Starting daycare?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sr53703, Sep 13, 2007.

1. sr53703

sr53703 Member

My husband and I are discussing whether or not to put the boys in daycare when they're about eight months old. I either have to go back to work in late January or lose my job. I miss working and being around adults, but I'm nervous about putting the little guys in day care. I know millions of people do it, but somehow it scares me (yes, these are my first kids, can you tell?).

Here's what's been keeping me up at night: Will they deal well with other people? Will they have adequate attention and stimulation? Will they get sick? Will they be able to eat ok while at day care or will their reflux act up? Will I miss them so much I won't be able to function?

How was the transition to day care for those of you who did it? We're hoping to go with a Montessori school but not sure if they'll have availability when we need it. The other option is an in-home nanny, but they're really hard to find (and expensive) where we live.

How did you all cope?
    Sarah

2. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Sarah53703 @ Sep 13 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]406701[/snapback]
    My husband and I are discussing whether or not to put the boys in daycare when they're about eight months old. I either have to go back to work in late January or lose my job. I miss working and being around adults, but I'm nervous about putting the little guys in day care. I know millions of people do it, but somehow it scares me (yes, these are my first kids, can you tell?).

Here's what's been keeping me up at night: Will they deal well with other people? Will they have adequate attention and stimulation? Will they get sick? Will they be able to eat ok while at day care or will their reflux act up? Will I miss them so much I won't be able to function?

How was the transition to day care for those of you who did it? We're hoping to go with a Montessori school but not sure if they'll have availability when we need it. The other option is an in-home nanny, but they're really hard to find (and expensive) where we live.

How did you all cope?
    Sarah

It scared me, too. BUt now they love it.
    They will do great with other people. It may take some adjusting for them, but they will love it. They will get tons of attention. My twins are sometimes not in the room they are supposed to be b/c the teachers all love on them, and sometimes take them to the office when they are on break to play. But they are always so excited to see me at the end of the day! They will get sick, but they will get sick at some point anyway. I don't think they have been significantly more sick. They will eat ok, and probably eat things at school that they do not eat at home. It's crazy. You will miss them so much you will not be able to function, for a few minutes on the first day, and every so often otherwise, but I love the adult time, and am a better parent b/c I get my adult time. I work part time, so I have the best of both worlds. Mine all go to Montessori school here.

Sorry that kind of ran on, but if it is the right choice for you, it will go great. If it isn't, then that will work out great as well. Mine have been in daycare since Maggie was 3 months old, and the twins were 2 months old.

Good luck with you decision!

3. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

FWIW:I used to teach preschool, I worked in both infants and pre-K and if you haven't already decided on a daycare/preschool my advice is start looking now. talk to other moms in your neighborhood, area, playgroup, etc and find out where their kids go and how they like it. check into your local childcare referral service. If you are not taking them to a home daycare, take the time to talk to the director and make sure your philosophies on children and development agree w/ those of the center. ask to talk with the caregivers who will be taking care of your children and maybe see if you can sit in a few different times during the day to observe. watch how they interact w/ the other children and maybe even parents. maybe ask if they have an open door policy in which the parent can come visit/observe while their children are there. many centers have wait list so now would be the time to do your research and get on the list! :)

sorry I ramble. good luck and although it will be hard at first most kids really do enjoy going to daycare

Alyson

4. twinmommy2ank

twinmommy2ank Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]Goodness Gracious: I couldn't do it. We have a Nanny, Hubby was gracious enough to switch his days off so that way we only need our Nanny 3 times a week. Monday, Thursdays, & Fridays: Meaning Tuesdays and Wednesdays are Daddy Day Care Days. Yup thats right he does all by himself. I think I'll keep him a little longer! :p [/SIZE]

5. cael0816

cael0816 Well-Known Member

I had the same issue when Gavin was born and I decided to stay at home. It was definitely worth it. I did miss talkign to adults, but I joined the twins club and have become VERY active. I also joined a play group with my church and i also started another play group. I now have alot of adult conversation time. I still miss work sometimes but i have the rest of my life to work after they grow up. money also was tight at first but it all worked out...

i know i didn't help much but I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Good luck

6. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Here's what's been keeping me up at night:

Will they deal well with other people? If they don't right off the bat, they will. It will be good for them, to get out and be socialized.

Will they have adequate attention and stimulation? Most definitely.

Will they get sick? That is inevitable. Whether they are at home or in a daycare or at a sitters, kids will get sick.

Will they be able to eat ok while at day care or will their reflux act up? Write down what you feed them, at what times and any and all meds they take at home. If they go by what you are doing, they should do just fine.

Will I miss them so much I won't be able to function? At first, probably so.

7. caba

caba Banned

I'm with you! I'm going back to work Monday! Thankfully for the first 3 months, my company offers a "return to work" program that allows me to come back part time to kinda ease back into working... then in Jan I will go back full time ...

I'm just as scared as you . .. but being a stay at home mom is not an option for us financially and for me personally. I do value my career a lot, and I miss being intelligent. I just feel like staying home with them is an endless day of baby talk, baby einstein, etc. And I miss thinking all day long. I honestly don't know if I could ever be a stay at home mom. I truly believe it is one of the hardest jobs out there. In a way it's going to be EASIER for me to be at work all day.

That being said, if I was a millionaire, I would definitely stay home, but probably get a nanny two days a week so I could get a little me time, but still have mommy and baby time.

I'm nervous about sending them to daycare. For me, it's going to my cousin's house who lives down the street. And even though it's family, I'm still worried. She has 3 kids of her own (triplets) who are 4.5 years old. They are planning on being little helpers with the twins, but it still makes me nervous. I think that no matter where they go, it's going to be a huge hard change. But like you said, millions of moms do it, and your kids will be fine. I feel like the kids adapt MUCH easier than the parents do! I'm sure there will be a transitional period for the twins, but then they will be fine. And so will mommy!

Good luck!

8. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

Will they deal well with other people? It may take some time but they will!! Ours go to my cousin's house and I was so worried they wouldnt' be okay with her and her daily visitors but after two weeks, they are doign great!

Will they have adequate attention and stimulation? Most definitely.

Will they get sick? Kid's get sick no matter what! you wouldnt' keep them from preschool or somthing like that to keep them germ free!

Will they be able to eat ok while at day care or will their reflux act up? I don't know about reflux but just make sure the teachers/providers know the routine.

Will I miss them so much I won't be able to function? the first few weeks! But it gets easier!