Sleeping issues starting again? 12 months

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LMW1015, Dec 2, 2009.

1. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

So my twins were horrible sleepers until we did CIO at 9 months. Ever since that they've been pretty darn good. There is some Paci replacing but overall it's not often and they go right back to sleep with no issues. Then the teething started (they didn't get their first teeth until 11 months). There have been more wake ups but overall not horrible. Just mostly Paci replace, give them teething tablets, lay them down again with their blankies and they go right back to sleep. They just turned a year last week by the way. My DS was up from 11:30 to 1am last night!! Nothing would help. I'd given both of them Motrin at 7:30pm before bed and teething tablets so it wasn't time for more Motrin again. I gave him some more teething tablets. Tried replacing the Paci (which he spit out), made sure he wasn't poopy, even tried picking him up and comforting him (thinking that might help? I usually try to leave them in their beds). NOTHING helped. Oh and he wasn't hungry because he barely made it through 4 oz of milk this morning. Amazingly DD slept through all this (she was the only one in the house who did!). I finally brought him into my room to try and calm him down because he was just screaming but he just kept pushing me away and crying more. I finally said forget it - if you're going to cry anyway then you're going to bed. So I let him CIO for 15-20 minutes at a time and would go in and try the Paci again. FINALLY at 1am he took it and went to sleep till 6:30am. Of course last night I had stayed up late writing my husband (he's in Basic for the Army) so I hadn't gone to sleep till RIGHT before he woke up. Needless to say I'm trying to survive on very little sleep today. He's getting teeth left and right (he's now got the two on bottom and two on top) so I keep thinking maybe it's the teething but this is ridiculous! To cry and go on for an hour and a half! No fever. His sleeping at night is getting worse and he's overall getting downright crabby and starting to throw tantrums during the day (banging his head on the floor today). Is this getting to be habit? Do I need to do CIO again? Just leave him a few Paci's in his crib and not go in anymore? I don't know what to do but this can't keep going on like this! Has anyone else gone through this? We live with my in-laws right now until we move in February and I told my MIL (who had like no sleep because she couldn't go back to sleep after all his crying) that I may have to do CIO again and she was like but he's so much LOUDER now. I could tell she was not happy to hear that but what can I do to make this stuff stop? My husband and I were going to get a hotel room when he comes home for Christmas but I am thinking that is not an option because she's not going to want to put up with him. I'm tired and frustrated. Any advice?

2. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

No advice, i have horrible sleepers. I hope it gets better for you real soon.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Teething blows :hug: Would putting a little nighttime Orajel on his gums help with the pain? Orajel did not really help with my kids but maybe it might for your DS. I would try CIO again and does he have any other loveys that he can take to bed with him (a book, a stuffed animal, blankey)...maybe that might help too.
    Hoping for better sleep for all of you :hug:

4. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

Just a question: Did your LO's just get their 12 month shots? (Nevermind if you don't vaccinate or if that's not the case). My LO's got their shots shortly after their 12 month birthday and we went through h*ll the few days after that with one; kind of what you're describing. One of my DS' was overly irritable and fussy and a horrible sleeper during those days. He woke up numerous times and I think the first night after the shots he was up from 10:30pm to 3 am. I couldn't not get him back to sleep no matter what I did. Finally I think he was just exhausted and went to sleep. We just had to "deal" with it until it was over and it did last a few days.

If that's not the case, I would try the nighttime orajel like pp's said. Does he get a sip cup at night? Maybe put one in his crib ... maybe he needs something to chew on and I second the lovey's or blankies and trying the CIO again. Good luck and hope you get some sleep soon!

5. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. :) Well they actually are going to their 1 yr appointment on Friday and will get their shots then. I'm not looking forward to more sleeplessness. :( They normally do well with shots so I'm crossing my fingers. I'll have to get some of the nighttime Orajel. Is it different than the regular stuff? They both sleep with a lovey, a "doll" (DS's has little teether things as hands and feet...wish he'd chew on those!), a soft cuddly blankey, and a small burp cloth like thing with their Paci's attached (we call that the emergency Paci LOL). SO they have PLENTY of stuff in their bed. LOL I thought about putting a sippie cup with water in there for them but didn't want to get them started on a bad habit. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm praying for sleep! DD was sleeping horrible for naps today so I'm really hoping they BOTH sleep tonight otherwise they're going to have a crabby momma tomorrow! ;)

6. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I know with my guys I've done CIO on more than one occasion. It's like any little thing sets in motion the night waking problem. So while it may be teething, a cold, or a nightmare that starts the initial wakings, it continues even after the problem is over.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do CIO and ditch the pacifier. I feel for you, mine had all most all of their teeth at that point, and they had gone through most of the major physical development milestones, so I felt like I could rule out those things as problems. And of course we still had/have some night waking problems.

7. waitingpaitently20

waitingpaitently20 Well-Known Member

From everything I read teething isn't suppose to be the cause of nightime wakening. I think he may either have an ear infection or might be developmental ie walking. Mine walk up screaming for a week right, then he crawled and that night he slept. Many people swear that milestones cause them to wake up. I think if he normally sleeps through the night and is all of a sudden waking up and crying then I would say it is because something is wrong and I wouldn't do CIO until you rule everything out. Have you introduced any new food? Gas/ear infection etc. Good luck and hopefully it will pass!

8. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Ditto. This is how my girls are when they have an ear infection. We keep A/B otic drops on hand. Warm baby oil drops can also work in a pinch.

Good luck Lisa!