Spelling words

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by mama_dragon, Oct 2, 2014.

1. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

[SIZE=medium]First of all I HATE spelling tests.  When I was in first grade I informed my mother spelling tests were “dumb” and I didn't need to take them since I already knew how to use a dictionary.  Needless to say spelling was never something I put a lot of effort into.  So the boys have spelling tests in Kindergarten and I need ideas to help them learn their words.  This weeks 10 word list includes 4 letter and 5 letter words.  These are not easy words.  They both got 100% on their first test.  Last week was a rough week and they didn’t do as well since we honestly didn’t spend much time on it.  Flash cards do not work for them.  I have them write them 3 times each one day.  Spell them out loud to me another day.  I quizzed them last night and then had them write what they missed out 3 times each.  They have no other homework and will not have any other homework just have to study spelling words.  Suggestions or ideas?[/SIZE]

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls have had spelling homework each night since last year.  Last year the teachers made up a bingo sheet and they had to choose a square a night and do what the square said.  Here are some examples:
    1. Rainbow spelling- use three colored pencils and write (and then trace two times) each word.
    2. Write words in alphabetical order.
    3. Write each word three times.
    4. Use different fonts on the computer and type each word in three different fonts.
    5. Write a sentence using each word.
    6. Write a little story using all your words.
    7. Write each word one time and then underline the consonants and circle the vowels.

And then each thursday they do a practice test at home and if they spelling any of the them wrong, they write that word three times.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

One thing I would do is pretest on Monday, so you can ignore the words they already know.  Then, they can work on the words they don't.  Honestly, the best way to practice spelling words is to simply practice writing them.  You can take a cookie tray, fill it with shaving  cream, and have them practice writing in the shaving cream.  I like triangle spelling, where on the first line, you write the first letter, the second line the first 2 letters, and so on--the end result looks like a triangle.  Rainbow spelling is fun, they can either write the words 3 times, each time using a different color, or write it once, then trace over it in different colors.

That said, 10 words a week for K is a bit much.  The only time I can see that is if they are doing word families with all the words being related!

4. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Exactly what Sharon said.  Pretest on Monday so you know what words need the help. We use all of Sharon's ideas at school.  Some other things we've used is playdoh with stampers, rubber stamps, refrigerator magnets on cookie sheets, if you have an aqua doodle mat, those are good.  One the kids really liked is to write the words on paper with a white or light yellow crayon.  Then you can water color over the crayon and the words will go from not hardly able to be seen to clearly visible.  We'll also write the words in sharpie and have the kids dot over it with dot paint.  You can also take a 9x13 pan and put a piece of colored construction paper in the bottom of it.  Then add a then layer of rice or sand.  Then the kids can write the words into the sand or rice and see it show up.

Marissa

5. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I used to type the words into spell city and have my girls play the games.

My girls used to like writing the words with the vowels in one color and the consonants  in another color.  

6. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

Great ideas!!  Thanks!!  They just don't want to come home and doing boring spelling so its been a struggle.

I may combine the ideas and make a jar so they can pick an activity to do each night with their words.  I will do the pretest since they can spell some of the easier words.  Yes I think 10 words for K is a lot and no they are not all related this week for example the list includes went, saw, it, black, duck.  

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do a practice test at home and then I check it-whatever they didnt spell correctly I have them re-write 2 times.
    Also, I have them write their spelling words outside with sidewalk chalk.
    The morning of the test we practice them out loud in the car on the way to daycare.

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

In addition to the ideas already mentioned, you could have them play hangman with the words.

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am amazed that they have kinder spelling lists and homework at all! We're supposed to practice making numbers this month. Which they can already do, but I think reading/spelling is pretty far off.

10. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto! We have flash cards sent home for "vocab" and sight words but all words have been limited to colors and numbers that they've been working on aside from a few "bonus" words. That seems like a lot of pressure on 5-6 year olds! One of mine has come home with a worksheet once a week that if he does and takes back he gets something out of treasure chest but it's optional and I think just to give them the idea of it. My sister works at school district and said first grade is a shock though!:/

ETA: I totally love the rainbow idea though!!!! Thanks!;)

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

These are some great ideas for spelling!  In kinder, my two did not have spelling words.  They had sight words they had to learn.  Spelling started in first grade here (mine have a spelling test today).