Sleeping seven hour stretches and breasts too full!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Debbiemichelle, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

My twins just started sleeping for seven hour stretches (two nights in a row, I'm not going to get too excited yet). Both nights, I've been super uncomfortable by the end of this stretch and had to pump to release some milk. Will my supply adjust over time? Should I pump, or try to somehow deal with it some other way? Any thoughts on this/similar experiences?

2. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

When my babies started sleeping through, I would pump to take away the pain from being so full, and that's it. Your body will eventually adjust.

Congrats on a 7 hour stretch. Even if this doesn't happen every single night, enjoy it on the nights it does happen! Getting several hours of uninterrupted sleep makes such a huge difference!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The fastest way for your supply to adjust is to not do anything at all. Knowing how uncomfortable that can be, pumping just enough to relieve the pressure is the next quickest option. If you empty your breasts though you will continue to make the same volume of milk. Enjoy your sleep (however long it lasts ;) )!

2 people like this.
  4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You'll adjust but it'll take longer if you pump. Don't pump and you should drop off supply in a couple of days.

5. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add, when I didn't pump to relieve being so engorged, that's when I'd end up with mastitis or blocked ducts. It seems to not happen to everyone, but it did to me. Every time.

6. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

Thank you for the advice!