Sleep help

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rayceryin12, Apr 19, 2013.

1. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Ok why have my boys been waking up at 3:30-4:00 and just won't go back to sleep? They don't seem to want to play or eat. They just lay there with their eyes open and stare. I don't get it. I know they're teething, is that it? Help! I can handle the lack of sleep but it makes them miserable!

2. Yoyomilli

Yoyomilli Active Member

My babies do this when they are teething. Awake multiple times through the night and rarely fussy. I am puzzled for a while then BAM a tooth. You think I would see the pattern now, but the sleep deprivation clouds things. :)

3. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I posted a response to 'night feedings' that i think applies to your LOs also.

I am a firm believer that most night wakings have to do with being sleep deficient, unless their cry says pain.

Do you know their response to being behind in sleep?
    In my experience, it is different for every kid but always, some part of their sleep becomes disturbed when they have a sleep deficient.
    - my DD wakes up earlier and earlier in the morning until I can get her some good day time sleep
    - my DS shortens his naps when he is behind on sleep. He won't take a good nap until he catches up on sleep with a good nights sleep.
    - my niece fights going down for naps and for the night... SIL has to put her down super early so she has extra play/fuss time in her crib and still falls asleep at an early hour.

Frustrating because it is like they work against themselves so they don't catch up.

For your LOs, I do not think it is because they are not tired (oops, that's a double negative) because at that age they should be sleeping 12 hours at night so unless they are going to bed at 4 pm they are not getting a full nights sleep.

In your situation, i would do what a could to get them some extra sleep... Move bed time earlier for a while and pay close attention to tired signals for naps. (that is tricky.. you still want to aim for the regular times but compromise a little to account for early wake up and for their cues.)

Maybe others have ideas about what you have going on.. but that is my best guess.
    Good luck. Whatever is going on it sounds like you are 'on top of it' early so that is good.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

It could definitely be teething. My kids always had tons of wake ups when they were getting a tooth. A dose of Tylenol at bedtime was often very helpful.

5. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! They did have crappy naps yesterday. Today was better so hopefully tonight will be too!