Silly question about switching to convertible carseats

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JoannaD, Apr 3, 2011.

1. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

We're ready to make the switch to convertible carseats, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get both babies out of the house and into their carseats by myself. Any tips or suggestions? We have a garage, but I need to get DH to clean it out so I can start parking in there again.

2. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

our twins are still in their carriers but I stopped bringing the seats in the house about a month ago. I just take one out and leave one in the living room strap in Willa, she always rides on the passenger side, then come in and get the diaper bag and Wyatt and off we go. 9 times out of 10 I have my oldest with me when we get home becaues for the most part we still just go out to pick her up unless we are running erronds. So she carries Willa Grace inside. I try and plan my erronds around time to pick her up from school.

3. elhardy26

elhardy26 Well-Known Member

i left one baby in the exercauser in the kitchen (close to the garage door), while i put the other one in. when they were a little older one just sat in the back hall playing with the shoes while I put one in. It's not as bad as you think..

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I highly recommend NOT changing for the reasons you are wondering... I kept in the carriers until 20 months... I loved the double snap & go... with that you can buckle them up and keep them safe and STILL! and just leave the DSNG in the garage...

anyway, that's my 2cents...

if you do change, then yes, use an exersaucer or gated play area...

5. dra1408

dra1408 Well-Known Member

I am still using the infant carseats and I don't plan on changing anytime soon. Their carseats can be used for up to 35# and since neither is even 20# yet, I imagine we can use them for a while yet. However, I have not used the carriers since they were about 6 months old. What I do is take the diaper bags, purse, etc. out before we leave. Then I carry both out to the car at the same time. Open one door and put the first baby in. Then I shut her door and take the other baby to the other side and strap her in. Then I go back to the other baby and strap her in. It's a lot of juggling but it works for me. I'm very used to juggling two babies in my arms and doing other stuff too. This would work with convertible carseats too I think. I just like to do it this way so I never have to leave a baby alone out in the car while I go back in to get the other baby.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We had to go to convertible seats at 9 months because Michael outgrew his infant seat (he's 90th percentile). I have to say, it made things harder as far as getting them to the car. I would leave one in the crib or playpen or exersaucer and take one out, then come back and get the other one. I eventually had to ditch the exersaucer and playpen because they would just scream, but they are walking now, so it is a bit easier since I don't have to carry them. Of course I have to keep one from getting away while the other gets strapped in. I cannot put them in the seat and not strap them in anymore because they will climb out now. (But I don't take them too many places alone anymore because they go in opposite directions and are starting to really protest the stroller.)

7. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ok, one other piece of help... IF they are walking, get a few of the backpack harnesses... you can walk out with both of them and while putting the first in the carseat, you have the other on the harness and try to get them to stay very close to you, like wedge them in between you and the car with your body, and you have the harness on for the "just in case" that they run off... BUT... the problem with this and them being so young is that if you're not careful they will just bang their heads on everything in sight, like the car door etc.

yes, we had the carseats that went to 32 pounds too, so the height went quite a bit higher too. normally the kids can be within 1 inch of the top of the carrier, carseat rear facing, and just a word of info... they grow MUCH slower the 2nd year, like gaining an average of only 5 pounds... so even if you think they are getting close to the limits, they might last longer in the carrier.

good luck.

8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is something I never thought about. I just did it! But, I also live in a quiet neighborhood, on a dead end street. I park my car right outside the side door/porch we use to get into the house. We have a kitchen nook, so I would take one of the boys and run him into the car and strap him in, then go and grab the other and do the same. Or, I would also grab them both at the same time, set one down in the carseat and go over and do the other one. I switched them at nine months old into the RF convertibles.

If you have a play yard or something similar, you can place them in there and then go and grab them.

9. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I use my Moby wrap. I put one in the wrap and carry the other. They have been walking for a while now but I still do it this way. I have been doing it this way since they were 6 months old. I hated my snap 'n go and the infant carriers were killing my back so we switched them to the convertible car seats early. I have found this much easier. I also do this to get them in and out of places where I can't use the stroller.

10. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I bring out one girl and the bags, then return for the other. We don't have a garage, but are in our own driveway. I'm within 30 steps from each of them the whole time, so I think it's fine.