Sleeping in cribs- HELP!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twins0507, Jun 21, 2007.

1. twins0507

twins0507 Active Member

I've been lurking on this site for many months now- this is the first time I am posting. Here is a little background:

I gave birth in April (35 weeks) to twin boys (4.10 and 5.5)- they are now 11 weeks old- both spent no time in the NICU. They both have been diagnosed with reflux and are on Zantac. The Zantac has helped with both the spitting and their moods. However, in the process of being diagnosed they have become used to sleeping in their car seats as for a long time it was the only way they were comfortable sleeping. Now we have purchased wedges and elevated their cribs and are trying to get them moved back into their cribs. My question is how do you successfully get them to sleep in their cribs? When we put them in there they scream until we get them back out- put them in their car seats and they fall right asleep. We want to break them of this before it gets too out of hand... What advice do you have?

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

2. ****mws****

****mws**** Banned

mine didnt have reflux but for the first 4 months they slept swaddled in the top part of a porta crib..

that being said.. i put a travel size pillow between them swaddled them and layed them down..

if your nursing add a night shirt with milk on it so they can smell you..

plus if they are only 11 wks old.. let em sleep in the car seat for a while.. this is not a bad thing:)

3. txsweetie

txsweetie Well-Known Member

Hey, my philosophy for those first few months were "whatever works!" If they sleep in the car seats then let them sleep. I was so exhausted the first 4 months that I really wasn't strict about things like that. My kids slept in their swings the first few months due to the reflux. Once they were about 4 or 5 months old I started to wean them out of their swings by letting them fall alseep in there and then moving them very quietly to their cribs. Don't worry! At least they are sleeping right?!

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I am also a "whatever works" mom as far as infant sleeping goes. As long as it is a safe place, let them sleep there. The crib really didn't get much use until closer to 5-6 months. They slept in the swing, bouncer, carseats, on me, on the floor, PNP, pretty much anywhere but the crib. Mine also did better sleeping slightly elevated, and I think they liked confines of the carseat or swing. They will outgrow it and eventually take to sleeping in the crib.

5. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ Jun 21 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]301879[/snapback]
    I am also a "whatever works" mom as far as infant sleeping goes. As long as it is a safe place, let them sleep there. The crib really didn't get much use until closer to 5-6 months. They slept in the swing, bouncer, carseats, on me, on the floor, PNP, pretty much anywhere but the crib. Mine also did better sleeping slightly elevated, and I think they liked confines of the carseat or swing. They will outgrow it and eventually take to sleeping in the crib.

Same here. My guys slept in their car seats til almost 4 months! And we just bit the bullet and dealt with them until they started liking their cribs. Swaddling helped a lot in the beginning and we also wedged their mattresses to keep them slightly elevated.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

6. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, it is great that they are sleeping. And they are still little so I wouldn't stress about it just yet.

7. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I don't have any great advise on your topic, but Welcome! to TS!

8. Lisala

Lisala Well-Known Member

Count me as another "whatever works" vote. It is very common for reflux babies to sleep in carseats or swings, in fact my ped. said it's more common that not. Our son had only a slight problem transitioning to his crib when the time came (about 3.5 months), but swaddling really helped him to adapt.

9. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS! I don't have anything to add, but it's nice to meet you!

10. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

I vote for whatever works as well. I think the girls slept in their swings for at least the first 2-3 months. They're now 10 months old and have been sleeping exclusively in their cribs for a while (no transition trauma either). I also give a vote to swings that go side to side. That seemed to help with their tummy troubles rather than the front to back motion.

11. twins0507

twins0507 Active Member

I just want to say thank you for calming my fears! As a first time mom, I'm trying to figure things out as we go. We'll leave them in their carseats for now!

Thanks again!

Jamie

12. LoriAnne

LoriAnne Member

I am also a whatever works Mommy- at least for the first 4 months. They slept in the swing and on me and Grammy who stayed with us for 3 months. Emma went into the crib for night sleeping at 3 months and Caitlin slept in the bassinet until
    just 2 weeks ago. They are both in the cribs now and sleeping 11-12 hours a night so don't worry about screwing up their sleep when they are this little. Babies usually adapt (it just takes a few sleepless nights first!!)