Should women be allowed to breast-feed anywhere they want?

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Jan 30, 2008.

?

Should woman allowed to breastfeed anywhere?

1. Yes, it's natural and good for the baby.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes, but be discreet about it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, total strangers don't have to be exposed to that.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other, please explain.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

There is a poll on one of my local TV stations right now on a womans right to breast feed in public.

Their poll said A bill making its way through the State House would guarantee nursing moms the right to breast-feed in public and private locations.

I also found some additional info on National Conference of State Legislatures web site

On this site I found out that only Twenty-one states exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws!
    Those states are Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

I am not 100% sure but I believe that means that if you are caught breastfeeding in public in states not written above you could be arrested for indecent exposure, public nudity or obscenity

2. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

UGH It was supposed to be a poll with these options

Yes, it's natural and good for the baby.

Yes, but be discreet about it.

No, total strangers don't have to be exposed to that.

Can a Mod please make this a poll here

3. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

I breastfeed and I say YES you should be able to BF anywhere you want. On the other hand I usually cover up because really you should try to be descreet about it. I dont tandum nurse anywhere but my car and cant really cover myself up (the babies hate being covered anyway) I get a few strange looks from passers by but hey I am in my car. I really dont think anyone has the right to arrest a nursing mom!! :angry:

On and intersting OT note... here in MT you can also stop and pee on the side of the road and not get an indecent exposure ticket! :p Because rest areas are few and far between!!

4. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

To be honest with you i get a little weird when i see a woman breastfeeding sitting on a bench in the middle of the mall. I say Yes but please be descrete.. :)

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I think women should be able to bf anywhere. Discreet is preferred.

6. K*D*B

K*D*B Well-Known Member

I think a woman should be able to breastfeed anywhere. I myself could not/would not. I think they should be descreet. I really don't want to see a boob at the mall. KWIM? I did see a woman once at Pottery Barn sitting on a couch spralled out nursing her baby when I first walked in the door. I was a nursing mom at the time and that caught me off guard. Just think if it was an 8 year old boy. Or my DH.

Cari

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

People need to get over it. Humans are animals...this is the intended way for them to be fed upon entering the world.

Where do you expect a BF woman to feed their child when out in public? A public bathroom? That's disgusting. Would you eat your lunch in there?

I think that getting hung up on this issue is just an extension of society's bodily shame/sexual repression. Get over it.

8. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

I say YES a women has the right to BF in public!! I breastfed my DD's and there where times they had to eat and going to find a place to do it wasnt possible. I always covered up but I am sure in the process of getting situated someone might have seen something but it wasnt on purpose. It upsets me the comments made to women who are Bf in public. I know its a breast but come on its not being exposed for a sexual purpose. WHat is a mom to do if she has a baby that has to eat now? Go use a bathroom? Would you want to go eat in a bathroom or sit in one to feed your baby? We wouldnt expect a person to eat there, so why expect a mother doing what comes naturally to feed her baby in one. There arent always places designated for a mom to feed her baby but on a bench in the mall or a store. I rarely see a mom just pull out her breast and expose herself and not be discreet, I would say at least 98% of the time she covers herself up. We are exposed to so many other things as we go about our daily lives, PDA in public or more, smoking, nudity,and violence that most of the time yes it might bother us but we really dont think much of it or look the other way. Yet if see a mom BF in a public place it makes people uncomfortable or disgusts them. I know BF isnt for everyone, but for those of us who have or do Bf please dont go make us hide it. Its a beautiful and magical thing.

9. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I say yes. I prefer being discreet myself. You can feed a baby with out showing your boobies. My Grandma remembers mothers feeding their babies by just whipping out a boob where ever and nobody batted an eye. In fact my Grandfather-in-law loved watching mothers nurse, not because he was a dirty pervert but because he thought it was amazing and beautiful.

10. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2IrishBlessings @ Jan 30 2008, 07:10 PM) [snapback]597805[/snapback]
    I say YES a women has the right to BF in public!! I breastfed my DD's and there where times they had to eat and going to find a place to do it wasnt possible. I always covered up but I am sure in the process of getting situated someone might have seen something but it wasnt on purpose. It upsets me the comments made to women who are Bf in public. I know its a breast but come on its not being exposed for a sexual purpose. WHat is a mom to do if she has a baby that has to eat now? Go use a bathroom? Would you want to go eat in a bathroom or sit in one to feed your baby? We wouldnt expect a person to eat there, so why expect a mother doing what comes naturally to feed her baby in one. There arent always places designated for a mom to feed her baby but on a bench in the mall or a store. I rarely see a mom just pull out her breast and expose herself and not be discreet, I would say at least 98% of the time she covers herself up. We are exposed to so many other things as we go about our daily lives, PDA in public or more, smoking, nudity,and violence that most of the time yes it might bother us but we really dont think much of it or look the other way. Yet if see a mom BF in a public place it makes people uncomfortable or disgusts them. I know BF isnt for everyone, but for those of us who have or do Bf please dont go make us hide it. Its a beautiful and magical thing.

:Clap: :Clap:
    I agree! What I don't understand is why is it completely acceptable to see 90% of a breast on public television, but not in a public setting? It is a part of the human body....and an 8 year should be told what it is being used for, to feed a baby!

I breastfed my girls in public, I tried to cover up but it made me awfully hot. So, sometimes I didn't cover up all the way. If I flashed someone, it wasn't on purpose...and I really could care less what they think! I was feeding my child!

11. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

I would rather have a lady with her boobs hanging feeding her child..then her child screaming the whole time. My girls got fed on a plane to Turkey. I had a man sitting next to me. I told him..I have to feed my babies. I will try to cover up the best I can..but you might want to look away. :) LOL

I voted yes anywhere and anytime. Its natural. However..when I did it in public..I was discreet about it. I didn't whip it out for the whole World to see...but I have friends who did..and do. LOL I have no problem with it either way...

Brandy

12. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

Yes and please be discreet about it.

13. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Yes, women should be allowed to breastfeed anywhere. I think it's really sad that our society has sexualized breasts to the point that a mother has to feel awkward about feeding her baby.

As for the discreet bit... I've never seen a woman use breastfeeding as an excuse to flaunt her body. I don't think we need the ambiguity of "being discreet" written into the laws. That would just give people an out when they break the law by claiming the mother wasn't being discreet enough.

edited for spelling... dang math brain taking over on me

14. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

The question should be,
    How did we ever get to a position where it is not okay?
    21 states have made it okay?
    When Why and How did it ever become not okay?

15. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Gordana @ Jan 30 2008, 06:19 PM) [snapback]597824[/snapback]
    Yes and please be discreet about it.

My problem...is everyone has their own "thoughts" on what discreet is.

What is it to you? What if the mother is feeding an older baby..and he keeps knocking the blanket off and her boob shows? (my son did this ALL THE TIME)

I am not saying this to only you...but to anyone who thinks it should be "discreet".

Brandy

16. Kim5kids

Kim5kids Well-Known Member

I say they should be allowed to feed where and when they want, as long as they are covered up I don't see a problem with it.

17. caba

caba Banned

I said, yes, be discreet. But at the end of the day, you gotta feed your kids, so do it where ever and however you need to. I never breastfed, so I don't really know how it feels. I think I might be embarrassed with my boob out in public, that's why I said "be discreet". But that is maybe just my own personal feeling. Like some pP said, if your older kid pulls the blanket off, no one should make you feel bad or act like you did something wrong. So, I would say, try and be discreet if possible, but if not, don't worry about it. Feed your kids.

18. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

:laughing: I obviously (BF mod here ;)) think that NIP is not a problem. The "discreet" thing is funny to me too, b/c it's not like I'm trying to flash people. I'm more worried about people seeing my stretch-mark ridden, flabby tummy than my boob! Elizabeth is at the age now where she is getting pretty distracted while nursing and unlatches alot and then goes back to eating. SO I guess there is potential for someone to catch a flash of boob! I have a nursing cover that I use at the pool, in restaurants, etc. but she is getting to the point where she doesn't want to be covered up. I really only use it anymore to keep her from being distracted by what is going on around us and not to keep others from seeing her nursing - kwim? I see alot of other much more disturbing things in public than a breastfeeding mom - teenage girls with REALLY LOW jeans and bellies hanging out, rolls of skin hanging out of clothes, gross feet in flip flops, etc. So I'm in the "get over it" camp :)

19. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

QUOTE(a1cbrandy @ Jan 30 2008, 05:31 PM) [snapback]597844[/snapback]
    My problem...is everyone has their own "thoughts" on what discreet is.

