Sitting up =Spitting Up?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AKilburn, Dec 27, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Adalynn is determined to sit straight up. When Im feeding her she will work to get sunday an upright position. However when she gets in that position she spits up everywhere!

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, Alice did that for a while. One of the tricks of reflux is to try to keep them as straight at the waist as possible. Sorry punkin.

3. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

Yes. My reflux baby actually got worse when she started sitting up and crawling because of all the pressure on her tummy.

4. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Haha, Bex that is what my dad calls me, even now!

The reflux had gotten so much better but now that she wants to sit up all the time oh man it's horrible! She loves to be in the bimbo and it can be hours after she ate but she STILL gets sick!

5. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

DD would want to sit up and then spit up. i always thought her upset tummy caused both the desire to sit up and the spit up. I don't think the sitting up caused the spitting up.

She has always needed to be more upright when she eats. Even in the NICU the nurses told me to hold her almost in a sit position to drink. After eating i always propped her up in a boppy for 15 to 20 minutes.

I am sure she has acid reflux but other than the spitting up (which still happens occasionally adn often quite a while after eating) she doesn't have any other symptoms. she never seems painful.
    Strangely, DS who rarely ever spit up can't miss his acid reflux meds without being painful.

6. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I'll give you a little hope. Just when we thought DD would never stop spitting up (She seemed to get better around 4 months as well, then started army crawling and sitting and barfing everywhere again!) at 9 months, the spit is about a once-a-day occurrence (although she has a cold right now so it's increased a bit with all the post-nasal drip).

Fair warning though, DD seemed to get worse after we introduced solid foods as well and started waking up at night more uncomfortable from it. I think regular food was making the reflux more acid-y (??). She seems to be getting better with that now, but I sure miss the STTN. She definitely still has reflux from what I can tell but just doesn't spit up much anymore.