Starting solids and acid reflux or behaviour?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by waitingfortwins, Aug 2, 2013.

1. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have 6.5 month old twins and recently started on solids- 1x a day after they have their bottle. DS seems to screech and scream and cry during solids time. I have a feeling he just wants to eat eat eat and can't wait while i spoon DD. So i distract and do the "flying" spoon to the mouth and that calms him down to no screaming.

Well today after solids and a burp I layed him down and he started screeching and screaming. Does he have reflux from solids or the combination of solids and a bottle? He has also been constipated when we fed them carrots and making the same screeching sound.

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Does he already have reflux? I know that my twins, who had reflux, couldn't handle much as far as solids until more like 8 months. We tried a few times earlier, and it made their reflux a lot worse, so we backed off and decided to start solids later when they seemed able to handle it better.

3. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

I don't think he has reflux- he does spit up but I think that's bc when he sits he leans and puts pressure on his belly and spits up. He also doesn't cry when laying down after a bottle.

Maybe he's teething? Or still constipated (although filled his diaper today)? I've noticed the intensity of his crying has increased in different situations like being put in the car seat, going down for a nap, waking from a short nap etc... so maybe behavioral? I try not to pick him up when he's displaying this behavior but at times i do bc he sounds like he's in pain or is crying. He does stop once picked up but will cry after a few minutes so who knows?

4. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

It is possible your little guy is getting his own opinions. That would go along with the 'feed me faster' mentality also.
    If you are concerned about acid reflux you might try sitting him up after he eats and see if he is happier. (maybe with a boppy) It doesn't sound like classic acid reflux response but that might help you figure it out.

One other thought, if he is really loving his solids, could he be eating too much and then has an uncomfortably full stomach? I haven't heard of this but just brainstorming. My LOs were never excited about spoon feeding so they were never at risk for over eating.

If your little one just had a full diaper and it was soft and not like rabbit pellets than constipation is not the problem.
    For future reference, you can google on-line and find foods that help with diarrhea and with constipation. I know my DS's digestive track was sensitive when he first started solids. I always keep pear & prunes on hand for constipation and bananas & rice for when things were moving to fast.

Have you heard about Baby Lead Weaning? (weaning as in the english weaning- to start solids not meaning to stop milk or formula)
    We did it with our little ones and it made life so much easier and them so much happier. Now, I can't imagine feeding twins any other way, or any baby for that matter. I love the results we had with it. both my kids are good eaters and still try almost anything i offer them. (i never got the book.. just googled it and started slow)

as for the dramatic crying.. i sympathize. DD has the most dramatic 'I.am.angry/disappointed.cry'! Seriously, her 'hey i am in trouble and really hurt' cry is nothing compared to the 'i am not getting my way!' I have to stop and think every time because that cry always brings me to my feet..

Hope something in my rambling is helpful.