Singleton after twins/breasts not leaking now?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by scrappycindy, Aug 10, 2012.

1. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

My twins were NICU babies, and were tube fed so I pumped for them. We never really got the hang of breastfeeding, and I gave up at 6 weeks with them. This time, I delivered via C-section at 38 weeks a healthy 7lb 9oz little boy. I've nursed exclusively. I've experienced pretty significant leakage since my milk came in. Now, though, my baby is almost 6 weeks, and I'm not leaking anymore. A few days ago, overnight, my baby slept almost 6 hours, and I was so painful on one side. My lactation counselor thought it might be a plugged duct. I've massaged it like crazy, and continued to nurse, as well as pump a couple times to help. The pain is almost gone now, but I'm not leaking on that breast first, and now the other one. I'm not drying up am I? John David seems satisfied, though. He's gained weight well so far (haven't weighed him in little over a week. (Gained 2 pounds over birth weight by 4 weeks) I'm so scared of "failing" this baby with BF too...

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, you aren't drying up. You just are making what he's requesting. Your body is finally figuring out how much John David needs. :) You may or may not feel full again until he has a growth spurt.

Congrats on getting through the first 6 weeks- it's all downhill from here.

1 person likes this.
  3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What Michelle said! It's totally normal to stop leaking. You'll also stop feeling full. Neither of these is an indication that there's a problem with your supply. Your body's regulating to your baby's needs! Yay! ;) Long stretches of sleep resulting in a dropped feed are prime times for getting plugged ducts. Nursing, massaging and emptying the breast will clear it right up. Well done.

Also, your baby has had your breast milk for 6 weeks. That's awesome! Even if for some unlikely reason you needed to stop cold turkey tomorrow, you would not have "failed" at breast feeding. You also did not "fail" your girls. They had your milk for six weeks too - that's awesome! :hug:

2 people like this.
  4. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the two PPs. It's normal to stop leaking at some point, once it regulates production properly. It's also possible that the painful side wasn't a plugged duct but just your body continuing to produce when the baby wasn't drinking. I get painfully full when my two sleep "through the night" (aka more than 4 hours at a stretch). It normally takes at least two decent meals from each of them or a really good pumping session for the pain to subside. But that gets better as your body adjusts to the new nighttime production levels.

5. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

I have no advice here, only a VERY sympathetic ear.

First, I don't think your first BFing experience was failing. Even if it was only for six weeks, you gave what you could under the circumstances. I am also a former NICU mom who beat herself up fiercely about the process. Looking back, I only hurt myself by berating myself for what I couldn't do, and didn't acknowledge or appreciate what I was able to do. Try to be easy on yourself.

Now, I am also a new mom of a singleton (DS is 3+ weeks) and totally freaking about BFing again! I share your fears and you are not alone in fretting. On a ligher note, I am, however, glad to hear that it is possible to finally stop leaking. The oddest white noises are making me leak - water running, car starting, air conditioner, the garbage disposal - sigh. I was starting to wonder if I'd ever be able to leave the house again! So, good luck with BFing and hope you are enjoying singleton first weeks.

1 person likes this.
  6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Just another to say--it's normal to stop leaking. And congrats on your baby (you too Arizona twins).

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Exactly what these ladies said. I've been breastfeeding Gigi for almost 10 months now and I never feel full, never leak, but she has never had formula and didn't have her first solids till 6m. Those first 6 weeks were actually oversupply and now your body is regulating. Great job making it to the 6 week mark going strong!!!!

8. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I have never leaked unless I've gone several hours (like 7+ hours) without nursing. I didn't with my singleton and I don't with my twins. I agree with everyone else that you're just making what he needs now and your supply is regulating.