starting daycare on monday

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Leighann, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, The ladies are starting daycare on Monday. Since the beginning of May when I went back to work, DH and I have flexed our schedules so that I work from 5:30 am to 1:30 pm and he works from mid afternoon to evening. Obviously this schedule has its flaws- the main one being that I am starting my day at 4 am when they wake up for bottles. So I'm very happy they are going to daycare on Monday and the center is literally 2 minutes from my office so I will be able to go over there and visit during the day.

Now comes the logistical question. DH and I will bring them on Monday together, but after that DH will drop them off late morning and I will pick them up in the afternoon. DH is much bigger/stronger so he can carry both infant seats better than me. I can manage to carry both from our driveway to our front door because its a short distance, but I don't think I can manage to carry both in their seats from the day care room, out two manual doors (for safety!), and to the car. So I think I will put one in the Bjorn and the other in the infant seat. It will be a little tricky managing both and the diaper bag, but I think its doable. What do you all do? I can't wait until they walk, but my arms have never been as toned as they are now. :) BTW, they are 4 months old and weigh about 12lbs each right now.

Any suggestions, tips, stories to share are more than welcome! Thanks!

(Oh and the business officer for the daycare has 11 year old twins and she said the first year is all about logistics! Twin mommies are everywhere!) -Leighann

2. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

Well, to start with, you may be able to get away with leaving a bag for them at the daycare with all of their stuff in it. So long as everything is labeled with their names. This is what most of the daycares seem to do. Bring a change of clothes, socks, possibly little shoes and just leave them there. You may be able to leave everything else to. This way you don't necessarily have to worry about bringing a bag to and from the daycare each day. At their age though you'll want to have their "home" diaper bag in your vehicle. So the bag thing is a thought. Now, as for the 2 seats, I know our daycare is pretty good about being able to basically park right in front of the door, bring a kid out, load them up, run in and grab the other, and take that one out second. Depends on your daycare, geographic are, caliber of people going in and out, and your personal feelings on the matter. Other than that, you could simply see if one of the staff will help you carry both seats out. That would probably be the easiest and most comfortable situation. After awhile, the two fo you will get a routine going as far as taking them and picking them up and you won't think twice about how you're going to do it. When the girls first started, I was pulling out the DuoGlider, loading them both into it, rolling the DuoGlider into the daycare, down the hall and dropping them off at their classroom like that. Once they started cruising really well, I would put the brakes on, load Amber up in it, and let Emily hold on to the petruding basket in the back of the DuoGlider and walk down the hall and out of the daycare as we left. She loved it. This became routine and HAD to be adhered to otherwise they'd freak. If you have to take your stroller in with them loaded into it and then take them to the car like that, then that would be another option. Again, this way you don't have to do one then the other. You'd have them both with you at all times.

3. jennlynnmahan

jennlynnmahan Well-Known Member

We also leave our bag at the daycare and just bring extra diapers and formula as needed. I tried for awhile to carry them both together, but it has gotten impossible. DH drops them off and I pick them up. I just take one out and immediately go get the other. Usually one of the workers will be at the door waiting with the child for me. They are secure in their carseats, so I am not too worried about anything happening to them the split second I am gone.

4. BounceTigger

BounceTigger Well-Known Member

Your twins might be a little young for this, but all of the parents of twins at my center use an umbrella stroller, or something equally as easy to assemble and then carry the other twin. The bjorn might take more time than a stroller.
    As for the diaper bag, most likely all you will need to bring each day is the number of prepared bottles they'll need (you can easily find a tiny cooler bag or something for these) and any meds they'll need for the day. Diapers, wipes, extra clothes, hats, shoes, etc can all be brought in once (usually the first day) and left there and the center staff will remind you when supplies are getting low. You should also have extra empty bottles and an extra can of formula (if you bf, they should give you access to a freezer to store some in).
    Don't forget that if DH brings both carseats IN at drop-off, you'll need to bring them OUT when you pick up. Maybe you could invest in a strap for the seat so one can be placed over your shoulder? (http://www.travelingwithkids.com/product_info.php/pName/infant-car-seat-carrier)

5. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

I ditto the PP also. You keep diapers, wipes, extra clothes there. Not sure about bottles and baby food since DD didn't go to daycare til she was 3yrs old. She went to my SIL's when an infant but did pretty much the same thing and kept a can of formula there and then took a stock of baby food over too....but that was my SIL's like I said.

My only other thing that I want to kind of bring up is that you mentioned visiting them. Right now that will probably be ok, but in a couple of months in might not be. Babies go through seperation anxiety around 9 months of age...sometimes a little sooner. If this becomes the situation with your girls then it might not be a good thing to go visit them. Hard for you, yes. You will have to see how that plays out. They may not have the anxiety which is nice (DD didn't have it).

April

6. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I hope they do well on their first day!! Keep us updated.

I second the stroller advice if you can't get help carrying them out. Usually, someone will help, you just have to ask.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for your advice! I will let you guys know how it goes on Monday. I'm surprised by the range of emotions I'm feeling right now. I'm very happy with our decision, but I know I'm going to cry when I leave them on Monday.

-Leighann

8. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

It's hard isn't it. My boys are 4 months and they're 17 and 19 lbs!!! My arms are killing me. I use the stroller often, even though it's a pain for a short walk.

9. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

I would second the pulling up to the curb and bringing one out at a time, if you can't carry both. You'll be surprised how you can get used to carrying them both if you HAVE to though.

The stroller idea is a good one too, depending on ease of getting it in and out of the car/van.

Best of luck, I hope Monday goes well for ya!

10. Rachel&Emily

Rachel&Emily Well-Known Member

Hello there-

Invest in a good double stroller, leave as much as you can there (diapers, wipes, spare clothes, etc...). People will go out of their way to open doors to help you...

I back in...turn the stroller around and just put 'em in reverse. Most folks here know I've got my system down and don't mess with me too much, but every once in a while will get the outside door. I had to take bottles in every day because they could not tolerate the formula that the center had, so I just got a lunch bag that was big enough for a 6 pack of soda and put them in there - it fit under the stroller or over my shoulder if needed.

Trust me, it will take you about a week to get in the swing of things and irritated with people trying to help that are just getting in your way. :rolleyes:

I had to stop carrying them because my arms look like I should be a linebaker and that is not very attractive...

11. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

I carried them for the 1st 6 months and now we do the SBS stroller. I have also used an umbrella stroller and carried on in. Most people will open the door for you. Or, like PP said, for doors that push inward, turn around in reverse, open the door, then walk thru backwards. for doors that pull outward, open the door with one hand and use the other hand to guide in the stroller (or stand in front of it and pull it in after you). I swear you'll figure it out. I had this same concern before going but it really went much smoother than I thought. I have left one in the car and went back for the other, but now that it's hot as blazes, I don't do that. I can't lock the doors with the car running and I'm too scared to leave them even for a minute when it's so hot.

Grab an umbrella stroller, a backpack or messenger type diaper bag, and you're good to go. I also recommend these cute bumpy labels for your bottles. Super cute and you don't have to deal with writing on the bottles for daycare so that they know who is who. http://www.bumpyname.com

And, take a couple of disposable cameras. I asked the daycare workers to take some photos of the boys if they were doing something cute. They have some GREAT shots and it was such a relief to see them having a good time at daycare. I stopped worrying so much once I saw those pictures. Seems minor but seeing them smiling when I'm not there did wonders for my heart.

I hope it goes better than you expect. Shannon