Snacks

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Dean, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Dean

Dean Member

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question for you. My girls get 2 snacks each day. I typically give them some prunes in the morning (they aren't regular) with roughly 10 gold fish each. In the afternoon, they will split a yogurt and then have about 5 teddy grahams each. I want them to focus on their 3 meals each day so I don't want the snack to interfere with their meals. Do you think I'm giving them enough for their snacks. They typically get snacks midway between meals.

Thanks for the help

2. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me! As long as they aren't cranky before meals, I'd say it's enough.

3. londonj

londonj Member

4. londonj

londonj Member

My girls are the same age as yours! That sounds about the same as what mine eat for their snack. I usually add in a piece of cheese and some grapes with their goldfish and if they eat it all quickly I might give them a bit more since they are obviously hungry but if not their next meal is usually only 2 hours away.

5. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

My boys eat a similar amount for their snack but they only have one afternoon snack.

6. Dean

Dean Member

Thanks everyone. I thought about adding cheese but my girls aren't always as regular as they could be. I don't like them crying and struggling to poop. It makes for very unhappy babies.

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

We also give ours pretzels as snacks, it helps with their teething pain also - they are just getting their first molars. We don't give them any cookies but they love pretzels :).

8. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

We give goldfish, raisins, dried fruit, yogurt melts, puffs.

9. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Mine get breakfast bar, grapes, mango, fish crackers, raisens, yogurt melts for snack. But they have large portions though. Some days, my girl has a bowl graps all by herself. They still have 2 snacks and 3 meals/day. My kids eat lot of fruit, veggies and seafood, rice and noodles. They dont eat mich meat but hotdogs and saussage. So i guess they are hungry very often.

10. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Also, to address irregularity, consider other dried fruit for snacks. Our girls LOVE Calmyrna figs, but will settle for Mission. They also like dried cherries - all off which makes for some interesting outcomes. You may also want to find something other than goldfish, or try the whole grain ones. The salt may dehydrate them (not good for regularity) and there may not be enough fiber to keep things moving.

As for the issue of are they getting enough to eat, I think they will let you know if you are hungry. Our girls vary. One day, they want to graze all day. The next, they are happy eating three meals with true snacks. Some days, their snacks become their meals, and they completely reject their meals. Our pediatrician said as long as they are growing fine, don't worry. Some days toddlers survive on air, the next they would eat your arm off if you let them.

Good luck.

11. Angelfish

Angelfish Active Member

I love Larabars as they are all natural and have no sugar added. One nut bar packs 220 cal, all of which come from healthy nut fats. The girls usually share one either before their nap or in the afternoon.