Sleeping schedule at 6 weeks and 3 days

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mandywellman, May 17, 2010.

1. mandywellman

mandywellman Well-Known Member

When did you start your schedule, like real schedule, my girls are on somewhat of a schedule now or try to but not raelly since they are so young. We eat every 3 hours during the day. At night I let them wake me up but do not let them go longer than 4.5 hours, what is the longest did you let yours go at that age?

Any advice on what to do....I try and put them down after there 10, or 11 feeding what ever they are having that night. But I knwo this is late, so the last couple nights i have been trying to put them down after there 7 or 8 feeding wahtever we have that night, but it seems they are on a schdule of being wideee awake after their 7 or 8 feeding and I dont just put them down and sleep train bc, they are not up that much so when they are i want to keep them up so they sleep good at night.

RIght now they fall will go to sleep after their 10 or 11 feeding and wait about 4- 4.5 hours and then eat then go back to sleep and then wake up at 3 hours and then go back to sleep and then get up whevner the next morning. They are really doing good as far as sleeping goes now. But I would really like to try and get them in bed around 9. Any suggestions!?!

Also I want to try and maybe put them in thier cribs but dont know if its too early, they sleep in bouncy seats next to bed right now. When did you put yours in their cribs. And in one crib or two?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our two were in a crib from the first night home. My son needed to start his night off in a bouncy seat though, so I would strap him in and let him bounce until he or DD woke up for the first night feeding & then I could transfer him to the crib.
    I would do their "bedtime" routine at 7pm even though they did not go to sleep after that feed...but it was a time we would eventually want them to go to sleep at night. After some time, they did start but we had to be patient with it and it took some time. At 6 weeks, mine were eating on demand overnight and the longest they would go at that age was between 3-4 hours.
    PS: I started the "bedtime" routine at 4 weeks.

3. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

It's way too early for much of a schedule! We really didn't have a schedule until about 3 months. I agree with the pp that you can start the routine now when you want bedtime to be (we started at 9 and then moved it gradually earlier). Babies start to associate that routine with sleep as the months go on. I would start educating yourself on sleep training now, but your babies won't be ready for it until they are about 4 months at the earliest. The biggest thing I would advise is to keep the lights low and voices low after the "bedtime" even if they are wide awake.

Ours slept in their bassinet in our room until they were about 8 weeks, then they were too big to fit in it any more. At that point they went to their crib. They were in the same crib until about 5 months, then went to two. We never fell into the bouncy seat trap, thank goodness!

4. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

I fed every 3hrs until they laid out routine at 3-4months. Would def. Start cribs now given all horror stories I've read on here about transitioning to crib later. We always kept them in bassinett swaddled together next to each other and transitioned to crib about 6 weeks, where they continued to share amd be swaddled close to each other until they started to bust out of swaddles and move a lot around 5 mnths. Just keep feeding every 3 hrs. I would def put them down for night by 7 or 8-keeping them up to 10 probably will backfire. Never worked for us as they were so overtired and cranky it was hell. We just did bath bottle bed in crib by 8. Good luck! You'll get through it-i can't believe I'm actually writing this when I was posting the same sleep help plea just 7 months ago. Those days are hard to remember now!

5. Kaffeetee

Kaffeetee Well-Known Member

My girls are about the same age as yours! 6 wks tomorrow. Sounds like we are doing much the same thing. Feeding every 3 hours during the day. Normally they'd wake themselves up, most of the time together or within 15 minutes of one another. Whatever time we end up at night that we think is late enough (9, 10, even 11), we swaddle them up and let them sleep in thier crib. I sleep in the same room with them and would let them sleep as long as possible. So far the pattern has been one shorter sleep (3 hrs) follows by a long one (the longest was 5.5 hrs. Well, happened just couple of times so far). Or the other way round, one long one follows by a shorter one. I don't think I'll worry about schedule for another 2 months or so. PP has a good point about the bedtime routine with a bath. But it is so hard to give them bath at that hours with dinner and homework for the older ones going on.

6. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I would recommend a start time so that you are feeding at the same times every day. If you want bedtime to be 9 pm, wake up time would be 9 am then feed at 9, noon, 3, 6 and 9 letting them go as long as they will overnight. Then, no matter what time they ate during the night, get them up and feed them at 9 am the next morning. You could do this with any time. For us it was 7. I got them up and fed at 7, then 10, 1, 4, and 7. Just before the 7 pm feeding we lowered the lights and changed them into pjs. We let them sleep in the pnp or bouncy seats while we watched tv but we tried to keep it low key and quiet. We fed them again at 10 and put them in the crib. By 8 weeks all of them were sleeping a good stretch of 5ish hours at night and by 12 weeks all were sleeping 11 to 12 hrs.

7. rkokinda

rkokinda Well-Known Member

Ours were also on a 3-hour schedule at that time. They also were sleeping in their bouncies all of the time too (one had reflux so we couldn't lay her down after eating). They're typical feeding times were 10pm, 1am, 4am, 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm, plus or minus, but we really let them more or less decide on what the schedule was. And we kept them both on the same schedule so when one ate the other ate, and they slept in between.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We didn't have much of a schedule at that age, I was mostly still in survival mode. They were eating every 3 hours but I was no longer waking them in the night (although they were still getting up to eat a couple of times). I didn't really start the bedtime routine until around 3 months, mostly they were still just sleeping whenever & wherever at 6 weeks. But, it's certainly not to early to start organizing a bit of a routine if you want!

9. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

I have the same question as you and am also struggling to start introducing a routine. Our girls are 5 weeks 3 days. We generally start the girls’ bedtime at 7 (lights and voices low), but some nights it is 8:30 or 9 before we get the girls settled into their crib. We breastfeed on demand, and that leaves us subject to the whims of the girls’ stomachs. In the early evening, the girls’ feedings are closer together – sometimes one hour after the last feeding. The late evening, however, the girls fall into a deeper sleep. Baby B slept 5 ½ hours once! It freaked me out and I asked my pediatrician if I needed to be waking her to eat, but the pediatrician said that, as long as she is growing well in general, let Baby B’s stomach tell us when she’s hungry, not the clock.

I am curious what your bedtime routine is. Besides lowering the lights and our voices, we haven’t really implemented more of a routine. Our girls always seem to eat at a different time, so baths don’t really seem feasible. I worry that I should be doing more to signal a transition, but then think because they’re still so young it doesn’t matter yet.

10. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

With older DS he would usually follow the same routine as PPs have mentioned. A shorter sleep (usually about 3 to 3.5 hrs) followed by a little bit of a longer sleep (usually about 5 hrs). I usually woke him up to eat if he went longer than about 5.5 hrs. It just made me uneasy for some reason.

11. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

We are at the same stage: 6 weeks 1 day.

I am breastfeeding and struggle to get my 2 to sleep at the same time for longer than 10 mins.
    They might have 2 good sleeps in 24hrs (3hrs), and 'nap' the rest of the time. (anywhere from 10mins - 1hr). They also quite often 'cluster feed' for 2hrs.
    Twin B is much harder to settle to sleep than the other.

I am not really worried about getting them into a routine yet, wish they would sleep for longer periods of time and at the same time.
    Am jealous of pp that have babies that sleep for 3,4,5 hrs! Where do I get 1 of those?