Staying dry overnight

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mnm000, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,
    Twin boys are 3.5 now. They have done great with potty training - I'd say pretty much full trained with few to no accidents since 2.5. It was easy! And we really haven't had problems with it. For my own sanity and because I didn't think they had bladder control, during naps and bedtime we continued to put a diaper/pull up on them. I figured it would work itself out eventually when they were ready.

Well for the past couple months, it's hit or miss, one pull up would be dry, the other's not. And then vice versa. So I started wondering if the pull up was a crutch, and decided to just give it a go. One twin has not wet the bed at all! We are at 14 days of no diapers at bedtime, just big boy underwear. The other - not that I'm keeping track.... :) - wet 11/14 days - one night 2x's in one night. I've tried pads, towels, etc etc, but there is no avoiding stripping the whole bed and washing everything, EVERY DAY! I've cut back on fluids, I've tried going in before I go to bed at 11, and making him pee, it doesn't seem to matter!

So last night, I thought, you know, he's just not ready. It broke my heart yesterday am, he hadn't called for me in the middle of the night, which so far has meant he hasn't peed, but he had, and it was starting to dry, and he was cold and wet. Who knows how long he was sleeping in it. I just feel like we aren't making progress, and I don't like him sleeping in cold pee. So I tried to put him in a pull-up, and he had a fit, ripped it off calling it for babies! My fear had been that BOTH would then want to be back in a pull up! But they showed me!

What am I going to do? Any advice? Comments?
    Thanks!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Unfortunately you can't teach them to be dry overnight, it's just something their body is either ready to do, or not. Their brain has to make the connection that they need to pee, while they are sleeping. Then it has to be able to wake them enough to get them up to go pee.

My twin son is a bit over 3.5 and isn't quite day time trained and nowhere near nighttime trained. His body just isn't quite ready yet. We're encouraging but not pushing him too much. He wears regular underwear all day when we're at home, and pees in them just a tiny bit 3-4 times a day. We still use pullups when we go out because if he's distracted at all, he'll soak himself. And he wears the overnight pullups at night.

Do you have the waterproof mattress protector's? The big ones that cover the bed? I would use one of those and not worry about a bottom sheet, they make them soft on the top. And you can buy mattress pad's for potty training at walmart with all the pullups, they are kinda expensive, but it would prevent you having to wash everything every day. :hug:

3. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I finally "tricked" him into wearing a pull up - stuffing it into his underwear and putting it all on together. And no more messy sheets! I just don't think he is ready - maybe we'll try again in a few months. Meanwhile, dry guy is still doing well. So I totally think it's just a physical milestone that will come with time.

1 person likes this.
  4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boy who trained earlier was almost 5 when he could stay dry at night, while the other one who trained earlier, was dry from the day he was day trained. Like the PPer said, they cannot control the night "training"