What is it to you? What if the mother is feeding an older baby..and he keeps knocking the blanket off and her boob shows? (my son did this ALL THE TIME)

I am not saying this to only you...but to anyone who thinks it should be "discreet".

Brandy

I hated that, Emma did it to me all the time.

To me discreet is making an attempt to be covered or turn away. We don't always succeed but at least we tried.

Funny enough I found the best way to be discreet was to stand or walk while nursing. No one really seems to notice you're doing it even when you have two little legs poking out from under a blanket. I guess people thought I was trying to rock the baby to sleep.

20. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

If you're actually nursing, you aren't exposed unless you aren't wearing a shirt. Between the drape of the shirt and the baby's head, there is precious little to see. Only in the latching on/switching sides process would anything show. I generally used a blanket for that part, but otherwise the baby's head was generally more than adequate coverage. Good thing I live in TN, I guess! :p My sons saw me bf all the time at home, and never thought a thing about it (they were 8.5 and 11 when the girls were born), so I highly doubt they'd be freaked out by seeing a woman bfing in the mall. They already know the score.

Besides, with all the teenage girls barely wearing anything, how hard-up do you have to be to be scoping out the nursing moms?

21. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Like a PP said, I think adding "be discreet" to any sort of breastfeeding law is unfair. Any woman feeding her baby in public is doing just that -- feeding her baby, not hanging her boobs out there to attract attention.

Actually, maybe there are women who don't cover up to make a statement....but it's sad that our society is so hung up about this that they feel a need to do so.

I BF my older one in public, although not that often, because she was a little monkey and wouldn't sit still long enough to nurse with distractions. And, plenty of times she'd pull off the nursing cover or shawl or whatever I was using -- and this was before 10 months, when she weaned. So, it's not just older babies who do that.

What is "discreet" anyway? I really don't think we can legislate the use of nursing covers....

22. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(rubyturquoise @ Jan 30 2008, 07:55 PM) [snapback]597876[/snapback]
    Besides, with all the teenage girls barely wearing anything, how hard-up do you have to be to be scoping out the nursing moms?

Seriously! There are a lot more exciting things to be seen out there....

23. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Women should be able to breastfeed anywhere. I know that I try to be discreet when others are around, but dd likes to pull the cover off so that she can watch what is happening.

24. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

Someone once told me to use a blanket and I told them to put a blanket over their head and eat lunch. In all my life I never saw a person use breastfeeding to show their body off... more than not they were being overly modest. I don't know when breastfeeding became dirty or perverse but its just sad... I think more moms need to nurse in public because nursing should be the norm not the exception.

25. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

I voted on the first option. I never bf the girls but plan on bfing any future children and it really irks me that so many people get up in arms about nursing moms in public. I have seen 12 yr old girls wearing hardly any clothes, booty shorts with their butts hanging out and no one bats an eye (except me I guess ;)) and that is considered okay and normal, and when someone spots a nursing mother doing what nature intended they get all crazy and angry and offended. I can't believe some of the stories I have heard about nip moms being asked to use the bathrooms by waiters and security guards in public places. Ugh!! That is totally wrong and embarrsing (sp?). What gives a perfect stranger the right to make comments on how a mother is feeding her child? If people don't like it they should just look away and keep walking. I think it is mostly like this in the US too, I have heard it's completely normal in other countries. If only it could be like that here....

26. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

while I don't have any issues about women breastfeeding in public and I completely agree that between the top of the shirt and the baby's head there is VERY little to see - in fact I once walked up to someone at a church breakfast to admire her baby and NEVER realized she was nursing - and then I was the embarrassed one - not her as I thought I was disturbing her....but please let me give you a flip side

while I realize that those that extended nurse generally don't do so in public anymore - I did have an experience once where a child of about 2 to 2 and a half finished eating his hot dog and fries in the restaurant I was working in, and the then stood up in the high chair while his mother whipped out her boob for him to finish off his lunch - all the while she was staring me down in defiance - THAT is the part I think that people are referring to as "discreet"...come on - if the child is old enough for a hot dog and french fries, then he can have a sippy of whole milk (or if you're not using that then express some BM for his cup) - she was purposely waiting for me to say something...and I don't think that was right - if you're feeding an infant that has no other food source or has very limited amounts of solids then thats one thing - but if a toddler needs a drink after lunch its a different ball game!

27. azmomto2

azmomto2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jan 30 2008, 07:09 PM) [snapback]597804[/snapback]
    I think that getting hung up on this issue is just an extension of society's bodily shame/sexual repression. Get over it.

