Spotting after SCH

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by FormerNoCalGirl, Apr 7, 2011.

1. FormerNoCalGirl

FormerNoCalGirl Well-Known Member

I had a pretty big bleed from a subchorionic hematoma at about 6 weeks. Tomorrow I'll be 8 weeks and I have been consistently spotting for the past two weeks. Some days it is very light, but some days, like today it is heavier. Enough to sort of be a big gush. It has been brown or reddish brown but no matter how much it is I still freak out. When I went in last Friday for a vaginal ultrasound, my Dr. said that it had shrunk, only 2 cm x 1 cm. But it is right over my cervix. Is that why I am still spotting? Anyone have stories to share about getting over an SCH. I've love to not fear going to the bathroom because I am going to see blood.

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I didnt have a SCH, but I did bleed the whole first trimester with my boys. When I say bleed, there was one incident I was standing doing dishes and I felt something warm running down my leg, I looked down and I was standing in a pool of blood. Scared the crap out of me. I carried them to 37 weeks and they are perfectly healthy little boys. I hope your spotting slows down soon, I know how scary it can be.

3. ward

ward Well-Known Member

I didn't have SCH either. But i did bleed at about 9 weeks. Was sitting in bed getting ready to relax and all of a sudden I felt this gush come out of no where. Ended up passing two HUGE clots went to ER and babies were fine. I did spot for about 2-3 weeks after some days were heavier than others really depended on my activity level. But now I do not and we are at 19 weeks and the babies are looking good.

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I did have a SCH. Mine was at 9 weeks. Just like you, at first mine was very heavy, then tapered off but lingered. My OB told me that there was nothing I could do that it would either get better or worse. She told me not to stand for more than 2 hours at a time and not to lift anything over 2 pounds, but that bed rest was not necessary. After WEEKS of spotting I noticed a trend. The more I was up the redder the blood. And if i had been relaxing it was browner and old blood. SO I put myself on bed rest. At the time I worked so I took off a Friday and Monday and stayed in bed the entire time only getting up to go to the bathroom. In my case it worked when i went back to work I was on light duty and did not do much at all. I wished I had done it sooner - it was way more than 2 weeks for me it was more like 5 or 6. From that time on, If I HAD to shop, I only went to places that I could use the electric wheelchair. I did not pick up anything, no sex, nothing strenuous until after the girls were born! I was so afraid of bleeding!!! I hope yours stops very soon!!!

5. khdood

khdood Member

FormerNoCalGirl --

First of all, I know how difficult this can be. I started spotting around the same time as you, and it lasted up until my second trimester. I had two SCH -- one was right at my cervix, the other up higher. My doctor explained that the one by my cervix he expected to cause more active bleeding longer because as the uterus grew and the placenta migrated upward away from the cervix, it had to disattach on one side or the other, causing some bleeding.

Also, after one particularly heavy bleed (for the most case, I just always had a constant brown spotting, but this one was a heavier dark red), my doctor decided to run some tests for clotting factor disorders, two of which I tested positively for. Although something like 25% of the population has these traits, she decided to treat me with higher doses of folic acid (3mg/day) and B6 (100 mg/day). She explained that some people have a hard time breaking down blood clots, and that higher levels of folic acid and b6 will break down the homocystein in the blood. I have continued these supplements throughout my pregnancy. I'm now 31 weeks.

Also, from weeks 6 through 14, I tried my absolute best to stay off my feet. Like Heathermomof5, the more I was on my feet, the more the bleeding. Although bedrest never really stopped the bleeding. My doctor only told me to avoid strenuous activity, sex, and heavy lifting. I was deciding to be extra cautious.

Best wishes :)

6. FormerNoCalGirl

So I have still been spotting daily since my SCH. I go back in on Monday for another ultrasound to see how things are progressing. However, today my spotting was almost orange in color. Should I be concerned? It has really tapered off the past few days and everything was very dark, except for the last time I used the restroom. Now I'm getting concerned again. Ugh, I just want this to end.

7. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

I had a SCH with my sons pg. I had major spotting from 6 weeks, at 12 weeks it was like a really heavy period, totally stressed me out everytime I went to the toilet...I think sometimes I actually closed my eyes when I went because I was so fearful of it. After 12 weeks I spotted on and off until 16 weeks and then it all stopped. Very stressful but everythng was good in the end. Sorry that your having to deal with this.

8. FormerNoCalGirl

So I have stopped stopping for the past few weeks after almost a month's worth after my big bleed. But I had something weird happen to me last night. I was walking and felt something coming down and it was a clot - about the size of a nickel. It was brown and I haven't had spotting or anything since then. Do you think that could have been the last of my SCH? They said it was still there on my last ultrasound, but only about 1 cm/2 cm. Anyone else have this experience. It freaked me out completely, but I'm feeling better since I haven't seen anything since in terms of bleeding/spotting. My god, pregnancy is such a mind trip.

9. Heathermomof5

Yes it is a mind trip! This is my baby #6 and I still have been freaked out! My twin pregnancy was the biggest mind trip of them all - I seriously thought I was an expert on being pregnant lol!! Not even close! With the twins I learned more about pregnancy than I ever even knew existed! I think that is why I have been so freaked out this time because I am more aware of what could happen. I imagine the clot was part of the SCH you may want to call your dr just to see what they say. I am glad you are not bleeding/spotting anymore!!!!

10. FormerNoCalGirl

Well I thought I wasn't spotting any more, but I just had some when I used the restroom. And it was definitely a little heavier than I have seen. I called my Dr. and am waiting to hear back. I just thought this was over. That the spotting would be done and I could just relax a little. I guess you don't really get the chance to relax when you are pregnant, especially with twins.

Courtney

11. Heathermomof5

Bless your heart!!!!!! What did the dr say?

12. FormerNoCalGirl

The Dr. just said as long as it is brown spotting, it is totally normal. Not to worry. She said if at any time I become really anxious I can always come in for an ultrasound. I have an appointment already for Monday the 16th, so I think I'm ok. My mom said she spotted her entire first trimester and she only had one baby, so perhaps I got this from her. You have to take the good with the bad, she also had no morning sickness which I was lucky to also have none of.

13. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am sorry you are worrying so much, I would be too BTW. :hug:
    I am glad your doctor has let you know that this is normal and you could always go in for u/s if needed.
    Hang in there!!