Silly Lunch Box Question

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cm301263, May 27, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

Looking for opinions on what type of lunch box works the best and is your favorite?

Metal I figured could dent and rust and clang

Plastic I figured could crack/break

Nylon Insulated type I figured would be a bit too soft and would crush things like a banana etc... that I may have in there unless I put everything in plastic storage containers (not sure I want to do that)

What do you all like best that have used them??

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I use the soft insulated type (from L.L. Bean specifically) and put their food in hard plastic containers. I usually do carrots, grapes or apples, occasionally bananas and they make it okay. They do better if they're on the not quite so ripe side. I like the plastic containers because I don't have to buy a million sandwich baggies.

These are the containers we've used for at least two school years now, maybe three. I can't remember exactly when we bought them... We have a bunch of the different options. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078K40P6/?tag=mytwins02-20

They're used every day and washed at the end of the week, I wipe them down each morning. None of them have broken.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2016
  3. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We use the pottery barn kids classic lunch bag:). It's hard on the inside soft in outside and plenty of room. Using an ice pack I've had yogurt uneaten come home plenty cold!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used the soft insulated type as well with reusable plastic containers (Lunch Blox by Rubbermaid...have used them for kindergarten and first grade and they are still in good shape for second grade).  

1 person likes this.
  5. cheesehead4girl

cheesehead4girl Well-Known Member

i recently bought my kids lunch boxes from pack it and they are working out great. i use both plastic containers and small ziploc bags for items to go in the lunch boxes.

tanya

mom to haven and holden - 7 years old

6. TD

TD Well-Known Member

We have used the Roots lunch boxes that Costco sells, for many years. 

It is soft, has an insulated pocket on the outside, a waterbottle pocket on the outside, and inside there is a mesh pocket for the ice pack and then the main area holds an assortment of plastic containers.  I like it because the main area has a zip out liner that is easily washed.  The mesh pocket can hold two ice packs when it is warmer out, so the food stays cool. 

Because I use plastic containers, nothing gets crushed. Occasionally I will send a banana, and it seems to do fine.

7. LaraLaine

LaraLaine New Member

I made my own fabric one from cotton print on the outside, thermal layer, and waterproof fabric on the inside. For the waterproof fabric, I cut up a shower curtain I both for a few pounds which is cheaper than buying off the roll. I added a carry handle and closing flap with plastic snap. I can just throw it in the washing machine and it's working well so far. 

I find the plastic lunch boxes crack, the nylon ones rip and I they are awkward to clean.

http://lifelibertyandmissingsocks.blogspot.co.uk

8. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I like the 31 Bag (not the lunch, but the thermal tote).  Great size.  I also pack stuff in reusable plastic containers, so food doesn't end up squished.  I normally have a Costco lunch box backup that works pretty well too.

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Land's End here. I need to buy more and waiting for the new ones to come out... They're perfect to fit our lunch containers (the easy lunchboxes) and a drink, and they stay cool for hours.