Spin off:What age for regular VapoRub

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Meximeli, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Okay, I know that on the package it says 2 years of age, but I was wondering that out there in the field, at what age did you start using regular Vic's VapoRub on your kids? I've always felt that the baby vic's, while nice, didn't seem to have much affect. But regular Vic's seems kind of harsh. My girls are 26 months, but they still seem like babies to me. [​IMG]

2. Meximeli

Okay, I know that on the package it says 2 years of age, but I was wondering that out there in the field, at what age did you start using regular Vic's VapoRub on your kids? I've always felt that the baby vic's, while nice, didn't seem to have much affect. But regular Vic's seems kind of harsh. My girls are 26 months, but they still seem like babies to me. [​IMG]

3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I talked to the pharmacist once about it. He said that the problem is not with the regular is not the strength of the scent, it's the possible reaction with the sensitive skin of an infant. He said that we could try a tiny bit of the regular on the kids and if it didn't leave a rash or irritate the skin, they were fine for it.

Marissa

4. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

If they really need some relief, I would try a little on them and see what happens. There are some brands of menthol baby bath out there that help open them up too. I've used Grins and Giggles and really liked it.

5. newmomma

newmomma Well-Known Member

I used it when they were under 2. The first time I put it on thier skin and it did get red so I washed off and rub it into thier PJs after that.

Laurie

6. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

My DH is a PharmD and yes the skin irritation is what could happen. We never used Baby Vics, just the real deal. They were probably under 1 when we first used it. No problems here.

7. PurpleNurple

PurpleNurple Well-Known Member

We've never used baby Vics. We have just used the regular stuff and never had an issue with skin irritation. We did use it when they were under 1. We used it just a few times, as needed. I actually just put some on my son's chest last night.

Emily

8. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

I never used the baby vick's.

When I was a kid, I remember my mom using a handkerchief to wrap around our necks, but didn't know the reasoning, maybe it was the skin thin that was mentioned.

It's really irritating when it stains the boys' pj's though. [​IMG]

9. kelly79

kelly79 Well-Known Member

I just used it with their last cold...they are 20 months here. I used the baby Vics before. No skin problems here, but I dont use as much, as I do notice a difference in strength between the two. Just try a little bit and proceed from there.

10. Meximeli

I tried it this weekend and it worked great! No skin problems either. They were already asleep and I noticed that Bianca was having trouble breathing through her nose, I just put a little on my finger tip and reached under the collar of her PJs to smear it on her chest. Within 15 minutes she was sound asleep, breathing clearly!