Shorter cervix, Steroid shots, Ffn testing

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by clb8899, Apr 9, 2008.

1. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

On Friday the 4th, my cervix measured 2.9. On Tuesday the 8th it was down to 1.6. No dilation & no contractions. Both babies have good heartbeats. My OB has been trying to get a hold of my peri since Tuesday. I guess they've been playing phone tag. Thursday, I go in for my first steroid shot. Friday, I go for another one & get the Ffn testing done. I know what the steroid shots do. I know what the Ffn test is---I was just wondering if anybody can tell me how accurate it is or isn't. I know I've read about it here before, but I didn't really pay attention because it didn't apply to me. Well, now it does. I hope I can sleep tonight!! Oh, I almost forgot. As of Tuesday, no more lifting.......anything. Still not on bedrest, but I somehow feel I will be soon.

2. erwelch

erwelch Well-Known Member

I just got out of the hospital for all the same stuff. I had a positive ffn test on monday so had to go into the hospital to get started on the shots. When I got there & got hooked up to the monitors I was contracting every 2mins although I couldn't feel them. I then had to be admitted & when they checked me I was 1cm dilated which made everyone really freak out. I stayed overnight & was put on inderal to try to stop the contraction which did nothing so I contracted every 2mins all night long. They switched me to the terbutaline in the morning which worked a little better but didn't completely clear them up.

My DR explained that the ffn test is only about 60% predictive that you will deliver within the next 2wks, this is my 3rd ffn test & the 1st that has come back positive. We have no NICU here so they are super cautious with twin pregnancy, they babies have to be airlifted to a bigger city about an 11/2 away. I am now back home with a promise to be on strict bedrest, which is going to be super hard with my 18mth old home with me. I am going to do my best the keep these girls in for another 2wks at least, the terbutaline really stinks!

I wish you the best & hope that you don't have to go on any medication. My pregnancy has been totally problem free until Mon with the ffn test, I all happened so quick but I am so greatful to have made it this far without any problems! Best of luck....

3. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

I found out Thursday that I can't get steroid shots because I'm diabetic. Apparently it would raise my blood sugar enough that it could harm them more than help them. I go into the OB this afternoon to discuss my options. I only need 4 more weeks. I hope I can do it!!

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug99:

5. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

My doctor said if it came back negative, its 99% accurate that you will not go into labor in the next 2 weeks, and if its positive then there is only a 16% chance you'd go into labor. But I've read many different things on here so I don't know which one is right.

6. babydrivers

babydrivers Well-Known Member

My OB told me negative means 99% chance no babies for two weeks....If positive, somewhat unreliable, but approx. 8% chance of labor. The negative readings seem to be a lot more meaningful. If positive, I think the doctors just become very cautious and conservative with care, which is not a bad thing at all.

I'm glad you'll be receiving the steroid shots...I've read these can make a significance difference in the babies.

Take it easy...Perhaps put yourself on modified bedrest if possible. It can make a huge difference and certainly won't hurt!

:hug99:

7. mytwins2

mytwins2 Well-Known Member

I agree with pps. My doctor as well as Dr. Google saidf the same thing; if the fFN test comes back negative that means there's very little chance of delivering within 14 days and if it's positive, there's a chnace one might deliver but that's not always the case. We've been getting fFn tests every 2 weeks since 24 weeks and we are getting another in a week when we hit 28 weeks. It's very re-assuring. I'm surprised you're not on bed rest - maybe because you are much further along. At 20 weeks my cervix was 2.2cm and at 24 weeks it was 1.5. Had the steroid shots at 24wks. I've been on strict bed rest with no bathroom privileges since 20 weeks. Looking forward to getting out of bed maybe at 32 weeks for a few minutes a day. good luck!!!