Sleep - how old are your LO's and how much are they getting?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carrie-, Oct 29, 2010.

1. carrie-

carrie- Well-Known Member

Quick one, really. Wondering what your little ones sleeping habits are?

My girls are 8.5 months and still need a 30 minute catnap in the evening. Not sure if we are putting them to bed too late? (Is 7pm late???). We would have to feed them & put them down by 6pm if it weren't for that extra snooze.

I know all babies are different - just wondering what the ranges are for different months. Thanks!

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Our boys sleep 11 hours at night (7:15pm to 6:15am - although some days they do wake up as early as 5am for some unknown reason - UGH!). During the day, they sometimes only take two 30 minute naps, but other days they will take two 1.5 hour naps. On an average day, they sleep 12-13 hours total. From what I have heard others saying, they do not sleep nearly as much as other babies, but they are generally happy during the day, so it seems they just don't need as much sleep.

7pm is not a late bedtime for us - anything before 7:15 and they are up super early. They didn't drop their third nap until around 8.5 months - before that they were going to bed at 7:45.

3. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

Mine dropped their catnap around 9 months. My girls go to bed at 6-6:30-depending on crankiness. Sleep till 6am. Nap at 9am for 1 hour. Nap at 1pm for 2 hours. So about 15 hours total sleep.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Ugh - where is the jealous icon on here??? I wish my LO's would sleep even close to that much!! :lol:

5. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

Meeeeeeeee toooooooooooo!!!!!

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

LOL!!! Me too :) Mine get 13 total at most.

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My guys are almost 11 months. Nathaniel goes down at night at 6:45 sleep till 7-7:15. William goes down at 7:15 and sleeps till 7-7:15. They do not nap anymore in the mornings, havent since about 8.5 months of age, but nap from noon-3-3:30 in the afternoon.

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If they need the cat nap let them have it but you could try to cut it out and do bedtime earlier and see what happens...if they wake earlier in the morning then go back to old schedule:) I think around that age is when mine dropped the catnap in the evening too and slowly pushed their bedtime back a little too, they were sleeping 6p-7a for the longest time with 2 great naps...they are great sleepers though! Now...if we could get Hannah on the same track that would be awesome <_<

9. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

LOL!! I guess I am pretty lucky but I deserve it because my 4.5 year old is the worst sleeper in the world and I spent yrs dealing with that.

10. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

Whoa, I'm so jealous. Mine don't even sleep 12 hours a day in total. They've never been great nappers and still wake up a lot during the night. We're working on it though.

11. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Mine sleep around 10-11 hours at night (well, not lately but we are working on that). Their naps run from 45 min to nearly 2 hours depending on the day. I would love for them to nap at least 90 minutes twice a day, but they just started two naps so they'll probably get there. They used to only take 30 min naps and I would rejoice when we hit 45!

12. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

At that age my kids went to bed usually around 6 to 6:30 p.m. so you might want to drop the cat nap and up the bedtime and see what happens? Mine went from 3 to 2 naps sort of easily, but their bed time did seem super early! It's only now around 11 months that bedtime is around 7 p.m.

In general my daughter will sleep about 11-12 hours a night and my son will sleep 12-14 if we let him or if his sister doesn't wake him up! My daughter naps for about an hour to 1.5 hours for each daytime nap (they take 2, one a.m. and one p.m.) and again my son the super sleeper will sleep more like 2 hours for each nap if we let him or if she doesn't wake him up. I'd say she gets between 13-15 hours per 24 hour period and he gets more like 16-18. This weekend in fact my son slept from 7:30 p.m. til 10:30 the next morning! It was the weekend so we just let him sleep as long as he wanted. Now if only I'd been able to sleep in too :p

13. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

Mine are almost 8 months old.

Our day looks like this:

6:30-7:00 - wake up

Naps at 9 and 1 (1-1.5 hour each)

Bed at 6:30

They are basically on a 2-3-4 schedule. 1st nap is 2 hours after wake up, 2nd nap is 3 hours after wake up, and bedtime is 4 hours after that wakeup.