Similac recall

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinsnowwhat, Sep 22, 2010.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

http://similac.com/recall/

2. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Apparently their server is swamped and the phone line is jammed. Instead of providing a list of recalled lot numbers on the webpage, you have to enter a number and the computer tells you if the lot number you entered has been recalled (hence the swamped server). After nearly 30 minutes if trying, I discovered that the following lot was recalled:

85327T2. I purchased it at Costco.

I am still trying to enter the numbers of the two other boxes I bought. Joy! Good luck to others of you trying to get information.

3. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

OK--liquid formula has not been recalled so we are going to go get some of that tonight until the website is working better.

4. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

Here's some more info on the recall

I dumped some our formula down the drain because it was from an 8oz can, and using the formula from one of our 16oz cans.

5. twinsnowwhat

I finally got through and found that my large container from Costco has been recalled. To top it off the boys have been having stomach issues for the last couple of days. If it were me I wouldnt use any of the powder till this gets sorted out more.
    My little guy is still on formula for being so small.

6. cat mommy

DS has also been having stomach issues :(

7. schmack82

schmack82 Well-Known Member

[quote name='Shelly's twins' date='22 September 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1285212714' post='1699854']
    I finally got through and found that my large container from Costco has been recalled. To top it off the boys have been having stomach issues for the last couple of days. If it were me I wouldnt use any of the powder till this gets sorted out more.
    My little guy is still on formula for being so small.
    [/quote]
    What was the number on your batch that was recalled?

8. Sweet_Tara03

Sweet_Tara03 Member

All mine have been recalled...13 boxes!! Here are my lot #'s, hope it helps someone....88202T20, 90334T20 and 91574T20

9. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

Both of my Lot Numbers were recalled: 90369T20 and 88116T20. One was from Costco and the other from Walmart.

10. twinsnowwhat

11. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

[quote name='Shelly's twins' date='23 September 2010 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1285252667' post='1699959']
    90339T20
    [/quote]

Shelly is yours recalled too?

12. twinsnowwhat

yes - also purchased from Costco a couple of weeks ago maybe a month.

13. JoannaD

I've heard that everything with T2 or RB in the lot number has been recalled.

14. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

Thanks for info. How did you know? The big cans that I brought are both T2 lots. I went ahead and sent my dad to pick up a case of the liquid formula.........

15. JoannaD

FWIW- from comments from this article and from someone on another message board that I'm on. I did see that someone said that their T2 can wasn't recalled, but I'd be overly cautious right now. All my cans are T3 since we use Alimentum, but I'm going to run out and get some liquid formula because I'm seeing that sizes that aren't listed are being recalled. DH, who works for Quality Assurance at Hershey Chocolate, has said that this recall is being handled incredibly poorly since it's impossible to get onto any site to check the lot numbers. He insisted that our formula was fine since its 16oz cans, but now is ok with me getting liquid since other sizes than listed have been recalled.

16. JoannaD

I found a PDF file with alternate options, but I don't know how to attach a PDF to a post. I can email it to anyone whose interested in it. Just PM me your email address.

17. cat mommy

Alimentum is not part of the recall. I would feel totally safe using it. I have a lot of faith in Similac knowing what they are doing--we had a retailer sell us expired Neosure once and Similac handled it awesomely. But, yeah, they do need to post an actual list of lot numbers. :(

From Similac's wesbite:

18. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

OK can I just vent here for a second?

For something like this to happen to infant formula - that I feed my babies - is totally unacceptable to me. I am so mad at Similac right now!!! HOW does this happen?

Add to that the cost... Went out and bought $92 worth of the liquid formula this morning, which AT BEST will last me a week with my girls.

Argh!!!

19. HorseyLover

HorseyLover Well-Known Member

Anyone going to Enfamil powder instead of Similac liquid?

20. cat mommy

OK, I read that the FDA told Similac that they didn't have to recall it--that the formula was still safe. Similac chose to recall anyway out of an abundance of caution. So...that makes me personally think Similac/Abbott is a responsible company.

We will stick wtih Similac liquid because DS has a senstive tummy.

BTW--liquid formula is sterile and that is often recommend for very young babies because powder formula is not sterile and dose have bugs and stuff in it,just like regular food does. :shok:

21. twinsnowwhat

They finally posted the complete list - it is 38 pages long!! Can someone tell me if there is a way to post a pdf file? Hate to link to Similac site since that has been problematic. Here is the link though until I can figure out how to post a pdf.

22. cat mommy

Thanks Shelly!

23. JoannaD

We were nervous because the Alimentum that we have is the old Alimentum, not the Expert Care can. But we're ok after checking the list. My twin that is on the Alimentum was on the recalled Isomil. I'm wondering if that was why he was so fussy and upset on it now. I had assumed a soy and milk allergy/colic, but now I'm not so sure. But he's doing really well on the Alimentum, so I'm hesitant to switch at this point.

DH said the big issue was that it was a product that consumers need to use immediately and there was no way for people to check and see if they had recalled product because of the site issues. The list should have been posted from the start. He was impressed that it was a voluntary recall and that it means it was a quality issue, not a health issue. He also said the bugs are fairly common in the food industry. Gross! :bad:

24. twinsnowwhat

Call me stupid but is the larve (sp) something that could hatch in their bodies? Or is it all dead and just passing through?

I am not a doctor and I watch way too many medical shows.

25. JoannaD

DH said that the larve would be alive when ingested, but killed immediately due to our stomach acid. Still really gross to think about!

26. twinsnowwhat

Thanks Joanna!

27. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

So is alimentum (not expert care) on the recall list as well?

28. JoannaD

Nope, ours older cans of Alimentum (with the teddy bear on it) are ok to use. All the Alimentum is safe.

29. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Yeah we still have like 20 old cans. Its good to know. Thanks!