Should you be concerned about the frequency of braxton hicks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by msamoyedny, Aug 16, 2008.

1. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

I know my doctor told me to call him if I have more than 5 contractions in an hour and I've only been having a few a day, so I'm good. However, my sister in law is 33 weeks pregnant and is having a lot of braxton hicks contractions. Does anyone know if there is a "magic number" of braxton hicks that one can have in an hour without being concerned about PTL?

2. jec34e

jec34e Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marisa55 @ Aug 16 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]933465[/snapback]
    I know my doctor told me to call him if I have more than 5 contractions in an hour and I've only been having a few a day, so I'm good. However, my sister in law is 33 weeks pregnant and is having a lot of braxton hicks contractions. Does anyone know if there is a "magic number" of braxton hicks that one can have in an hour without being concerned about PTL?

In the beginning of when I started having them, I was told anymore than 4 per hour was too many and to call or go in. Then it went up to 6 for me and finally 8. But I made multiple trips to L & D because I had 4 or more per hour.
    She should definitely keep an eye on that.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

My docs told me to call or come in if I had 6 or more of any type of contraction.

4. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

At first I was told five per hour. BUT, when I continued to have a lot, despite meds (my cervix was beginning to shorten), the doc upped the number to 10 per hour. I think if she is having 4-5 per hour, she should call. That way, they can check her out and make sure that the BH contractions are benign and not causing any changes to the cervix.

5. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

I was also told 6. I think they expect some and consider it "normal", especially toward the end of pregnancy but I think that they make the determination also based on whether or not there are any cervical changes. With my last pregnancy I did go into a labor pattern but was not progressing and I still got the fluids, terb, and Nifedipine to take at home. Are they coming on regularly and not stopping with H20 or position changes?

6. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marisa55 @ Aug 16 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]933465[/snapback]

I was told if they are under 35 seconds not to worry, just considered 'irritable'.

This is what I was told when you should call in for:

For singleton- 4 or more 35 seconds or more per hour.

For twins- 6 or more 35 seconds or more per hour.

I would urge your sister in law just to call and ask- they will give her what should be correct for yer.

7. Mom2SaraandSam

Mom2SaraandSam Well-Known Member

I've been having 3-4 per hour for most of the day every day. I told my doctor and he said that was too many...he checked my cervix (he couldn't even get to it...it's that far up and shut) and did some other test involving a speculum and pointy object (the results will be back in 2 weeks) and pronounced that I'm probably tired and dehydrated. Anyway, it's best to check.