Steriods, talk to me....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Abbe2b3, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Abbe2b3

Abbe2b3 Member

So we are having mono/di girls and we have made it to 29 wks so far. My pregnancy thus far has been relatively breezy. This week that kind of went out the window. Nothing major but my girls are having high dopplers and they are worried that my little one is not growing as much as her sister. So weekly scans for me and NSTs twice a week. Steriods were mentioned but not really detailed. So anyone a gotten the shot? When did you do it? How did they determine it was necessary? Just some info if you've got it, please and thank you.

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I had a baby with iugr and possibly pre e for me. It was about 26 weeks.

3. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I had them at 20 weeks (which was just silly) then again at 24 weeks. They gave them to me because I was in labor. My twins were born at almost 32 weeks and had very little breathing trouble. I assume it was because of the shots since that is quite premature as far as breathing issues go. It would have been harder for me to decide if their birth didn't seem so imminent at the time.

4. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd insist on steroids. I got steroids at about 29 weeks for PTL, and my son, born at 35 weeks had a perfect apgar, no NICU time (for breathing) and was ready to come home on time. I believe it was because of the steroids.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

30 weeks here. I went in for a routine u/s and my cervix shortened from 4 cm to 1.7 cm. I got the shots, did modified bedrest and carried them to 37w5d. Neither had breathing problems and they went home with me.

6. khdood

khdood Member

I also had one round of steroids (2 shots) at 30 weeks because my cervix had shortened from 4cm to 1.8. Early on, I had asked my perinatologist for advice on timing of the shot -- and he had said ideally around 30 weeks. The first shots are most effective, and subsequent shots don't do much. Also, he said they are effective for 2 weeks -- meaning if got them at 30 weeks, they would advance the babies lungs, creating surcafant for breathing, but only for 2 weeks. At 32 weeks, babies begin producing surcafant on their own, and so the need for steroids is moot.

I did a lot of research on the steroid shots (I got betamethasone) and the only 2 drawbacks I found were these: 1 -- it reduces babies overall weight, but not substantially (around 3% total body weight) and 2 -- it could cause a spike in my blood sugar, which it did, and so I had to get 2 insulin shots and monitor my blood sugar for 1 week until all went back to normal.

Good luck!

7. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

I had the steroids (two shots on two different days), and would do it again even though my babies didn't end up needing them. Around 32 weeks I was having loads of contractions and was put on Procardia, although the contractions were not determined to be "pre-term labour" as they were not causing any cervical change.

I was still nervous that it MIGHT at some point cause my cervix to change, and so my OB and I discussed it and I asked him to give me the steroids. The benefits outweighed the risks should my babies have been born before 34 weeks which was his cut off for latest he would give steroids.

Do remember though that the steroids only last two weeks, and then you'd have to do them again to make it count if they were to be born premature. Ask your OB to go over all of the pros and cons and how they apply to your particular situation before you make a decision.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got them at 24 weeks when I had PTL and an emergency cerclage. I truly believe they helped my babies since they were born early. :good:

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had a round at 24 weeks, 28 weeks, and 33 weeks, all due to PTL. I had no side effects other then high blood sugar levels for about 3 days.

10. ~Christine~

~Christine~ Well-Known Member

I had PTL at 26 weeks, was contracting without knowing it, was dilating 1.5cm, and my cervix was shortened too 2.4cm. I had the steroid shots then, and am very thankful to have received them in case the contractions pick up again and I have to deliver early! I would talk to your doctor and press him for them just to be safe! Good luck

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I was given the steroid shots at 34 weeks when my blood pressure spiked and one of the babies was significantly smaller (25%) than her sister. The doctors told me I'd have to deliver that week, and since one of the babies was so small - she was born at 3 lbs 11 oz, the steroids might still help her. I ended up getting one shot on Wednesday, went in for the second shot Thursday, and delivered 6 hours after that. Both of my girls had great Apgars - 9/9 and 8/9 and never needed any oxygen or breathing assistance. I have no idea if their lungs were ready or if the shots helped, but I was happy to have the shots just in case.

12. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Because my pregnancy (I also have mono/di twins) was so complicated it was pretty much guaranteed from the beginning that I would be getting the steroid shots it was just a matter of when. I believe I got the first round at 29 weeks and then again at 31-32 weeks. I was constantly having contractions and developed pre-eclampsia so all of my doctors, OB and Peri, knew I would deliver way ahead of schedule. My boys were born one month early and had absolutely no breathing problems.

13. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would absolutely get them. Anything that could make delivering preemies any easier is worth it. My Dr told me to wait until 29 weeks for shots even though I was contracting. I had the babies a few days before 29 weeks. They both had breathing issues, I always wonder if they would have helped.
    For my singletons they were both born at 36 weeks. I had the shots with one but not the other but they were both born with no breathing issues or nicu time.
    Good luck: )

14. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I had them with a singleton at 29 weeks and again with the twins at 29 weeks for PTL and positive Ffn. I went to 35 week 3 days and they both were perfect and came home with us. I would not hesitate to get the shot again. I also had a singleton born very unexpectedly at 35 weeks who had underdeveloped lungs and was in NICU and on a vent. I wish I had known I believe the shot would have helped him.