sometimes this mommy stuff can be gross business

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by naomi02, Jan 3, 2007.

1. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you remember my post the other day about constipation/fish oil, but Zoe's been having some trouble with it. This morning - by far - has been the grossest experience of my life.

She was sleeping, and when she started crying I went to check on her. Pretty soon it wasn't normal crying, it was that "I'm really in pain" cry, so I checked her diaper. Sure enough, it was hard & stuck again. It was so bad....like the diameter of a quarter, I was seriously worried her skin would tear. [​IMG] I didn't know what to do, and finally I ran a warm bath, locked all 3 of us in the bathroom (Johnny played on the floor with rubber duckies) and sat in the tub with her, hoping the warm water would relax her enough so she could go. Now here comes the really gross part. I actually had to grab the tiny end that was sticking out and gently pull on it while she pushed to get that thing out!! OMG ..... my poor little princess!! [​IMG] It was bad & I felt like crying with her, it just broke my heart to see her in pain.

We have appts on Mon for baby checks, and I'm hoping he can give us some suggestions on preventing this from happening again. In the meantime, I'm giving her prune juice (not diluted anymore, that didn't seem to help) extra water and cutting out all solids except fruits. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

*sigh* Now I have to go clean all the poop out of my tub..... [​IMG]

2. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you remember my post the other day about constipation/fish oil, but Zoe's been having some trouble with it. This morning - by far - has been the grossest experience of my life.

She was sleeping, and when she started crying I went to check on her. Pretty soon it wasn't normal crying, it was that "I'm really in pain" cry, so I checked her diaper. Sure enough, it was hard & stuck again. It was so bad....like the diameter of a quarter, I was seriously worried her skin would tear. [​IMG] I didn't know what to do, and finally I ran a warm bath, locked all 3 of us in the bathroom (Johnny played on the floor with rubber duckies) and sat in the tub with her, hoping the warm water would relax her enough so she could go. Now here comes the really gross part. I actually had to grab the tiny end that was sticking out and gently pull on it while she pushed to get that thing out!! OMG ..... my poor little princess!! [​IMG] It was bad & I felt like crying with her, it just broke my heart to see her in pain.

We have appts on Mon for baby checks, and I'm hoping he can give us some suggestions on preventing this from happening again. In the meantime, I'm giving her prune juice (not diluted anymore, that didn't seem to help) extra water and cutting out all solids except fruits. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

*sigh* Now I have to go clean all the poop out of my tub..... [​IMG]

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

OMG....poor little Zoe. I hope the doc gives you a cure! [​IMG]

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I've had to do that before too, not fun. I don't have any suggestions. Mine happened after they were on table food and now they get either fruit or juice everyday to prevent it.

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Poor baby! My DD has terrible constipation too, there have been many a day when we have a nice warm bath, then a good tub scrubbing afterwards.

6. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

I really feel your pain. DD has had that happen on several occasions, and it is NOT a pretty site!!! [​IMG] We had taken her to the GI for reflux and asked about the constipation issue as well. She said to either giver her 1ML of milk of magnesia daily OR 1oz of undiluted prune juice daily. I do the prune juice, and we haven't had ANY constipation since. Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

7. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I have to admit I had to help my 2 year old DS with that same thing just 2 days ago. Uck!!! My favorite constipation remedy is a TBSP or 2 of dark Karo syrup. It truly works!!!!

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

[​IMG] Poor baby girl!!! You did what any good mommy would do!!! Gross as it may be.... sorry it came to that!! I'm glad you have an appt!!

9. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

i have wanted to post about this before. Can you beleive this has happened to both of my boys a handful of times and we often add prune juice to their bottles. I have not been able to make a connection as to when this happens. THe first time i almost cried along with my son because i have never seen such a thing and did not know what to do. I also put him in the tub which helped dramaticaly. The funny thing is now whenever they cry super hard, i check their diaper to make sure it is not happening. We joke that our boys are probably saying, "why are you checking my diaper...i am hungry, or I am tired!)"