similac isomil?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lbzg, Oct 11, 2010.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

ok, who uses isomil and who likes it?? and, why do you use it? we have gone through every food in the book and my daughter still has reflux and is uncomfortable!!! so, we are trying soy!

2. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

Our boys just switched over to milk but Lorenzo was on Similac Soy. The doctor put him on it at around 3 months old. He kept spitting up after EVERY bottle. It did seem to help him & his transition to milk was a smooth one.

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Hmm...the soy formulas are not as healthy as the other ones. For some babies, they are necessary. But I know you have been just trying various formulas for only a couple of weeks, so i really would give the other formulas more of a chance before trying soy.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

soy was the first thing my pedi recommended when we were having so many issues...and my DD was a different baby after the first bottle!!! DS took a few days but it really worked...before you get into the really expensive stuff (Alimentum or Nutramigen) try a can of soy...it can't hurt...

and nutritionally all formulas are regulated strictly by the FDA so I don't think you would have an issue...mine didn't...by the time they were a year we made a smooth transition to milk also...

5. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Specialty formulas are exempt from FDA regulation :( FDA link Sees kind of crazy to me since infants needing specialty formulas are often a particularly vulnerable population.

Definitely talk to your pedi about which formula is best for your situation. And while we had good luck immediately with Alimentum, I know a lot of babies take a while to show improvement so I would urge you to give each formula a chance. I also know we took DS off the Alimentum as soon as he was able to tolerate regular formula.

Also, have you tried Similac Sensitive? DD did well on that and it is only a tad more expensive than regular formula.

And reflux really is temporary. I know it is hard to believe that now when you are in the middle of it, but it will go away. I promise!!! Hang in there!!!

6. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

Soy was the only formula that my girls could tolerate because of the reflux and we tried three or four others. They still had problems with the reflux, but not as bad. Trust your instinct. If you have tried other things and they don't work, but you think this will then try it.......you probably aren't wrong. :)

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Many pediatricians don't get much education on formulas and have a lot of their educational materials donated by one of the nmajor formula companies (I know this because I am one). Soy formula should be the LAST thing you try, especially with a girl. This is because the calcium and phosphorus in plant based formula is not as easily absorbed and it can set her up for osteoporosis later in life.

Also, if you think about how reflux happens, its all mechanical (sphincter muscles too floppy so stomach contents back up into esophagus), so formula changes often don't do much. Formula changes should only be done if you've tried reflux meds and things like elevating the head of the bed, smaller more frequent feedings, thickening, etc. and it hasn't improved. You also aren't going to see a change immediately. You need to give a formula at least a week before you say that it is or isn't working.