So once you started PTing, how long till you were finished?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by E&Msmom, Jun 12, 2010.

1. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

My twins are 28 months and we officially began potty training on Tuesday after returning from a month long trip. We're using M&M's and a sticker chart for a reward.
    so far ALL the pees have been making it to the potty but no poops :( - even the 1 day a week we go to the babysitters they pee'd there too!!!
    How long did it take for potty training to be done once you started? Any tips for getting poop to go in the potty?

Ive been repeating " pee goes in the potty" for weeks, Im thinking I need to change it to " poop goes in the potty too" LOL

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in what other say for this too! We started a half attempt - just letting them pee in between diaper changes at 23+ months. The sticker chart worked great for that. We did about 5 - 6 wks of that and I finally realized that they needed to do the naked/underwear training at home... I started that about 10 days ago. My dd just one day started pooping in the little potty.. AWESOME! I didn't do anything special. In fact she doesn't give a flip about the stickers now, she just wants to pee & poop on it and then go back to playing. Yay!

My son who used to be better about peeing in the potty has done a complete reverse once we put them in underwear... ugh. I wonder if I should switch to those mini M&Ms for some more enticement. And for my ds he seems to hold in his poop until he gets in a diaper at nap or nighttime...

so, I'm not of any help, but will be interested in the responses.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Take this with a huge grain of salt because we didn't full-on tackle PTing until my girls were 3 (even though Meara day-trained last summer at 2+, but I got lazy in the fall). Once they decided they were ready, Meara took a week. She got a stomach virus so that got her quickly over the poop issue (she much preferred watery poop in the potty than in her pull up). For Ana she actually poop trained before completely pee training. For her it took 2 weeks for us not to have to remind her anymore to pee on the potty.

I don't know if this is typical or not, but really once they got it, they really GOT it. Oh and what helped more than anything else in getting them motivated (besides the DVD potty power- that was great too), was a 5 year old at the park who asked them "Are you babies? Why are you wearing diapers?!" Seriously I should pay that kid because the next day Meara was ready, and a week later so was Ana.

4. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

DD is potty trained. DS is not. I know DS will be a challenge! BUT...our PT experience with DD was a good one. She day trained (pee) in 3 days. Night trained by the end of the week. Poop trained took about 2 weeks. She has constipation issues and whenever I have to give her Miralax it sometimes results in accidents. ^_^

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

1 day. But i knew they were R E A D Y!

I never had a poop issue tho cuz mine were telling me about ten min before they had to poop for about 8 months before i PT them. I wasn't taking any chances on being not ready with my kids. I also had them peeing and pooping in the potty at their leisure for about 8-9 months before I officially bit the bullet. I could have PT my kids WAYYYY sooner but I was scared!!

As it stands, I waited til they were 32 months old and holy moley am I GLAD i did! It was the most blissful amazing UN challenging piece of cake thing E V E R. They each had ONE accident! It's been 3 weeks now. Ya. I can't believe it. When they're ready, you'll know it. That's just what I tell people.

6. lianyla

Oh and we never did rewards or anything. No pull ups, nothing like that. Just straight to undies.

7. E&Msmom

We only do underwear too. DS is doing awesome....DD is holding her pee for HOURS on end until she really cant hold it anymore then makes a mad dash to the bathroom. Once she finally goes she is SOOO proud of herself but the initial letting go is freaking her out! I never thought my son would be the easier of the 2!

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine started using the potty sporadically, only when they felt like it, around 20 months. Around 2.5, we started pushing it with bribes and lots of encouragement, but I left it strictly up to them to decide when they were ready for underwear. One decided she was ready at 2y9m, the other at 3y3m. Once they made the switch, they had perhaps an accident a day for a few days, then one every week or two for awhile, and then none.

So, altogether it took over a year, but we never really "trained" them -- just helped them learn how to do it and then left it up to them. At times I thought I'd be buying diapers forever, but on the whole, it was pretty low stress.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Abby trained in 3 days - pee, poop and night! She decided right before her 3rd birthday she wanted to wear panties and that was it - she had one or 2 poops in her panties before she decided she REALLY didn't like that and that was over...I can count her accidents on one hand in the last 13 months...

