Spanking

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by j_and_j_twins, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by mom_stacyX2:
    Can I say I love hearing both sids of this issue. And the different disciplines we all use. I am sure we all use what works. I am also sure no one is being abusive.
    I feel more educated on the subject hearing from each and every one of you.
    I don't think this got out of hand and I commend everyone for that. All subjects of such debateable issues can quickly get out of hand and heated. I truely wasn't offended by anything.

I hope all of our kiddos are well behaved. And grow up to be respectful adults no matter which side of the fence you are on. It seems most of us on are on the fence, really not on either side.

Thank you. [​IMG]

I am with you Stacy! I find disciplining to be the most challenging part of motherhood right now and I have been reading all of these posts daily! I love that the thread kept going. Somedays I feel at a loss as to what to do with my very high-spirited 3 year olds. But, I feel like I have learned a great deal from both sides of this debate.

Can't say that my kids aren't brats though....but I am working on it! [​IMG]

Lisa

2. ~*Twinmom22*~

~*Twinmom22*~ Well-Known Member

Yes, We do beleive in spanking our children. We feel that they can understand the difference between when we spank them for doing something wrong and hitting because they are mad. We were both spanked when we were children, and there is nothing wrong with us. We both also still have a lot of respect for our elders because of this, and neither of us has ever been in any real trouble. We knew that there were consequences for our actions. We feel that it makes them respect you. I just can't stand to see an unruley child out in public embarassing their parents. I refuse to be that parent.

3. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I'm strongly against spanking. I wasn't spanked, and I believe it *could* affect your self esteem.

4. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

On Friday I was in a store and saw a mom struggling with her daughter...she was about four, in a stroller and was screaming and flinging herself everywhere. She actually flung herself back so hard the stroller tipped backwards. It was amazing to me watching this mom try and reason with this girl. IMO she should have taken her out of the store and a swat on the behind would not have hurt her. Trust me, what the girl was doing was going to hurt her more...I just think that sometimes kids can get so out of control that a little swat on the bottom (notice I said bottom and not face or head) will make them snap out of it.
    I personally believe that hitting in the face or head is actually abusive.