Steri Strips

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kaelan, May 23, 2009.

1. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i had staples after my c section and when they removed them they put on steri strips. It has been over a month now and i have noticed a sour smell coming from them, but the incision itself is not red or irritated. i believe it is just the bandages, and am concerned this means they are full of bacteria even though i have washed them every day. Can i remove the strips, or do i have to wait for my 6 week appointment and have the doctor do it?

Kenneth and Ian are 1 month old

2. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

I just took mine off in the shower when they were wet and easy to get off. I took mine off maybe a week after the staples came out some were coming off any way.

3. stacpane

stacpane Active Member

My visiting nurse told me if they hadn't fallen off on their own, I should take them off 7-10 days after they were put on!! I took them off in the shower after 7 days because the edges were all coming up.

4. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

Mine started to fall off on their own within a week, and what didn't fall off, my dr. took off at my 2 week appt.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definetly take them off, mine came off within a week-10 days for all 3 c/s I've had. :)

6. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

Mine were taken off at my 1wk checkup. I'd say definitely take them off.

7. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

yeah, a month seems too long... hopefully if you go to pull them off they will come off easily...

8. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

My DR checked mine 10 days after the c-section and told me if they hadn't fallen off in the next 5 days I could go ahead and remove them. I was scared to death to do it. I somehow felt it was holding me together! :blush: They came off very easily in the shower and surprise surprise I was still held together! ;) I'd go ahead and take them off in the shower and wash well. If the smell doesn't go away give your DR a call.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I got mine off at my 2 week re-check appt. I would call your Dr. after you get them off and you have any signs of swelling or redness on your incision.

10. annagloth

annagloth Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP's I'm a nurse too:) I would remove them especially if they are smelling.....normally they fall off on their own in 5-7 days. There must be some super adhesive on those puppies!!!!

11. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, 14 days max. I just hope that your hair hasn't grown back in too much! Do it in the shower, put shampoo on them to get them less sticky, and pull 'em off. The wound should have healed quite a bit by now, so don't worry too much about bacteria. Just take them off and clean the area well (don't scrub!), dry the area well, and you should be good.

12. LisaLonnie

LisaLonnie Well-Known Member

I think I must have set a record here and I'm so embarassed. A student dr removed my staples and used some type of glue in addition to the strips themselves. Well, I scrubbed and scrubbed every couple of days in the shower and they didn't budge. I couldn't even pull them off! Finally, I mustered up my strength the night before my 8 week post pardom appt and it was so painful. I refused to go to my visit with them still there. It still took a while for that glue residue to be completely gone too.

It's ok to laugh!!! I do.

Definitely remove them :)

13. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Two weeks is the longest they should stay on and I'm pretty sure 10 days is the minimum. I know Docs soooo often forget this important piece and it drives me nuts!

Anyway, this should be posted somewhere on here for good so when we have questions (post C) we can refer to it.

Thanks!!