Starting daycare

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Rollergiraffe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are putting the boys in daycare 2 days a week and I am nervous as all get out! I have been looking for a place that I like for a while, but the ones right near us all have very lengthy wait lists, so I started to expand my search. There's a very good one downtown just a couple of blocks from my husband's office (and still only a 5 minute drive from our house) that has openings 2 days a week starting at the beginning of the March.

So now I am going to have 2 days a week to myself, which will be crazy! I am seeing a counselor right now dealing with all this flood/contractor/lawsuit/insurance fraud/marriage falling apart/dog dying/parent/relatives with terminal illnesses garbage and she suggested that it was high time I took some time for myself and then in a few months when I am a bit more steady I can go back to work. But it freaks me out having someone else look after the kids! I know they're ready for it, I know they'll enjoy it, I know that they'll get good care, but it still scares the bejeezus out of me. Help me calm my nerves!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug:

You certainly have had more than your fair share of ____ this year! I think, honestly, it will be perfect for you-and them! You definitely need some time for you-first and foremost. And I think the boys are really going to LOVE going to school. We will be going to school in the fall, and I know that they will absolutely love it!

It will be an adjustment period, like almost everything is. I'm guessing, you may look back and go, "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

They will be in good hands! I hope you scheduled a spa day or something that first week! ;)

3. shlbifish

shlbifish Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice either but just wanted to say I'm sorry for the mess you are dealing with. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I'm sure the boys will be ok and it will be good for them to be around other little guys their age and time for you to get back on track and get some control on your life! What a great therapist to suggest that! I hope it all turns out to be a great experience and that you can get some things done! :-(

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

After all you've been through you definitely need some time to yourself! It will be weird at first but soon you will enjoy being able to drink a cup of coffee in peace and actually get some housework done long enough to enjoy before they come home to destroy it;)

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Jen, I think you'll love the break. You certainly deserve it!

No tips on the anxiety as we've been doing it since the get go and I don't know any different. I'll tell you this, though- NOTHING beats when they see you and come running and throw themselves at you. It makes all the time away so, so worth it.

I'm also voting that you take a spa day in the first week. :)

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jen, *I* am relieved that they will be in school. First of all, they're going to love it, second of all, you need the break. Maybe your husband can hang out with you occasionally on their day in school? Not do anything house related, but just hang out with Willis (that is his name, right?) and try to be nice to each other and reconnect.

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I can totally understand feeling nervous about starting daycare - but it turned out really well for the children. They enjoy going there and I am certain they get good care and make lots of new experiences.

It might take the boys a while to adjust and you might even question your decision to put them in daycare during the transition phase (we did because DS had such a hard time getting used to daycare), but it will work out.

Enjoy your alone-time!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Jen, you do deserve down time especially with everything that you have going on. The boys will probably have a little adjustment period. I would ask the daycare what their routine is, so that you can prepare the boys (I'll drop you off, you will take your coats and bags to your cubbys, color, have circle time, etc.) and assure them that you will pick them up. Think about all the new people they will meet and what they will learn at daycare. They'll be fine.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Holy crap! I only knew about half that list. Jen, you are going to explode! I think daycare two days a week is a fabulous idea. You need time to yourself to be the best mom/wife/relative/general contractor you can be.

It will be hard at first. They may cry, and it will break your heart, but they will be fine. They will have fun and make friends. Repeat often: they will be fine!!!

10. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I agree, they will adjust! If you want to read them a book, "Llama Llama misses Mama" teaches the kids about going to school and it being ok to be sad but Mama always comes back. Sorry you are dealing with so much. I hope this helps!

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thank you all! I went and handed in the paperwork on Friday and I am feeling a little better about it. The daycare has cameras in the rooms for parents to access (I think that's a little overboard, but I guess it keeps them honest), they have music instruction, computers, a preschool program when they turn 3, the meals look good, and the ratio of caregivers to kids is also pretty good. It's also 4 blocks from my husband's office so he can be there right away in an emergency.

The best part is that even for part time care they let you do a full free week of graduated transition, so next Friday I will take them and hang out with them there for an hour, and then increase the amount of time they're left there alone. I honestly don't think the twins will be too worked up about having me leave but I think it will be a bit different having to pay attention to a new schedule and more structured environment.

I think my biggest reservation is because everything we touch lately seems to turn to @#$% but my luck has to turn around at some point, right? So everyone keep your fingers crossed that this all goes well! If it works out I will be very grateful for the break. After I went and signed paperwork on Friday I basically went AWOL. I sat down and had a long lunch, read a book, went with my best friend to get a pedicure and then went for beer with my pals without anyone's consent or knowledge. Just call me Ferris!

12. rrodman

Ours has cameras too, and I hardly ever check but feel better knowing that they know people could always be watching. I trust our providers, but sometimes someone is new. I just like knowing it's there.

13. rrodman

Ours has cameras too, and I hardly ever check but feel better knowing that they know people could always be watching. I trust our providers, but sometimes someone is new. I just like knowing it's there.

14. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

It will be great. You and I are in roughly the same mental state :), and it was great for me. I didn't get any time to myself, but it was just Lena and I for 2 half days a week. Now I'm working part time, and hopefully full time come fall, which I think has made is gradual enough for all of us.

They boys will make some little friends, and in all likelihood they will love it.