I totally agree. We are supposed to support women who make the choice to bf and that means making it as easy for them as possible. I wish more places had private nursing rooms (my favorite mall does) but most places don't. I got horrible looks when I was bf'ing the boys and I always did it just one at a time and very discreetly so I just don't understand the disgust I recieved.

I finally told one woman that if she didn't stop staring at me I was going to whip 'em both out and tandem feed right there at the restaurant. I know, it wasn't very nice but she did at least stop staring!

28. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I say yes, women should be allowed to BF in public. Society needs to get over it.

29. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I'm definitely an anytime, anywhere girl. If a baby needs to be, they need to be fed. If a woman is fine enough with her body that she exposes a little more than I would, that's her decision. If it was common to see babies being fed in public, then the aforementioned 8 year old boy might not be so shocked to see it.

30. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(AmynTony @ Jan 30 2008, 06:34 PM) [snapback]597931[/snapback]
    while I realize that those that extended nurse generally don't do so in public anymore - I did have an experience once where a child of about 2 to 2 and a half finished eating his hot dog and fries in the restaurant I was working in, and the then stood up in the high chair while his mother whipped out her boob for him to finish off his lunch - all the while she was staring me down in defiance - THAT is the part I think that people are referring to as "discreet"...come on - if the child is old enough for a hot dog and french fries, then he can have a sippy of whole milk (or if you're not using that then express some BM for his cup) - she was purposely waiting for me to say something...and I don't think that was right - if you're feeding an infant that has no other food source or has very limited amounts of solids then thats one thing - but if a toddler needs a drink after lunch its a different ball game!

You might get slaughtered for this... but as a BF mother myself I am going to AGREE with this and risk getting slaughtered myself. The debate is never ending though... How old is too old to bf? The limit is obviously not the moon, but who says when enough is enough? I dont know the answer and dont want to start that debate, BUT I do think there is a point when it is just too much. Ditto the rest of your post.

31. PetiteFleur

PetiteFleur Well-Known Member

QUOTE(melissao @ Jan 31 2008, 12:50 AM) [snapback]597868[/snapback]
    I see alot of other much more disturbing things in public than a breastfeeding mom - teenage girls with REALLY LOW jeans and bellies hanging out, rolls of skin hanging out of clothes, gross feet in flip flops, etc. So I'm in the "get over it" camp :)

That's a good point. I honestly think it's not the potential sight of a boob or skin that bothers some, but sadly, the act of nursing itself. I have no idea why and I think that's really sad.

I BF for 14 months, but didn't do it in public much (I'm embarrassed to say that's probably due to me conforming to other people's comfort levels. along with the fact that I found the logistics a PITA). I would usually make sure we went out between feedings or brought some EBM. I always BF in planes on take off and landing and there really wasn't much to see anyway.

I really hope society makes some headway with this issue. Sometimes I think BF'ing Moms get token support via the media, etc, but in the real world, not so much sometimes.

32. womb for 2

womb for 2 Well-Known Member

My son is 14 and I would much rather him see a mom that is breastfeeding that most of the billboard adds that are out there, or commercials for that matter.

Sam

33. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I think a woman should breastfeed and the word discreet shouldn't even come to mind. Usually nothing shows anyway. I find the coverups just bring more attentionto the whole thing, not to mention after the first month or 2 most babies don't like eating with blankets over their heads.

As unreasonable as standing and nursing your 2 year old in his high chairs might sound, I think it still needs to be protected by the law. Kind of the same way the 'freedom of speech' the first amendment protects people from saying whatever they want.

34. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the AAP now recommends BF until two. My twins weaned themselves shortly after their 1st bday, but I think Elizabeth will probably nurse past her first bday and that is fine with me. In fact I will be so sad when she weans b/c I don't think I'll be having anymore babies :( I imagine that if she continues to nurse much past 1 year it will probably be when she wakes up in the morning, at bedtime, etc. So we would be at home anyway! I think the "right" age to wean is up to the mother and the child, not the government.

35. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jan 31 2008, 12:09 AM) [snapback]597804[/snapback]
    People need to get over it. Humans are animals...this is the intended way for them to be fed upon entering the world.

Where do you expect a BF woman to feed their child when out in public? A public bathroom? That's disgusting. Would you eat your lunch in there?

I agree. When bottlefeeding parents leave the room, then so will I.