speaking of pacifiers...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Debbiemichelle, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

We haven't really used pacifiers much but now we are starting to use them to try and help the babies go down in the day for naps. The problem: both fall asleep with the pacifier and probably half the time it falls out and they stay asleep ad half the time they wake up when it falls out and then it feels like we are back to where we started. We are questioning whether they are worth continuing with as they work sometimes and maybe even make things worst sometimes. Did anyone else go through anything like this? Any thoughts?

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

We had that problem but eventually they learned to find it themselves. Even swaddled they got really good at reaching for it with their mouths.
    I would replace the pacifier and do nothing else (no talking, no patting) and usually they went right back to sleep.
    For us it was worth it.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

With my ODD we pushed through the paci falling out phase (replacing it when it fell out until she was old enough to do it). We had no problem ditching the paci at 2 years.

With the twins, I didn't have the energy to keep replacing it for 2 babies. That also meant that often my boob is the only thing that will soothe them. They aren't big on rocking, etc. So it can be a pain not really having anything to soothe them with. You can always try to reintroduce the paci when they are older and better able to hold it in or replace it themselves. That didn't work out for us but it may work better for you. They do however suck their thumbs now at bed time and I have no idea how I am going to break them of that when the time comes.

I personally am a big fan of the paci but I know a lot of moms aren't.

4. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

We tried it and were doing the replace thing. It was working about half. They then started not wanting them, so right now, they'd dr the decision for us.

5. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

They boys had one until they were 3 months old and then I stop cold turkey when they moved from sleeping in their swings to sleeping in their cribs because they could not keep them in. I gave it back to them when they were teething and could pick it up themselves. I made it a point to give it to them once and never go back in and give it back if it falls out of the crib. They never cry for it becuase they know once it is gone it is gone. One of them likes it more and his rarely falls out of his crib but if it does and his brother still has his he usually gives it to him or he steals it :)

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used pacis with all 3 of mine too. The girls took to them right away, but I started using them with Cooper so that I could get him off my boob while he slept. I'd switch nipples on him real fast and he wouldn't wake up. I would replace it for him when he lost it and from what I remember they learn quick how to find them.

7. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, this really helps me think about what I am doing with the whole pacifier at naps issue.