Starting daycare/work

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JoellePotter, Aug 28, 2011.

1. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

So maybe I'm just stressing a bit too much. I was initially very excited, then I think it really sank in.

I've been looking for jobs off and on. We don't *need* me to work financially since most of the pay would go towards the cost of childcare, unless I worked nights and weekends which we don't want.

I interviewed for Navy Federal Credit Union on a Friday and by Monday I was offered the job. The pay is A-W-E-S-O-M-E, especially looking ahead in the future when the boys will be in school. It's only part time (minimum of 20 hours, can pick up more if I want) Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm. I am going to be putting the boys into full time day care so that my availability for work will be a lot easier and potentially pick up more than 20-25 hours, plus the cost of part time vs full time is only $20/week difference. It'll allow me days to run errands kid free. Saturdays of course my hubby will watch them if I work. Even just 20 hours will allow me to make a couple hundred a month on top of childcare.

We wanted to put them in a center, but the costs are outrageous unless we go through the base (hubby is Navy). The center on base has a 6 month - year wait, so our choice now is to go with an in home daycare. The lady seems great, but my worry is that she will need to drive the boys (along with a 2 1/2 year old boy) to take her daughter to and from preschool. The school is maybe a mile away, literally a 2 minute drive (I timed it this morning). She is approved and licensed through the Navy and we will still be given a military price, so much cheaper. She has to follow a lot more rules probably that a civilian to get the approval of the military. I am just concerned about the car thing. It drives me crazy because there's so many bad drivers out there and some people just don't know how to use car seats properly. Other than that, she seems like a great fit. She'd only have my boys, the 2 1/2 year old (so he's only 6 months older) until about noon (nap time then till 2ish ).. and then her 4 year old daughter will be there the last hour or so. Her house seems safe, lots of school type supplies, labels every where, nice fenced in patio area with tons of outside stuff to do, parks within walking distance, etc. Oh plus she has no problem with their OT and Speech Therapist coming an hour every Monday and Wednesday. We'd still keep them on the list for the center when it gets openings.

Would anyone else be concerned with this 2 minute drive? The boys have NEVER been to a daycare and very rarely been watched by a babysitter or anyone for that matter since we don't live near family at all. They've been home with me for their first 2 years. I've taken this job thinking it'll help my sanity and allow me more adult interaction other than when my husband is home.

Would it be too much to ask her to show me how she properly puts a kid in a car seat?

Am I just overreacting?

I start on Tuesday Sept 6. I'll be turning in the paperwork to base to get the ball rolling.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The drive would not concern me. As the parent, I don't think you are out of line in asking her to show you how she puts a child in a car seat. If I was watching someone else's child/ren in my home and was asked to demonstrate how I put a child in the car seat, I would not be offended. It sounds to me like you found a good spot for your children to go to. I would also have them go to her for a few hours before you start work. Do a trial run, so that when you start work it won't seem like a shock to the system. Ask her for her routine with the children so that you can tell your boys: Mommy will drop you off, you'll do x...y....z... etc and then Mommy will pick you up and take you home.
    Congratulations on the job! I wish you all the best!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't be worried about the drive. Like Nancyfuzzi said, just ask her to show you how she puts them in carseats. It does sound like it would be a wonderful fit.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

You can do it, Joelle! I think she sounds like a great fit. Like the smarter ladies above me, I think she'd be more than happy to show you how she does the car seats. Even tell her about that being your biggest anxiety, I'm sure she'd understand.

CONGRATS ON YOUR JOB! It sounds like an awesome opportunity for you and for your family. :)

5. lillysmom

lillysmom Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new job! I can relate in many ways. My boys who will be 2 in Sept. just started in a center today! Like a pp, we went last week for about an hour so they could see the new place. And today, they walked right in and started playing! I am still a ball of nerves though! I don't know if you have time to do a drop in before next week.
    Regarding the driving, if it doesn't interfere with nap, I would say it's ok. And eventually they will go to the center so it won't matter. And I think it's great they will have another little one to play with. It sounds like a great fit!!

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I think it sounds like a great arrangement. They will basically be getting 1:3 ratio, which is lower than it would be in many, if not all, centres. More adult attention is a good thing and you also have less chance of them picking up illnesses, just because they will be mixing with fewer people.

I also agree that it's absolutely no problem to walk her through using the car seats. If I were using new/different car seats to drive any of my kids I would want to be sure I was using them properly. When I started using car seats with E & E (didn't have a car the first 18 months I worked with them) their parents showed me how to install them in the car and strap the kids in and I didn't think twice about it, in fact I would have asked for a demonstration if they hadn't showed me automatically. I can't imagine a good childcare worker being annoyed at being shown that.
    I wouldn't just hand her a car seat and a child and say "show me how you put them in properly" but I would say "let me show you how our car seats work" and then demonstrate putting one in her car. The good thing about having twins is you can then get her to install the second one while you watch and make sure she's got it right. Then show how you like to strap them in-how tight you pull the straps and how you check them-and how to lock and release the catch, again you can show her with one boy while she does the other.
    Like Stephanie said you can confide to her during this that them travelling with someone else is your biggest fear, I'm sure she'll be sympathetic and want to reassure you.