Ian wellllll....it took him about 4 days to pee train and 3 or so months of crapping his pants twice a day before he poop trained...the only thing that motivated him to poop train was threatening to take away his computer time (he's a PBSkids.org fanatic)...and it worked...he poop trained about 2 days later and has only had 1 poop accident since...he occasionally wets the bed at night but that's getting fewer and more far between now too...

10. lianyla

Great! Is it just me, or is potty training not as horrific as everyone made it out to sound? I was SERIOUSLY sooo scared! I don't think I've dreaded anything as much as I did PT and then BAM.. it was NOTHING. OMGosh!

LOL. Such is life. Anyway, I think it would have been rough had I not waited til they were ready (of course) but truly- it was probably one of the easiest things I've done w/ them! LOL.

Sounds like your kids are doing GREAT!!

11. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

We are starting to work on this as well. I bought some pull ups b/c they still go to daycare 2 days a week. We are just kinda letting them sit on the potty when they want to right now. Hannah isn't showing as much interest in it as Hailey. I think that this weekend we are going to break out the panties and really start to get serious. I'm tired of diapers... I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, I'll be watching this thread as well... I feel like a late comer to the party! My boys are going to be 32 months on Friday... and there is no PT'ing in sight! Part of it is laziness, the other part is having Annabella, and then there was traveling. But-traveling is done, Annabella is a year old. The only major problem still-is laziness. :laughing:

Anthony can go, has gone on the potty. It's a matter of when he wants to-but whenever he sits he ALWAYS goes. And he's done both. Nicholas on the other hand, avoids the toilet like the plague! I have underwear already, as well as pullups. I'm just baffled as to where to begin. Part of me thinks they just aren't plain ready yet. And the other part of me is thinking they are getting old... (I know they really aren't 'old' and there is no push due to schooling). And there's a very tiny part of me that is sick of changing diapers for three kids 4356782 times a day...

13. hezza12

hezza12 Well-Known Member

When the boys were about 32 months we trained one in three days (poop, pee.) He was trained for naps and night in under a week. The other trained for poop and pee in three days but we were putting pull-ups over his underpants for naps and night for at least two weeks. All in all, I feel we were super successful. We loosely followed the "3 day potty training" method, did one smartie as a reward for pee and two smarties and a sticker for poo, and rarely had to ask if they needed the potty... they would just go, which I loved. I think we hit some sort of perfect potty training window- any earlier or later and it might not have worked so quickly or easily. Like PP said, for us, it was surprisingly easier than expected!

14. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

If I'm totally honest with myself, that's part of our problem too! I'm off for the summer and need to get it together on so many different things!

15. E&Msmom

SO I started the thread and Im back to report we are officially potty trained, and it took less than 1 week! Both twins DONE!!!! Im stoked!!!!!
    We've been accident free for 4 days and that includes naps/nightime.
    We went straight to regular underwear on Wed, they had accidents wed/Thursday and fri and have been accident free since. They can go with clothes on, in public places etc. They stop on their own when we are outside etc and tell me when they need to go. I very rarely ask them.
    We do 1 m&m for pee, and 2 m&ms for poop. I think the kicker was my best friend sent me a picture of her daughter standing with her potty and poop, my twins saw the picture and next thing I know they were pooping too! LOL now I just have to step them down off the M&Ms so we are downgrading to minis before we go cold turkey LOL

We also did pull-ups at night for a few nights but I told them they were "special night time underwear" and to make sure they didnt pee/poo in their underwear. Things have been great!
    I think we hit the perfect window too (27 months for us) becuase I would have never imagined it would be so easy.

We were on vacation for 3 weeks prior to this, and that whole time I told the kids when we got home there would be NO more diapers they were big kids and I think it just worked! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

16. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:yahoo: Congratulations!

17. lianyla

YAY for saving $$$ on diapeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Wow, Congrats!!!! :clapping:

19. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Same here. :good: Well, my dd took 3 days and my son one.

The poop thing wasn't too big of an issue around here either so I don't have any suggestions or advice. Good luck!

20. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations!!!!!! Now-do you want my two for a few days?!?! LOL!

21. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!