Sleepwalking when ill

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by hellybelly, Dec 22, 2014.

1. hellybelly

hellybelly Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience of sleepwalking? My twins have a chest infection at the moment and my DS was sleepwalking last night, I think. That's what the dr said anyway. I panicked so much and phoned the emergency number as he seemed delirious after having a really high temperature! I have found him once before outside the bathroom and looking scared and crying but he wouldn't talk and after he used the bathroom he was completely normal. He was ill then too, but I never put it down to sleepwalking. Last night he was staring at he ceiling and wall and looked right through me. He started stroking my nails saying he wanted this done too and I freaked! I've never been so worried in my life. Then he kept asking me what was wrong with him! He had several more episodes during the night but he sat bolt upright in bed crying and when I tried to comfort him he stared through me like he didn't know I was there before asking me if I was scared. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Does he remember doing it?  It very could well be sleepwalking.  I hope he feels better soon.

Two years ago my daughter couldn't talk when she was up in the middle of the night but it was when she had her first ever seizure.  She didn't talk until the next morning.  No sleep walking experience here.  :hug:

3. hellybelly

hellybelly Well-Known Member

He doesn't remember it all.

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

One of my twins has episodes just like you are explaining.  Off the top of my head, I can only remember one instance when he was actually sleepwalking (he came to my bedroom, woke me up, and asked where his basket of flowers was)... all the other times he is usually crying in bed.  His eyes are open, but his expression is blank.  If he speaks, it doesn't make any sense.  If he is crying, he is inconsolable and acts like he doesn't even hear me.  I never try to wake him (which is so strange since his eyes are wide open) and just gently help him settle to bed.  The next morning, he has no memory of it.  He has done this since about age 3 and is 5 now.  I can't remember him having more than one a night.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Any crying is likely night terrors and they just need to be watched so they don't hurt themselves.  Interfering can be harmful to all.  But, it is normal.  Hopefully it will be grown out of.

6. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I used to sleepwalk when I was a kid.  As scary as it is to you, it's not usually harmful to them as long as they are safe.  It could definitely be brought on by sickness or even meds they are taking for being sick.  Hopefully things will go back to normal soon.