Spin off: how old for first bra?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Leighann, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

As a spin off to Sheryl's post, for those of you with girls, how old were they when you got them a bra?  My girls are 8 and one is definitely developing faster.  She is now more comfortable wearing an undershirt under her shirts because she thinks she has breast buds (she is excited- after she read the care and keeping of me for younger girls, she CAN'T wait!).  They are small and definitely don't protrude much or require a bra, but maybe she'd be more comfortable in one.  The other child is no where near there, but now wears undershirts too just because..

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls are not there yet  They are 10.  .  One is closer than the other and she pretty much wears an tank top under her shirts every day.   
    Both of my girls have a few sports bra's that they wear as well as the hanes sports bra style training bras or the target brand bralettes 
    I want them to be comfy in their own skin, so when they start to ask for real bras, it will be time to go shopping.  No clue where though since i can't get over the padded kids bra's.

3. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I have a long ways to go before I have to worry about this!   But I remember my mom buying me a bra for my 10th birthday.    I started wearing one regularly in high school, though, just because I had to change for gym and everyone else had one.  However, I didn't *need* a bra until I got pregnant at 23.   :laughing:   My flat-chested days are over now, though.  

4. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Rachel turned 11 a few weeks ago. She's just started needing one in the last month or so. She doesn't really want to start wearing them because her friend has been wearing one for about a year and complains to her that it's uncomfortable. I will have her try several styles on. I told her it's not that big of a deal over the summer but when school starts she needs a bra or tank or something.

The twins will be 9 in October. One will probably need a bra by this time next year, she's way off the height chart & taller than big sis. No sign of development so far for N, but if she wants to start when H does, that's fine with me.

5. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

My daughter started developing little buds when she was 9. For most of her shirts, it made no difference, but there are some shirts the buds were noticeable. We bought her a little girls sports bra and she still uses that type of bra. She's now a couple months away from turning 11 and those bras are still the only thing she needs, and still, only with certain types of shirts. She's getting ready to enter 5th grade and I'm sure will become more interested in something that looks a little more like an actual bra, but right now, the little sports bra types do the job.

6. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

Both girls started wearing sport type bras at about 10, Isabel more than Isidra.  Isabel has started wearing real bras since last year (12).  She refuses to go get properly measured, even at Pink.  Ugh!  She currently wears a 32 B, but needs to move up to a C already.

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Abby wears the pull over half tank top style bras.  she's getting booblets and loves either tank tops or the drifit shirts and they are starting to be noticable

8. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sarah's 11.5 and will be going to the middle school in just over a month. She has started developing a little bit, so we did the bra shopping thing already.  I figure with her going to middle school, bras will be the norm.  Some of her classmates already looked like fully developed teen-agers.  Sarah is very thin and only about 68 lbs. at 11.5 so she'll probably be a bit later on the developing side (as was I).

We just went to Justice and got some of the little pullover bralettes.  Yes, it's pricey there, but I also figured Sarah being comfortable was an important factor also.  We go there to shop anyway for clothes so I just made it part of one of our shopping trips.  We did talk about it before hand.  She agreed she would try them on if I let her use the dressing rooms in the back of the store.  

Children's Place also sells the little bralettes online.

Marissa

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Old Navy does also...

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies!  I might just get a couple of "bralettes" for her to try.  We are dealing with some emotional outbursts about her appearance and not being comfortable in her clothes :)( breaks my heart) so it might help her feel more comfy.

11. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine are 9 and definitely do not need them yet.  I do put white undershirts on them when they wear something that is sort of see through.  And I bought a couple little "exercise" bras for my soccer player I'll have her wear those under her soccer jersey in the fall instead of the t-shirt (unless it is cold and she wears a long sleeve shirt instead).  One of mine only weighs 50 pounds though!  The other, barely more than that.

12. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We have some tank style undershirts and spaghetti-strap tanktops (only worn under other clothes) that they wear sometimes when shirts are baggy/large neckline/ really thin/it gets cold. 

They don't need anything at all and likely wont for another year for one DD and longer than that for the other. For their age,  my two are very small ( 50 inches and 53 inches) and slender ( 50 & 60 lbs)-- Pedi said small/low BMI/ high activity kiddos are more likely to develop on the later side.  Mine dance a lot & one has health issues that also are likely to delay puberty. Genetically they are also likely to be on the smaller bust size, though who knows !

They are 9 ( and 3/4) and headed to 5th grade this Fall- they are some of the tiniest kids in their grade for both height and weight. Some peers are already wearing bras and/or need to. I will make them available this winter after the second of 2 'puberty' videos they will watch, but I suspect they will wear them only because peers do long before they *actually* need to wear them. 

13. ChanceKathleen

ChanceKathleen Well-Known Member

When it's needed or when they start changing in front of others. Ask your daughter if she would be more comfortable with a bra rather than an undershirt.

14. newmomma

newmomma Well-Known Member

we had to do this year at 10. undershirts started at 9.

something interesting I learned from the endocrinologist my daughter had to see as she has had an early growth spurt and they were concerned: There is a proven link between low birth weight and early puberty.