Skin on belly after twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Twins08, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Twins08

Twins08 Well-Known Member

As you can imagine, at 38.5 weeks prego with the twins, I got quite the belly. I measured 48 weeks!

Well, the twins are babies #5 and 6. I lost all the weight on my body and then some, but still have a little pouch, and the skin on my belly looks horrible! It's like my belly was ran over by a truck or something. It's upsetting!

I'm now 5 weeks PP. Will the skin look any better there over time? Will anything make it look better besides surgery? I plan to have surgery to get rid of all the excess skin in a year or two.

I'm actually kind of embarrassed to have the OB see my chewed up belly at my next appointment. I also had a c-section, so I have a lovely scar there now too.

And last, the skin that was so stretched is sore to the touch. Does anyone know if that sensitivity will go away with time? I have to wear soft clothes around my waste, not jeans. Ughh!

TIA!

2. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

Thats terrible not to be able to wear jeans they are my everyday clothes now! My skin got a little better but not much its still really ugly and I hate it. I kinda blame having the twins then my youngest 51 weeks later so I didnt have alot of time to do anything before it happened again! Id be a bit worried about how sensitive you are but every one recovers at a different rate. Dont worry about the doctor Im sure he has seen everything before and Im sure he has seen worse. good luck anyway and congradulations on your new little ones!

3. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

My skin was really sore for a couple of months. Now that has gone away and is just a distant memory. I don't recall when exactly my skin started looking less scarred, but by six months I figured it was as good as it was going to get--and now not quite two months later, it looks better than it did then. So, yes, it gets better. :)

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hate to admit it, but my belly still has an extra layer of fat over it that I never had pre-twins. I hope it goes away one day, I exercise on a regular basis and do ab work, and it did help to some extent but it's not completely flat.

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My skin still hasn't gone back to normal. :blush: The soreness went away after a few months, but the skin is still very loose and it seems only surgery will "cure" me of it. :rolleyes:

6. Marya

Marya Well-Known Member

The sensitivity for me did go away but as for the excess skin...no...sadly no. I am going to look into having iot removed after I have done BF. As for the OBGYN - I wouldn't worry - I'm sure they have seen everything!

7. MARYLANE

MARYLANE Well-Known Member

The sensitivity in the scar area stayed for many months. Even now, I'm still not totally insensitive, meaning it feels different from the other parts of my body and sort of uncomfortable when someone (well, DH) touches it. I've realized that people live have very different post C-section recoveries (mine was pretty hard, while I've read of people feeling for the most part fine as early 2 weeks post-surgery) :mellow: .