Sleeping through night streak broken - fooey!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nicolepag, Mar 19, 2007.

1. nicolepag

nicolepag Well-Known Member

My kids were doing SO well... 6 days - we would put them down around 7/7:15 and they would sleep until 5:30/6. All of a sudden (and truly cannot find what we are doing different) they are waking up sometime between 11pm-1am and 4am. Ahh! The ONLY thing that will quite them is to nurse. I have tried to soothe and it doesn't work. I am so tired... they seem like they have been teething for months (still no teeth)... they are fed a lot throughout day...growth spurt maybe? Is this common ... good pattern, bad pattern?

2. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

Could they be sick? My girls started doing that and it turned out they both had sinus infections, one had an ear infection and the other had an eye infection. I thought at first it was teething, but it wasn't. They are back to sleeping through the night now that they are on meds and getting better.

3. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Anything changed with naps, activity level? They could be more tired and putting them down 20-30 minutes earlier can make a major difference. My kids actually sleep better.

4. nicolepag

nope, nothing has changed... [​IMG]

5. nicolepag

Oh, and I can't put them down earlier otherwise my husband would never see his children.

6. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I found that sleep was a "two steps forward, one step back" thing (I know it's usually one forward, two back - but for this...)

Just keep with your consistency, maybe give a dream feed around 9 or 10 p.m. and see if that helps at all! [​IMG]

7. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

[​IMG] to you!!!
    Don't tell me this!!! My babies have slept through for 4 nights in a row!! Don't tell me it doesn't last.
    I wish you good sleep tonight. Let us know if you find out what is going on.

jen

8. nicolepag

As for for illness... they seem to be a-okay - no indications of such. [​IMG]

9. jena4

jena4 Well-Known Member

Holy Smokes...I could have wrote your post when my girls hit 8 months. The same exact thing happened to us. Sleeping like champs then all of a sudden one of them was waking up 2-3 times a night. The first couple nights were miserable. I would try to not take her out of her crib. Then I was becoming so exhausted, I started taking her out, sitting in the glider with her for a few minutes..really no more than 5, then putting her back in bed. I was doing this a couple times a night. It slowly started only happening twice a night then it maybe once a night. They just hit 9 months old and neither of them has woken up for about a week. My gut tells me it may have been a speration anxiety thing and she woudl freak out when she woke up at night and could not see DH or I??? Thats jsut my thought. At around the same time she would cry when we would leave the room. Now the other little one hasn't had any of these sleep issues...knock on wood.
    Hang in there, I truly believe they will hit sleep phases for the next year or so. I hope they are an easy fix like this one was. It just sucks being one big tired moma!!! I just try to visualize all the mommies out there at 2 AM with me [​IMG]
    Good Luck!!
    jena

10. nicolepag

Last night they slept from 7:30 till 5. I don't get it. Craziness [​IMG]

11. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

Hi. I am new to the twin forum. I am a mom of 7 1/2 month fraternal twins Jacob and Noah. They had been sleeping through the night but, now since colds, booster shots and cutting bottom teeth I am up 6-8 times a night between the two.

My questions is this.....I have tried to CIO method until I can not stand it anymore....but, should I not have the twins in the same room if I am going to keep trying this method? They do not share beds and when one begins I take him out to a crib in our family room.

I would like them to both sleep in their beds in their room. Bedtime routine is dinner around 6:30, play time, bath around 7:15-7:45, bedtime bottle and sleep around 8:00.

I am a first time mom after years of trying and I love my boys but, I am at my wits end with exhaustion.

Any help or comments on what I should try to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

12. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

noahandjacobsmom

When we did CIO, we kept them in the same room (they have separate cribs). The first couple days were really difficult. One one cried the other often cried and it seemed like it would never wend. Within just a couple of days, they were sleeping through each others cry. We are amazed at how they do that but somehow they have learned to block it out. I think the big thing is to be consistent.

13. noahandjacobsmom

Thank you for responding... it looks like our little ones are very close in age....they were born July 31, 2006 at 38 weeks and one day. I know they can sleep through the night because they have done it before....it is just frustrating for me now.

So, I will begin to be deligent with the CIO method and just leave them in their room and stop moving one here or there.

Just curious, how long did you let them cry until you would go and soothe them?

14. seamusnicholas

Wow! They are clsoe in age and we both went 38 weeks!

We did not go in and sooth them ever! I heard that doing that does not help because then they expect you to come in and cry until they see you. The first night they cried for over an hour and as the hour went on their cry lessened. The nights that followed were always less and less time.

The reason we did CIO was because at 5 months they were eating 4 8 oz bottles and having 2 solids a day. Their last bottle was at 7:00pm. After that they were each waking 2 times in the middle of the night wanting to eat. I know they were eating out of habit. (I know some people need to do CIO because their babies like to be soothed in other ways then eating but mine always went to sleep again after eating). The reason I know it was out of habit was because when they stopped the night feedings with CIO, they would wake at 6:00/6:30am happy as can be and not crying for a bottle. If I was starving them at night, they would be waking crying and so hungry. But they were able to wait until 7:00am for that first bottle.

We kind of did CIO in two steps. For the first week or so, we gave them one more bottle after their 7:00 bottle and then if they cried after that we would not go in their room. The following week, we decided to not give them even that one late night bottle and did CIO full force.

As hard as it was to do, I was so mentally/physically tired that the second night, I was able to sleep through their cry. Just knowing I did not have an option to get them really helped. Another good feeling was seeing them with huge smiles in the morning. Helped me know I was not hurting them in any way at night!

15. noahandjacobsmom

Okay, I will give it a whirl. The question is at what time did you give them one more bottle after the 7:00 p.m. one? Also, did you wake them to give them that bottle?

I know this is going to be more painful for me than them. I just do not want them upset and crying...but, if it makes things easier for the family as a whole then....we must do what we must.

Thanks for the help and support.

16. seamusnicholas

I just PM you. Go to the top of the page and you will see a button to click that says PM (private message)

17. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I think its pretty common. My first didn't really get a good sleeping pattern until 15 months. He still gets up some nights and comes in my room to talk to me. [​IMG]

[​IMG] I know where you are though. My guys are doing the same thing!