Southwest Airlines (with child under 2)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinzmom2b, Mar 30, 2009.

1. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

We are going to Disney in Oct and looking to fly SW. I was reading their site for information on cheaper fares for "infants." Olivia will be 18 months old when we go and probably over 30 lbs (she was 27 at her 1 year appt). I plan on purchasing a seat for her (unless we can get a non-stop flight...since it's only a 2 hour flight). I thought someone had said that as long as your child will sit in a seat with a seatbelt on (under age 2) then they don't require a car seat.

But, it looks like, from reading the SW info, they "require" a CRD (child restraint device). It always says it really can't be over 16 inches without compromising the seat next to it. Now, the ONLY seat I can think of that would fit that would be the Radian. I'm obviously NOT purchasing that for the trip. We have Britax Marathons, those won't work.

So, who here as flown SW, purchased a seat for an "infant?" We do not need a car seat once we get there b/c we are doing everything via Disney transportation busses to/from the airport and to/from the resort to the parks.

So, on SW, can she fly WITHOUT a CRD? I'm so confused!

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not going to be much of a help. Whenever we flew SW with our older DS, as long as he was under 2, we just kept him as a "lap child". Though, many times it was not a full flight so he would end up sitting on the seat next to me - and I would just buckle him in with the plane's seatbelt. The flight attendants never had an issue with that. Sorry I can't be of more help! But your trip sounds like a lot of fun!! Enjoy! :)

3. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mama23boys @ Mar 30 2009, 06:46 PM) [snapback]1251600[/snapback]
    Hmm, I'm not going to be much of a help. Whenever we flew SW with our older DS, as long as he was under 2, we just kept him as a "lap child".

Me too.

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Becky,

I just read this on Southwest site
    Proper use of a child restraint device (CRD) enhances child safety on aircraft. For this reason, Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend that infants and small children who weigh under 40 pounds be secured in an appropriate CRD when traveling by air.

So it is only recommend not required. I did not use a car seat on the one trip that my girls were under 2 that we purchased a seat (that was on jet blue). We took a few trip with the girls as lap children on southwest and they wound up with seats each time (but it was not to Orlando).
    Also the web fare is usually cheaper then the infant fare.

5. twinzmom2b

I haven't discounted her being a lap child yet. It's just that she is a big girl and when she wants to throw her weight around, it's not often fun...lol! We aren't booking airfare until MUCH later...you can only book through August right now anyway. I might do a lap child...simply for the fact that DH will be there and so will the twins and something or someone can entertain her. I'm actually hoping to get an early flight out in the am and hopefully they will all sleep on the plane!

Just planning ahead!

6. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

We flew once with the girls when they were under 2 and they sat on our lap. I think the rule is if they are going to use a seat you have to buy a ticket.

7. twinzmom2b

QUOTE(ljcrochet @ Mar 31 2009, 03:03 AM) [snapback]1251631[/snapback]
    Becky,

I just read this on Southwest site
    So it is only recommend not required. I did not use a car seat on the one trip that my girls were under 2 that we purchased a seat (that was on jet blue). We took a few trip with the girls as lap children on southwest and they wound up with seats each time (but it was not to Orlando).
    Also the web fare is usually cheaper then the infant fare.

Yeah, we would definitely go with the web fare...So much cheaper! And, as long as it's a reusable ticket (for 12 months), then I am fine if we would have to cancel for whatever reason.

Thanks for correcting me. I think it WAS you telling me I didn't need a carseat on SW...lol! it's all ringing a bell now! ha!

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Since you need to call them to get the reduced fare (they don't have those fares on their website), ask about the car seat too. We just flew southwest and even though the girls were lap 'babies' we always had a middle seat empty (hmmm wonder why no one wanted to sit there). In flight, we did buckle a kid into that seat while they watched dvds and no one said anything to us. However, we did hold them for take off and landing which is probably the real reason for the rule.

9. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

My DH & I flew with the boys when they were 14 mos and they were "lap children" on US Airways. I also flew alone with them last september and purchased tickets for them and they told me that they didn't HAVE to be in a CRD, actually paying for their tickets (which I was required to b/c they were over 2) was such a waste b/c one of them was on my lap the whole time, the stewardess told me that it was fine so if I were you I wouldn't pay the extra $$ unless I had to.

10. twinzmom2b

QUOTE(Leighann @ Mar 31 2009, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1251887[/snapback]
    Since you need to call them to get the reduced fare (they don't have those fares on their website), ask about the car seat too. We just flew southwest and even though the girls were lap 'babies' we always had a middle seat empty (hmmm wonder why no one wanted to sit there). In flight, we did buckle a kid into that seat while they watched dvds and no one said anything to us. However, we did hold them for take off and landing which is probably the real reason for the rule.

I'm guessing that most of those planes are 3 seats and 2 seats. Well, if we purchase 4 and they know there are 2 kids, 2 adults and a lap baby...I'm guessing they won't sell that 5th seat...how would you love to be the lucky one to purchase that on in between my whole crazy family...lol!!!

QUOTE(burbridgemom @ Mar 31 2009, 12:12 PM) [snapback]1251930[/snapback]
    My DH & I flew with the boys when they were 14 mos and they were "lap children" on US Airways. I also flew alone with them last september and purchased tickets for them and they told me that they didn't HAVE to be in a CRD, actually paying for their tickets (which I was required to b/c they were over 2) was such a waste b/c one of them was on my lap the whole time, the stewardess told me that it was fine so if I were you I wouldn't pay the extra $$ unless I had to.

Yep, that makes sense. I'm guessing if it's not Olivia on our lap the entire time, one of the twins will be there! VERY good point...didn't think of it! Can't tell this our first time flying with kids can you...hahaha!

11. Leighann

Southwest doesn't have assigned seating. You just buy a ticket and then when you check in you get a boarding number assignment. So if you go on early and you can take a whole row. GL with your travel plans!

12. ljcrochet

Becky,
    Southwest has open seating. You check in 24 hours before you flight to get your boarding pass. The boarding pass will have a letter and a number. When it is time to board, they have the A boarding passes line up. You walk on the plane and pick your own seats. You should also know that on every southwest plane I have been one the rows don't quite line up, so DH and I usually sit in front and behind each other rather then diagonally across an aisle. Much easier to pass snacks (my girls love to eat the trader joes dried fruit)

13. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We flew with the twins on SW when they were about 13 months old. We purchased a seat for them to share. Mainly so we would have more room and could all sit in the same row. However, we did not take a carseat and allowed them to sit in the seat with seatbelt on. It was not a problem as far as breaking any rules (I verified with airline before booking that seat). If the flight is full, you never know where you are going to end up sitting on SW. They do not allow you to pre-board just because you have small kids.

Good Luck and have fun!!

14. Leighann

QUOTE(momofb/gtwins @ Mar 31 2009, 11:25 AM) [snapback]1252257[/snapback]
    They do not allow you to pre-board just because you have small kids.

Maybe this depends on the airport, but both in NY and Chicago we were able to preboard on Southwest just last month.

15. ljcrochet

Southwest has family boarding between the A and B group. It used to be after the people who need help.