Sleeping throught the night..

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TwinMumm, Jan 18, 2011.

1. TwinMumm

TwinMumm New Member

Hi, I have 3 1/2 month old di/di girls, and latley they have been sleeping through the night, sometimes for 8 or 9 hours straight.. (not complaining! lol) but im getting a little worried because of the long stretches, I heard its normal for 5 or 6 hours straight, but 8 or 9 hours is too long and I was told I should be waking them to feed them because they are still so small.. (born 5 weeks premmie) Should I be worried? I have also noticed they dont eat as much during the day as they use to, but just before bed, they eat so much, is that normal?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would guess that as long as they're growing and having wet diapers, they are getting enough and just starting to fall into a pattern of sleeping through the night! Congratulations! So unless you have concerns about their growth I would just let them sleep and maybe try to increase the amount they get at each feeding during the day.

Just for reference, if your girls are 3.5 months, 5 weeks early, they're just over 2 months adjusted. This is exactly when mine started to lengthen the time they were sleeping at night.

3. TwinMumm

TwinMumm New Member

Thank you!

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Totally normal, they need to store food for 8-9 hours straight without eating :). If you are worried about their weight gain, dream feed them before you go to bed or 4 hours after the last feeding.I would do that because they're premmies and small. But its just me. Good luck!

Oh ask your pedi how many oz do they need a day? If they eat enough, I'd not worry about it. If not, dream feed

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sounds to me like they are doing great! Are they gaining weight? Wetting diapers? Pooping fine? Some kids just sttn earlier than others. I have a friend who had a daughter 3 weeks early. She finally hit her birth weight at one month! She was sleeping in long stretches as well(she was born at 6 lbs, but dropped to 5 lbs 4 oz I believe when they were discharged). And even know she wakes only once in a twelve hour period.

If they are growing well I wouldn't worry about it. My pedi always said that all kids are different!

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

ditto on the others... as long as they are growing and you've got lots of great diaper outputs then enjoy the sleep! ours were sleeping about 8 hrs a night by 8 wks... swaddling and 2.5hr day time feeds were what I attributed it to! loved it!

7. TwinMumm

TwinMumm New Member

thanks everyone for your responses!! :)

8. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry...let them sleep as long as they will! Mine have been sleeping 12 - 13 hours straight for a couple months. And they are 5 months 3 adjusted.

9. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

Mine slept through the night at that age too. We asked our pedi and she said as long as they are eating well and gaining weight it wasn't necessary for us to wake them for feedings anymore. Our boys were also preemies and were small for their age, but it wasn't a concern for her, and we were thrilled to have more sleep too!

10. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry...let them sleep as long as they will! Mine have been sleeping 12 - 13 hours straight for a couple months. And they are 5 months 3 adjusted. I do make sure they get enough formula during the day 25-30 oz