Silly Questions - Toe Nail Paint & C Section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ladypotter, May 24, 2010.

1. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

Hello all!! It looks like the OB has recommended a scheduled C Section for me at 37wks which is in 4wks and I am getting tired of looking at my ugly toenails. I was reading on another board (where the majority of these women are from Europe) and their hospitals do not allow them to have paint on their fingers or toes before surgery. Do any of you know if that is the same here in the states? I have tried to google it and am only seeing that maybe the fingernails because of the pulse ox thing they put on your finger...but nothing about toe nail polish. What do you think or any experience?

2. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I have never heard of that (I delivered my twins in CA) and you bet I had my toes and nails done! :)

3. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Never heard of that either - I've had three elective c-sections and was freshly manicured and pedicured for all ... my best pal (who also has twins and three elective sections) even had her makeup done at Neiman's before hitting the hospital for her third.

4. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I think the reason for this is that something to do with if you do not have enough oxygen, they can tell by looking at your finger/toenails. I may be wrong, but I think it's something close to this. I had a foot surger a while back and that is what I was told. No polish. For my c-section though, they didn't care (of course, it wasn't planned as I was 2 months early). I think I was supposed to have my contacts out too for some reason, but didn't and they said it was fine. They told me that if something happened they could get them out quickly enough! Not sure of the reasoning behind that either. FWIW - I did have mine polished.

5. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

They never told me that for my c-section...but I know when my mother had a mastectomy they told her no makeup or nail polish. Maybe it depends on the surgery? Call you doc and ask.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you're pale, they can tell how much oxygen you're getting by the color of your nail bed, however!! It is totally not reliable, and they put that finger thing on anyway, so I say paint them! Do it now while you have the time. :)

7. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

My c section is tomorrow and I'm doing my nails tonight. My OB said I could wear makeup & body lotion too !

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was allowed to have a pedicure prior to my c-section, I say check with your doc and if it's okay, go for it!

9. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

YAY!! MANI PEDI TIME!! Thanks Ladies! :laughing:

I am hoping to leave my contacts in too. I don't want pics with my glasses on and I'm sure I'll be too tired to remember to take them off.

10. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

I had a pedi the week before my C section too! Go for it!

11. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

My OB hasn't said anything about that yet. But I had a lap done last summer and my toe nails were painted for that and they never said anything.

12. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

I think it might be the type of surgery also. My c-sections they never said anything, but the prep before my in-vitro procedures and my d&c I was told no fingernail polish - didn't say anything about toes.

Laura

13. HettyA

HettyA Well-Known Member

Just had my emergency c-section last wednesday and on Tuesday my mom came in and did my toe nails...Nurse asked if she could get hers done. LOL So naw never heard of that I guess.