She's sick and won't sleep

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fmcquinn, Apr 11, 2011.

1. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

One of my DDs has had a runny nose and slight congestion the past couple of days. Today she developed a fever. Before bedtime, we cleared her nose, rubbed on some baby Vaporub, and gave her some Tylenol. That was around 6 pm. It's now 11 and she has been awake and crying off and on since bedtime. She'll go back to sleep nearly instantly if I hold her, but I dont want to hold her all night. My other DD is sleeping through but I dint know how much more of her sister's crying any of us can take. What else can I do?!

2. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

We've had quite a few nights like that. I have a thumb sucker who can't suck when her nose is stuffed and its horrible when she get sick. Congestion is the worst because you can't relieve it much for them. A lot of friends suggested to us to get a cool mist humidifier. Most people swear by them when their kids are sick. We also tried saline spray once, but I found it hard to pin them down to do it. She may be due for another dose of Tylenol. Even if her fever is down, she could be achy or have a sore throat. I think Mommy's cuddles are the best medicine. Good luck, maybe her sister wont catch it.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Perhaps she can't sleep laying flat. Can you elevate her mattress, put a bunch of pillows underneath her and make sure she's good and booger-less? I agree with the Tylenol, too.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

I hope you could help her and everyone get some sleep! I agree with elevation, it always work for us. She could also have an ear infection. Whatever it is, feel better soon!

5. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My girls are the same...they aren't great sleepers to begin with but when they are sick they do NOT sleep. I have had many nights like that this year. I would rather they have a stomach bug than a cold because at least then they will sleep.

I often end up either sitting with the sick one in the chair in their room or we bring her to bed with us, that way when she wakes up, or won't sleep at all, at least I'm lying down and comfortable. I have tried elevating the crib but they move around so much when they sleep they often don't stay at the right end of the crib. Try the humidifier because that can help. I often turn it on an hour or so before they go to bed to get things nice and moist in their room for bedtime. I hope she's better soon so everyone can get some sleep :hug:.

6. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

The humidifier was going but she just wouldn't stay in the crib. DH and I tag-teamed for awhile but then she wouldn't even sleep lying on us--just flopped around and cried. My poor baby. :( I think it's just a cold, but she was scratching her ears. I'll keep an eye out, and hopefully tonight will go better. Thanks!

7. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

HUGS!!! I went through this every night last week with DD. I ended up sleeping in the glider in her room or DH would sleep in the recliner with her. THere was one night she went to bed at 8, up at 9 and sleep 20 min back and forth until 5 am then up for the day at 730. It will get better, I think the 3-5th day was the worst :( just do what you can to make her comfortable