Small babies at 5 months...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by leaudemiel, Oct 31, 2010.

1. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

So my boys are almost 5 months old. They were born at 37 weeks, at 5 and 6 pounds. At 4 month check up, they were 9.8 and 10.6. We are supplementing with formula on days I work and just started cereal. I know my husband and I are small [people but its really hard to not freak out. The doc said she isnt worried, they are growing along the growth curve just not o the chart.

But then we have friends with a two month old bigger than our guys, and a newborn pretty close. People react funny when we say how old they are or when these tiny babies hold their heads straight and smile and laugh. Developmentally they are right on target so we get a lot pf comments.

Of course I take it all as Im not feeding them right or enough. When will they catch up? Anyone have a spurt this late?

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

What does your pedi say? Is he or she worried?

We have the opposite problem - our guys started off at 5lb, 4 oz. and 6 lbs and grew like crazy. At their 9 month check up, they were 23 lbs. 14 oz. and 21 lbs. 10 oz. So we get funny looks when we say they are only 10 months and people act like we are overfeeding them (no, we're not, they are just always hungry!!).

I think as long as your kids eat enough and your pedi isn't worried, I wouldn't worry about it. I wish our guys were smaller - Michael is taller and heavier than a friend of mine's 2 year old, and they are very heavy to carry around!

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

It is so great that your guys are following their own curve! My guys are still off the charts, but we have had plateaus and losses in there. They are inching their way closer in height and the heads are finally on the chart.
    It has been a long road which still continues for us. BUT, many preemies catch up by a year, some by two. Your guys were really full term so it should be quick for them. Just keep feeding them and loving on them. If you are concerned I would talk to your pedi.
    My guys have struggled with reflux ever since they were born, which made gaining difficult. We are still trying to figure out whats going on with mine. Mine were at about 15 lbs at a year. Your guys still have a lot of time to grow. Try to tune out the comments. I know it's hard! Go with your gut, don't be pressured by others around you. If you feel like everything is fine then it probably is! The mom really does know her children best!!!
    {{{{{{{HUGE HUGS}}}}}}}

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

if your babiers are happy and healthy, then its fine. i dont its tough not to worry. our doc said 'cant beat genertic drive. if you and your husb are small, they will be.' its easy to say not to worry. if i were you, id take them to nutritionist.

my twins were born 32ws, 4lbs2oz and 4lbs3oz. at 2 months check up, they were 9lbs some thing. now they are 16 and 18lb. im worried too because they havent gained much the past 2 months.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

It happens. I suggest to hold off on cereal for now though, it will fill them up and they can probably use the nutrients of breastmilk and formula more.

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my DD didn't make the growth chart until she was 3 (and she's still in the 10th percentile or less) however she consistently grows on her own curve and has never NOT grown or gained weight between appts - even now at 4.5 years old she's only 39 in tall and 34 lbs - people think she's 2.5 until she opens her mouth and speaks like a kindergartner!!

don't worry - as long as your pedi is not concerned and they're meeting milestones and happy and healthy then you're likely to just have petites...

my DD didn't hit 12 lbs till she was 6 mos old and at a year was about 17 lbs so I really wouldn't worry! She was born at 3.5 lbs at 36w

7. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Ditto here. We were 17.15 and 18.5 at 1 year appt. Doc says they will be happy as they keep staying on curve...hoping for 21 lbs 2-year-olds! I thought we would hit some major spurt and we just haven't. They are just tinies...healthy and developmentally on target and ahead in some ways. You will get used to it. When I had my 15.5 lb walker at 9.5 months I didn't go out much...to be honest, I got asked how old they were a gazillion times and people just stared. It isn't even like they looked malnourished. Just petite...which is funny because DH and I are not petite. My girls were 5 and 5.2 at birth at 38 weeks.

8. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I think it's normal to worry about your kids. I worry that mine are freakishly large and that people wonder what I feed them! We just have to tell ourselves over and over that if the pediatrician isn't worried and there are no other indicators of problems, then we shouldn't worry either.