sleeping too much?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by pdellinger, Jun 7, 2010.

1. pdellinger

pdellinger Active Member

My twins still sleep a lot. They go down at night at about 8:30 - 9:00pm and sleep until 7:30 - 8:00 am. They also take a 2 hour nap during the day and sometimes sleep for 3 hours. I know it seems like a happy problem b/c if they sleep then so do I but I feel like they shouldn't still be sleeping this much. They are almost 16 mos. old. Did your kids still sleep a lot at this age?

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a lot at all. Mine still take 2 two hour naps a day.

3. twinfinite

twinfinite Well-Known Member

Well, I agree with you. It is a happy "problem"! *wink* (But I don't think it's a "problem" at all, really. If you are very concerned, maybe call the pediatrician's office and ask the on-call nurse about it.)

Some kids just sleep more than others! Consider yourself exceptionally lucky, and don't worry too much about it!

4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My boys NEED their sleep. At 29 months, they go to bed at 7:30 and wake between 7-7:30. Naps are usually 3 but sometimes 4 hours. So that means they are getting 15-16 hours of sleep a day. The chart in their pedi's office said the "average" 2 year old needs 14 hours per day. Mine just need a little more and I'm fine with it.

The only problem is on days when they miss their nap, by 3:00-4:00 they are out of control and I usually break down and put them to bed 1/2 early. :crazy:

5. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good amount of sleep. Even the longer end of what you said only adds up to 14 1/2 hours. The "average" toddler needs between 11 and 14 hours of sleep a day, so at their most sleepy they're only just past that. I don't think you have anything to worry about, just enjoy it! :lazy:

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It also sounds like a good amount of sleep to me. Mine are 29 months old and sleep an average of 11-12 hours a night and take a 2-3 hour nap each day (or I should say most days). At 15 months we were just transitioning to one nap, so when they were doing two naps, they were still getting 11-12 hours a night, an hour nap in the morning and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.