spin-off of the flip-flops- Do you paint your toenails?

Discussion in 'General' started by rissakaye, Jul 12, 2013.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The flip-flop thread got me thinking. I always keep my toenails painted during the summer. I'm a simple person. I don't do make-up. I can't stand polish on my fingernails. But when it's sandal and flip-flop season, the toenail polish is a must.

Currently, I have a black base coat with magentaish sparkles over top. For the past 3 years prior to this I always did a amethyst color with dark purple sparkles over top. This year I've branched out quite a bit.

So, is polish a must for you? What's your color of choice?

And what age do you let your girls do their own polish? My mom let me and my sister have it quite young. I shudder to think about some of the things we did with it.

Marissa

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Yes. I always polish my toes. Particularly in the summer but also in the winter. I love a deep red or plum, but I do a lot of different colors. Not a ton of sparkles because I wear peep toes to work.

3. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

My toe nails are always painted. I wear flip flops 95% of the time so they are always showing. I do all colors. I try to coordinate with holidays, 4th red or blue, Christmas red, Halloween black or orange.

For my girls I'd say by 6 they were painting their own nails. If there was something special going on I do it but if its just a normal everyday type of day I didn't care if they did it themselves.

4. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Ha-ha, that's my one thing also. I don't have time to do make up and I am the only woman in a very casual office, but I have to have my nails done. I prefer to have my nails and toe nails silver metallic - it matches my white gold/silver or platinum rings also, plus in my opinion, it goes with everything. At times I do colors, like red, pink, purple, but 80% of the time my nails are silver and I do them myself. My toes are painted all the time, summer or winter.

Funny thing is that my almost 3 year old daughter loves green so she picked a green nail polish herself and we do her nails once in a while, she loves it :). Of course, the funny side effect of this is that her twin brother wants his nails painted also, and at times he's really cool with his green nails also :p.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I prefer blues on my toenails. It matches the veins. I should do purple and black to match the insane bruise I have since I broke my toe earlier this week. But I'll stick with blue.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do when I think about it, but it's not a must. I usually do light sparkly purple or pink most of the time, that way you can't see it when it chips or fades. ;)

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I try to keep my toes painted too but I've been slacking this summer. I do just about every color in the rainbow during the summer, in winter I stick with a few dark shades of purple.

8. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

Yep, always. Right now, it's a deep sparkly blue but usually it's reds or darker pinks.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If I have flip flops, I FOR SURE have nail polish on. No way no how otherwise! I go and get a pedicure, and then it's safe to wear flip flops. :)

10. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I usually keep my toes painted all summer long. Not so much in the winter, because I don't like the yellowish tint my toenails get if they stay painted for too long.
    I like all colors. I don't paint my finger nails at all. It bothers me for some reason. But I'll go nuts with colors on my toes.

They are actually bare right now because I had to take all polish off when we did the ET two weeks ago. And I've been lazy. HA! I'll probably paint them tonight now that I'm thinking about it.
    But bare nails don't really bother me, especially if they are healthy.

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I always, always, always paint my toenails. Usually a pink or coral, sometimes something darker in winter. I have a really light nude colour that I am enjoying this summer. But my all time favourite colour, the one I use the most & always have a bottle of in my drawer, is OPI Elephantastic Pink.

12. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Pedicures are one of the only things I splurge on year round. I obviously go less often in the winter, but in the summer I keep my toes cute! I love happy dark pink or coral colors in the summer, and darker plums in the winter.

13. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I usually keep my toes nice. I really love my feet and I think they look nice painted.

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I also do pedicures in the summer - I can usually go close to 4-6 weeks in between....I'm holding off till closer to the end of July so they'll be nice for the beach...

Abby has a box full of different shades of nail polish and I generally do hers - sometimes I'll let her come with me for a pedi but at $20 a pop I can do hers myself...

15. rrodman

Why did you have to take your polish off for ET? Never heard that.

16. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Oops! I meant egg retrieval.
    I guess because of the anesthesia. I've always been told no polish when I've had any procedure with anesthesia done.

I'm honestly not sure why it's a big deal though.

17. rrodman

Oh, they do tell me no heavy makeup for that, but never made me take off nail polish. I also haven't had anesthesia for mine. Just a local. Because I'm crazy.

18. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I couldn't wear nail polish for my ERs because I think it messes with the oxygen monitor on your finger while under anesthesia. I don't remember if they told me no toe nail polish though...

19. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I'm really bad at keeping my nails painted during the summer. During the warmer months of the school year, I try to keep them painted because I occasionally wear open toe sandals. During the winter, the only nail polish I have on is what hasn't flaked off yet.

ETA - After reading and responding to this thread, I had to go paint my toe nails. They're so pretty now! :)

20. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Always polished.

21. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Summer yes, winter no.

22. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

because if the polish has metal flecks in it (sparkly polish etc) it could cause issues...and also what Leighann said about the O2 sat monitor (on fingers anyway)

23. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Pedicures are my thing. I have Fred Flintstone feet and I like to have pretty toes. I have purple right now but I like to do blues, greens, oranges. Something out of the ordinary.

24. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

Always polished, although now I can't polish them myself..

25. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do. I will get a pedicure on my feet summer and winter. Ironically, I will not paint my fingernails because it seriously bugs me how fast the polish chips off. If I get a manicure, it's usually with clear polish.

26. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

The gel polish literally lasts at least two weeks. If I get a manicure, I always get the gel. I get. Pedicure every 2-3 weeks, winter and summer. It's my indulgence.

27. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Always in the summer. Never in the winter.

I do my own. Toasted Cocoa is my favorite color, which is funny because it is way darker and more metallic then anything i would ever put on my finger nails (if i painted them), but i love it on my toes.

28. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'm bright orange right now! It looked like summer to me. :)

29. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes. I equate toe nail polish to a bow on a bald newborn. It helps people realize these gigantic feet belong to a woman. My current color is pink but I love some blue toes and would like a French pedicure.

30. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Always painted. Any color, although I normally try to match my fingernails and I've been trying to keep those more "professional".

31. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

I started this year.
    I bought 2 colours. a gold/green mettalic and a more silver/blue metallic.
    The gold one is great. The silver one turned out more a very light shine.
    So bought a dark grey with glitter...looked awful hahah so I put the silver mettalic over the grey .....and WOW hahaha
    so 2 ugly togther is wow.

1 person likes this.
  32. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My toes are typically always painted. Sometimes in the winter there might be a week or two with no polish, but that is it. Pedicures are my one treat once a month during flip flop season and less often through the winter. I love it. Right now I have a coral orange on, but usually go with whatever color looks appealing.