Stay in Bed Alarms

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by angs241, Nov 14, 2011.

1. angs241

angs241 Well-Known Member

So, falling back was not kind to us this year. DS is waking between 5:30 and 6:30 most days, waking DD and spending the rest of the time until his nap whining, unable to be comforted. We were just starting to have some luck right before the time change with staying in bed until it was light out, but the sun is up earlier, and so are the kids.

Does anyone have one of the sleep until this light comes on, or this something appears, or this number shows up alarm? I've checked them out online, but most just have mixed reviews. I'd prefer something that didn't plug in, as the only things they have in their room are their cribs (due to the 3-4 month battle of switching to "big kid" beds :gah: ).

Please let me know what you like and don't like. #3 is on the way and I can't handle this waking at 5:30 thing (until #3 gets here of course).

Thanks so much!

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know how old your twins are. I got the Good Night Light for Xmas the year the girls had just turned 3. That was too young, it didn't work. Starting around 3.5 they really took to the night light and enjoyed knowing when it was night or day. So, depending on how old yours are it might be worth it.

But since my # 3 came along and started crawling, one of the first things he destroyed was the good night light. So it's gone now.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

The problem really is that it doesn't prevent them from waking up... and in their room it wouldn't last long either.

4. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I think you want something like this to help teach them to stay in bed and keep quiet or try to get them to go back to sleep

http://www.amazon.com/Stoplight-Sleep-Enhancing-Clock-Sports/dp/B002TKLN46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321315260&sr=8-2

or there is this method

http://www.twinparenthood.com/tag/wake-up-light/

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two have the My Tot Clock It has helped them to stay in bed when they were 2. Now they will wait until I come and get them. The tot clocks do run on batteries and you can plug them in as well. Good luck on your search!

6. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We have a My Tot Clock as well. The boys are still pretty young at 2.5 so they don't fully "get it" yet. But they know when it turns blue it is time for night-nights. And they'll eventually understand that they need to stay in their crib until it turns yellow (when we go into get them and it has turned yellow we point out that because it is yellow it is now time to get out of the crib). I like that it has a lot of options. Once they start going to kindergarten, for instance, I think it will be a nice alarm clock for them to wake up to. Until then I just want them to sleep! :) I ended up buying ours through the My Tot Website because it was a little bit cheaper at $50. And I think I googled and found a 10% off code, so even with their shipping charge it ended up being a little less than what Amazon charged. You know parents are desperate for sleep when they are like me and spend $50 on a plastic clock :)

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

And now my kids are up at 5.40am every morning. I can't live like this LOL. Seriously. Ugh. The problem is that they stay in bed, but keep talking, and with our room next to theirs... yeah, nothing a clock would fix. I hope it works for you though... time to put them in bed 30 minutes later here.

8. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I've been "at war" with 5 - 5:45am wake up times for years. I FINALLY figured out a strategy that works for my youngest DD. My kids have all wanted to go to bed early and get up early. I'd try keeping them up a little later, but they'd get up at the same horrid 5:30am. About six months ago I decided to keep my youngest DD up until 9:30pm to shock her system. Well, she got up at 5:30am. I tried it a second night and she did the same. On the third night, she slept until 7:30! I backed the bed time down a little earlier and earlier until she woke up at 6:15am. She now goes to bed at 7:45 - 8:00 and sleeps until 6:00 - 6:15. She takes a two hour nap and I tried shortening that with no luck.

I've had to try this after vacations, time changes, illnesses, etc. and it always takes 3-4 nights of keeping her up super late to get her re-adjusted.

Good luck!

9. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

I beat you all ladies, mine wake up at 4am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ready to play.
    If they are not in school, they take a nap, no matter how long/short is, ds still goes to bed at the same time (around 7:30) I cannot
    keep him up, he just passes out no matter where he is. If DD sleeps until 6 or 6:30 I can't let her nap, because if she does,
    then she is up until 9 or 9:30.
    I'm an early person, but not that early! I do hear about other kids being up until 10 or 11, and that would be worse
    for me, so I guess I just have to deal with it. I am planning on purchasing the tot-clock.. My ds used
    to stay in his crib and put the music on...now they are both in full beds and I split them up. No difference.
    I wouldn't even mind if they came into our room (which they do), but they just start talking. It is cute (sometimes)
    They start singing songs and tell me "I love you mommy".
    This too shall pass :) In the meantime, I try to take naps with them :)