Sleep help for my 2 month olds

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rayceryin12, Oct 30, 2012.

1. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I need some tips to get them to sleep on their own. We don't mind rocking then to sleep, but they won't stay down on their own. We swaddle as well and even that isn't working as well. This has been going in for weeks.

2. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Once you've rocked them to sleep, wait 20 minutes before you put them down - this is when they have moved from their still wakeful stage into their next stage of sleep. If they stir, just shush and lightly pat their back until they fall asleep. If they wake, within 45 min, try not to pick up, just keep patting and shushing them back to sleep.

If you want to try to not rock them to sleep - work out their natural sleep cues - around what time after first waking, are they ready to sleep again ie when do you notice their sleep cues from their last nap - 1.25, 1.5 hours etc? Look at the clock, remember this for next time, so that before they get to their tired stage, you can get them to bed. I would try placing them in the crib, swaddled, together and patting them until they are drowsy, first to sleep and later working your way towards not patting at all, perhaps a few days to a week later. Just be consistent at every sleep. Have the same lullaby, music, projector, soothing noises- use the same method each time so that they learn to associate this with sleeping.

There are other methods too - I'm in a bit of a hurry today, but hopefully someone will chime in here... GL!

1 person likes this.
  3. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

sorry, no clever tricks to add but they are still very little yet. Mine are just getting the hang of falling asleep alone and we're a month or so ahead of you. I'll be watching to see if anyone else has any magic advice to offer! I'm trying not to sweat it, these are my last babies so I am happy to do as much rocking and cuddling as I can! If I have to get stuff done I put them in bed, set my timer to go and cuddle them at regular intervals until either they're asleep or I've done everything I need to and I am free to snuggle babies again!! Good luck!

4. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

How long are the boys sleeping now? I swear I am a true zombie now. My boys are eating 4-5 oz every 3 hrs on the dot. 6 weeks has.seemed like years!! Lol but mine are hard y get back to sleep also z I am curious on advice you get

5. rayceryin12

Still the same really. We are just trying to roll with it right now.

6. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

We had always rocked them to sleep and then we'd put them down and it would startle them awake so now we get them sleepy by rocking them and then put them down with their pacifier and that has seemed to work really well. Also I have a sound machine and set it on ocean and play it all night long.

They are eating 6oz now and the last few nights they've gone 6-7 hours between their 9 pm feeding and the next.

Ashley I understand being a zombie. Marshall and I split the feedings sort of and he does the 9pm feeding (sometimes its a little later) and I go to sleep, then I do the 3 am and 7 am feeding.

One of tge other members had given me some advice too, she and her husband split the feedings and her husband would stay with the kids until 1am and then she'd take over, that way both were getting 5 hes of sleep a night.

All I can say is, it does get better! :hug:

7. rayceryin12

Ours are just getting to 5 oz constantly, so we have a little yet. They'll get it!