Single stroller for baby after twins

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marijanad, Dec 29, 2010.

1. marijanad

marijanad Well-Known Member

Anyone have recommendations? I have two year old twins, they'll be close to 2 1/2 when their little brother arrives. I still use a Maclaren double stroller for them when I'm out and about, but they
    are less and less into it lately. I rarely walk them alone in busy places, i.e. malls, so usually I have my husband or mom with me.
    Anyway, I am thinking two options when baby arrives:
    1. Just stick with a baby carrier for the first few months, and keep them in their double stroller, if I HAVE to take all three out
    2. Get a new single stroller for baby right away anyway and continue needing help with watching the twins? I would like to be able to take the baby out alone occasionally too, when I can leave the girls at home or something and go for a nice walk.

Anyone go through this? I love the idea of the carrier, big luxury since I never experienced it with twins, but then I wonder if I will be waking the baby a lot if I am putting him in and out?

Help! I consider myself a twin baby/toddler expert but single baby novice!!!

Thank you.

2. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

Congratulations! My twins were 20 months when our singleton arrived. I bought a carrier but rarely used it. If I went out the carseat went in the back of the tandem stroller, the heavier twin went in the front, and the lighter twin rode on the top by the handlebar. I always made sure she was safe of course. By the time they were 2 and a half they were kind of done with the stroller so I switched to a single stroller but they learned to hang on to the side of the stroller. I have not had a problem. You might just have to start off with a few short walks to get them used to always hanging on. I used "backpacks" (harnesses) at first just to make sure they were safe. If you are consistent it should work. The same rules apply at the grocery store. They hold the side of the cart and the baby is in the seat. It is nice to go grocery shopping now at any store because most grocery stores have carts with only one seat. I feel confident going anywhere with all three of them. A singleton is so nice after twins, enjoy!

3. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

We haven't made any decisions on what we're going to do for a stroller for the baby. We have the Kolcraft Tandem stroller and the Jeep Umbrella SBS and I really don't want to have to purchase another stroller. Right now we all go to the store so she stays in her carrier in the cart and the boys sit in the seats; Dad walks them into the store. I'm sure once the weather gets nicer we will end up getting a single stroller for her and the boys will ride in the SBS. As of right now the boys don't have a problem riding in the stroller. Not sure what I'll do when the day comes they protest. Hoping that day is far off in the future!

4. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

We actually thought so much about this before our 3rd baby arrived and my twins where 2 years old. We bought a a triple stroller made in New Zeland by the same company that makes Mountain Buggy. We thought we really needed this and we have only used it once for all three. It is not that great.

So, instead what do more often is the following. I bought a single stroller that the infant carrier clips into and the twins have to hold on to the side of the stroller. They do a pretty good job at this. But, I never go to places where they would be in danger. This is mostly at the park, etc. or my husband is with us. They are good at walking with the stroller though.

Now my 3rd baby is 5 months old. We manage to get out and about but my husband is most often with us.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys were 19 months old when I had Annabella. I had the double stroller from the boys. If we went out anywhere, as Annabella got older, I put one of the boys in the double stroller and put Annabella in her carrier in the stroller. Then one of the boys would walk. And if the walking child got tired, or didn't listen, I switched them. In the beginning, I kept the trips relatively short. I didn't want them long, for fear of what the boys would do! LOL!

When Annabella was itty bitty, I would carry her in the Baby Bjorn and the boys in the stroller. Then it was mostly just her in the double stroller and the boys walking(parks, zoos, etc). I just got tired of dragging the double stroller around when it was just for Annabella. So, on a spur of the moment decision, I traded in the double stroller and got a single stroller. The boys have done awesome with it. If we go anywhere, I'm usually by myself, so they are usually walking. The grocery store nearby has the grocery cart with the car in the front, so all three kids can go in that. And with Costco, I have two sit in the front, and one sits in the carriage part. Otherwise-the boys walk. If we are going to a fair or something, then we have a wagon they can use if need be.