Sleeping with a lovey at 16 months?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Rollergiraffe, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have noticed Austin wants to hug his sleep sack at night rather than wear it.. and he will tote it around with him during the day if he gets the chance. Is it time for a lovey? I have these cute little fuzzy blankets that would be perfect.. we used them to cover their entire bodies when we first brought them home! Sniff. How did you let your kids choose a lovey?

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I think a lovey would be a great idea! Don't be surprised if he wants to keep his sleep-sack though. ;) I had a ragged piece of cloth diaper as my "night-night" for years despite my parents trying to interest me in something nicer. :lol:

When my guys turned 1 I went online and picked out 2 of the small silky blankets with animal heads for my guys. They're not super attached to them, but occasionally they will whine if they drop them from the crib. And Nate likes to use the head of his as a teether. :rolleyes:

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A lovey is a great idea! I let my two pick their own loveys...they selected blankets and still use them to this day. Prior to that, my DD used a water bottle and an old remote as her lovey.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Oh yes, loveys are great. One of my daughters fell in love with a plastic head/soft body doll and has slept with it every night since she was 18 months old (she's now 3.5). My other cycles through loveys. At first she had the typical small blanket with stuffed head lovey, but then moved to a raccoon Beanie Baby for over a year. Now she doesn't care as much, and takes different small stuffed animals to bed as her cuddle toy.

5. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

my girls both have lovies also. They have matching blankets and they know the difference between the two and will pitch a fit if they don't have the right one. And one of my girls has a lil blanket with a monkey head. They jsut kinda picked their own out of the stuff we had at home. I agree with the prior post.....don't be suprised if he keeps the sleep sack as his lovey. He seems pretty attached to it already, and I personally think that is pretty darn cute.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto the others. My oldest ds, we picked a green stuffed ty puppy dog when he gave up his sucky, that was his "special puppy", and he still has his green puppy to this day, although it sleeps at the end of his bed now. He's 8.5.

My oldest dd fell in love with a stuffed mickey my sis gave her for her first christmas, she still has him as well, although she cycles through different lovies sometimes too, she always at least has a mickey mouse (she's got about 10 different ones now).

The twins started out with the soft small blankies with the animals heads in the middle, but Rylee gravitated towards her stuffed minnie mouse and she carries it with her most of the time now. We don't let it leave the house unless she's adamant about it though, in case she looses it. Liam really doesn't care for a lovey too much, although he will snuggle his stuffed mickey on occassion.

7. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

My boys have loveys, a stuffed animal (w/o button eyes) and their blanket. They are attached mostly to their blankies and would carry them around all day if I let them! I think it's a great idea and you may find that you go through a few things before they become attached to something!

8. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Before I clicked on the thread I thought this was going to be asking if 16 months was too old for a lovey. LOL! I started giving my boys their "rats" in their cribs around 6 months old, and they just became attached to them. Then Eli went through a stage where he was a "rat" hoarder, and he was sleep with like 8 stuffed animals in his crib.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't already developed an attachment, well I guess one has--to the sleep sack. I think the only catch is that they won't necessarily pick what you like, especially at that age, so like Valerie said, and old cloth diaper could be their preference, but as long as it's harmless, I'd let it go.

9. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea! Just maybe get an extra for just-in-case. My two have their blankies that are the #1 lovey, plus they each have a stuffed animal that they love. DD lost her kitty in the store. It was hell until the replacement came!

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We started giving the girls loveys at 6 months. Sarah took to hers right away, but Amy didn't get attached until more the age yours are now. In the meantime, she also developed an attachment to terrycloth drool bibs (the kind that come in 10-packs at Target) and still loves them! I'm starting to wonder which one is going to go to college with her -- the ducky or the bibs. (Probably both.)

Anyway, my point was just that you can suggest a lovey, but kids have a way of choosing their own!

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I dug out the blankets I had in mind and Austin took to it right away. He was rubbing his face all over it and kept playing peekaboo, so I think he might take to it. He also has a stuffed monkey he likes, so that's another candidate. The sleep sacks they have right now are a bit small, so I was thinking if he gets really attached to it I could always sew it into a little lovey for him.

Miles... took the blankets and dropped them off the couch then dumped milk on them. :laughing: He's a cuddlebug, but he is not a lovey kind of guy. Although I have the BEST photo from our family session of him snuggling with tigger.

12. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

All three of our lo's love their hand blankets. They are a must at bed time, nap time and on car rides. I started putting them in the crib with them around 4 months and by 7 or 8 months they were very attached to them. We have back ups that we hide in case of emergencies or when the other hand blankets get funky and need a bath. Here's what we have Angel Dear - the $12 ones, not the $50 ones. They're so soft and sweet!

13. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Mine have pigs that are not allowed to leave their bedroom. I am scared they are going to get lost. We have separate loveys for daycare that stay in their cubby there. I think this is a great age to introduce them. I am glad your son took to the blanket.

14. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

We had Pooh and Tigger loveys (little blankets with stuffed heads) since they were babies. Mary has been "attached" to it for several months. Hannah is only just now starting to sleep with it. Before she'd throw everything out (lovey, blanket, stuffed Tigger) Although last night, I went in to check on them and they had switched loveys. Go figure!