Should I call the O.B.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mom23sweetgirlies, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

On Sunday my oldest DD started complaining of a sore throat and then on Monday she had a cough, fever of 101, headache, body aches and felt miserable. She is still sick but feeling better and the fever only lasted one day. On Monday night my chest started to hurt and by Tuesday my head/ears felt congested and I have a cough and mucous in my chest. Today my body started to ache as well, but so far no fever. My DH has it too but so far the twins do not. I have no idea if it is the swine flue or just a nasty cold, but I've read that if you're preggo and think you have it to call, but I don't want to overreact either. WWYD?

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd call. Our OB office is very relaxed about calling for every "stupid" thing you think is going on. They would much rather have you come in and get checked out,ect. than have something happen to you or your baby.

3. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I would say that if you are concerned you should go see your doctor. If nothing else for ease of mind.

1 person likes this.
  4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Ditto! It wouldn't hurt to make the call!

5. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I would call. My kids had something flu-like for 2-3 days a two weeks ago. I started up with the last round of kids to get sick. I put in a call to my midwife. She gave me some things to look out for, and said that if I had a temperature over 100 to call them so they could order tamiflu for me. The stupid thing is that I was using a thermometer that wasn't working right for me, so by the time I switched thermometers and realized that indeed I had a low grade fever I was on the mend. I don't think my temperature went much over 100, but on my 'better' feeling day I was at 99.9. Still don't know if it was swine flu, but what we had matched the descriptions some doctors were giving.

What I find bizarre is how some articles are saying it's severe and hitting people hard for like a week or more...and other sources have doctors quoted saying that the majority of their patients are recovering from it in 2- 3 days or so, and that it's been relatively mild compared to the seasonal flu. Can't we get the story straight?

6. mom23sweetgirlies

I know Susanna it is so confusing! I think I will call but I definitely can't go in and be seen. One of the twins is sick today now too and my O.B. office is a 6 hour round trip ferry ride away. I'm not overly concerned because my oldest DD is starting to feel much better and so far no fever for me.

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Chelsea,

Is there a general drop in clinic you could go to near by?
    I mean, yes you are pregnant, but you don't need to see an OB for the flu. If I felt sick I'd call the clinic first and mention that I'm pregnant and see if they thought I needed to see the OB, especially mentioning that you see one you'd have to ferry it too (if that's not obvious, don't know if there is one there in your town).

8. mom23sweetgirlies

I haven't called yet just because I don't feel too awful and don't have a fever. If I get worse I will call the local clinic. We don't have a local OB although the one I go to does travel out here once a month which is nice. I have an appointment with her on the 18th.

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness you don't feel too awful! I hope you feel better very soon!!! and just out of curiosity what happens if someone goes into labor and the OB is not there?

10. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that you aren't feeling too bad.
    We had this stuff at our house about two weeks ago and I was scared too death. It ened up being just a cold that ran it's course for alittle over a week on all of us. We had coughing,stuffy noses,and the kiddos & DH had this eye junk stuff that was real yucky.
    My OB told me that I could take Robitussion DM for cough & congestion. I only took it a two nights and it helped!
    Best of Luck to you and your family!
    Hope everyone feels better soon :)

11. mom23sweetgirlies

I called this morning even though I feel pretty much the same because my friend told me our clinic will do the test and I'm curious to know. I have an appointment at 1:15 to get the swab test done. In a way I kind of wish I would have called earlier because the Tamiflu works best within the first 48 hours, but then again I honestly don't feel too awful and I don't like taking any type of drugs while I'm pregnant.

Thanks Heather! Our closest hospital is in Ketchikan, like I said a 6 hour round trip ferry ride away. Pregnant woman here go to Ketchikan 2 weeks before their due date to wait for labor to start or 1 week before a scheduled c/s. If you go into labor before that most likely you would be put on the medivac to Ketchikan, Anchorage or Seattle depending on how far along you are.