Starting Kindergarten - 1st Day of School Tradition

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by blessedby2, Aug 6, 2010.

1. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

My twins will be starting kindergarten in less than 3 weeks, and I'm thinking about starting a first day of school tradition with them, but I'm unsure what to do. Any thoughts on how to make this day special? So far my ideas are a homemade pancake breakfast and a decorated cookie for dessert that night after dinner. I'd love to hear your ideas too. TIA.

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We took a photo of them in front of the school with the school name in the background. I plan to do that every year.

3. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Definitely do pics ! :)

4. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

I'll do a front porch photo like I did for the 1st day of pre-school. Not exactly a tradition for the 1st day of school, but I am taking off work the week and a half prior to their first day (they start on a Wed.), we aren't going out of town, but we are doing fun stuff each day and I'm hoping to be able to do that every year. I love the special cookie after dinner idea and my girls are all about the desserts - so I'm definately stealing that one! Your post made me start thinking about other ideas - what about something special in their lunch box as a surprise - my girls are going to be separated for the first time so maybe I'll put a picture of them together in their lunch box in case they miss each other.

5. jamey

jamey Well-Known Member

We do the traditional first day of school pics in front of the house with Daddy. It's sooo sweet. In the K picks, he's of course holding them - then it transitions to sitting on his leg, then to standing side by side. It's definitely bittersweet to watch them grow. My oldest two are in 10th & 7th grade, so we have lots of pictures. Sooo sweet, and I'm glad I did it.

6. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

The "Magic School Bus" comes to my house the night before school starts. The driver fairy leaves their backpacks full of small toys, a special lovey to take in the car to school & leave in their carseat, a new book, new pencils & other school supplies that were not on the school supply list. I also buy them a card & write my thoughts, hopes & wishes for their school year. I also take photos in front of the house, in front of the school & in the classroom.

7. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

We take pictures before we head to school and go out to dinner at a restaurant of their choice.

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We do first day of school pictures and icecream after school.

9. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My dh takes the day off (or goes in late and leaves early) so he can walk down and drop the girls off at school in the morning and so we are both there waiting for them when they get out of school. We also take pictures of them standing with their backpacks on and off.

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I have some newly planted bushes and I'm going to take a picture of the girls in front of those every year for their first day. I think it is neat to see how they and the plants have grown from year to year.

11. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I was interested in reading this since this will be us just a year from now. But I have to say, I got choked up just thinking about it. :wub:

Awww, this sent me over the edge!! :cry:

12. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. Pictures are a defintely must! I will be taking tons of photos. I can't believe it is almost here - only 2 weeks away. It's all so bittersweet.