Spinoff...maternity clothes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Raneysmama, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I was thinking of ordering a couple things online, but after reading the other maternity thread, I just don't know what size to get. With my DD, I wore a size Small the whole time. With my last pregnancy, I grew bigger than I did with my daughter and my clothes didn't fit so well toward the end. My worry is...I'm probably not going to get much bigger up top than I already am, so if I get big sized shirts (for the belly), won't it just hang off my shoulders on the top? Or just look plain unflattering? Could I just wear something under the shirts when I get too big for them? And just what kind of pants ARE comfortable, but somewhat stylish too?

2. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I was thinking of ordering a couple things online, but after reading the other maternity thread, I just don't know what size to get. With my DD, I wore a size Small the whole time. With my last pregnancy, I grew bigger than I did with my daughter and my clothes didn't fit so well toward the end. My worry is...I'm probably not going to get much bigger up top than I already am, so if I get big sized shirts (for the belly), won't it just hang off my shoulders on the top? Or just look plain unflattering? Could I just wear something under the shirts when I get too big for them? And just what kind of pants ARE comfortable, but somewhat stylish too?

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Yeah - mine were pretty unflattering until now - I bought a size larger than I did with my singletons and finally grew into them as a matter of a fact I hope I don't get much larger! maybe just buy a few things here and there that you can wear then buy a few more as you get larger? I gained ALL of my weight right in my belly! so that is my clothing problem area!

4. OctoberBabies

OctoberBabies Well-Known Member

I bought most of my stuff at Old Navy and Target. Yoga pants were great and Target has shirts that are much longer than most other stores. That was my main problem, finding shirts to cover my ever growing belly. With pants I wore a small from the beginning to end.

5. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

All my shirts that are long enough to cover my belly are too big in the shoulders and chest. I agree with the pp, I do have a couple shirts that are liz lange from target and they are longer than most and fit just right. I do put on weight in my thighs and bottom, so I have to buy a larger size pant than pre-preg. I haven't found one pair that I really like, except my husband's scrubs. But I know for sure that below the belly bands are more comfortable for me than full panel.
    [​IMG] HTH!!!

6. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Target seems to actually understand that pregnant women want something to actually cover their belly. Their clothes are so long....even nonmaternity. I wore my non maternity mossimo t-shirts until 5 or 6 mos pregnant. I went today and got 2 shirts for $5 (total, not each). One was just a plus size shirt, one was maternity). Both come like 3 inches below where my hip meets my thigh, and I am 7 mos along. I also bought an XL tank (not maternity) and 2 white dress shirts in a 2X (also not maternity) and they are so long I can wear them under my too-short maternity tops as a layering piece. I think I paid $10 total for those 3 pieces and they have extended my whole maternity wardrobe. I wore a L before getting pg, so I think maybe go at least one size up if the shirt is made really long and 2 sizes up if it isn't. Actually, don't bother if it isn't made long. Motherhood Maternity sucks about too-short tops as does walmart. JCpenney and target are ok...JCPenney got some new stuff in that looks like it is made longer than the usually are.