Steroid shots - routine for twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2PJ, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

I'm just curious if the steroid shots for babies' lungs are pretty routine with twin pregnancies? And if so, around what week is normal? Also, once you've had them are you good to go until delivery, or do you need them again? For example, if I have the shots at 26 weeks because they want to deliver me at 28... but then I make it two 30 or 32, will I need them again in the meantime? Hope that makes sense!

I had them at 33 weeks for my son because of premature labor. I'm going to ask the peri about it today... especially since they want to deliver me (potentially) so early.

Thanks!

2. Mommy2PJ

I'm just curious if the steroid shots for babies' lungs are pretty routine with twin pregnancies? And if so, around what week is normal? Also, once you've had them are you good to go until delivery, or do you need them again? For example, if I have the shots at 26 weeks because they want to deliver me at 28... but then I make it two 30 or 32, will I need them again in the meantime? Hope that makes sense!

I had them at 33 weeks for my son because of premature labor. I'm going to ask the peri about it today... especially since they want to deliver me (potentially) so early.

Thanks!

3. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

You usually only get them is there is some indication that you may need to deliver early although there are doctors that give them routinely.

The shots spur both the physical development of the lungs and a chemical change. The optimal effect on lung development comes 48 hours - 7 days after the first shot. During that time, both the physical and chemical changes are in place. Then the chemical changes start to decrease and are gone a little after 2 weeks. The physical changes remain.

You will usually only get one round of steroids shots because there are no complete studies about the risk of multiples rounds. Sometimes doctors will give two rounds. We received our steroid shots at 25 weeks before an amnioreduction procedure but we didn't deliver until 35.3 weeks. At that point, Sierra had mature lungs but Ainsley was on a ventilator for a few days and needed surfactant.

4. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I don't think they are routinely given, just given if there is an indication of potential premature delivery. My peri thought I was going to deliver at 24 weeks so I had my first round right at 24 weeks. I made it to 30w5d and then my baby A's water broke. They gave me a rescue dose of steroids and I delivered 48 hours later.

Baby A (Lily) had no breathing assistance at all - she was on room air from the get go.

Baby B (Grace) was on some O2, then c-pap for a day, then the vent for 2 days while surfactent was administered, then back down to the canula off and on, mostly without O2 just some pressure.

Neither of them had any IVH. The steroids worked for us.

5. luv_my_kidz

luv_my_kidz Well-Known Member

My OB's office does routinely give them. They give them around your 28 week mark to anyone with a multiples pregnancy. Of course, they give you the option to decline.

I had mine at 27 weeks because of a little scare, but things are back on track now and I will be 30 weeks Friday. YEAH!

6. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Like pps said some doctors routinely give them in multiple pregnancies because there is a higher chance of premature delivery. Others will wait until complications arrive.
    Given my history with my singletons and because of some complications Madison was having I got the steriod injections at 24 weeks on the dot. I got a total of 4 shots, they were given 6 hours apart. My ds I got the steriods the 2 days before delivery, 4 shots, 12 hours apart.
    I never repeated the shots. My son did very well with them, he was only intubated off and on for 3 days when he was born at 27 weeks (thats really good). And the girls who are 32 weekers, they never needed any oxygen at all, they had been breathing on their own from delivery.

7. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My peri did not do them routinely, only if it was warranted. I had the shots at 28 weeks after a positive fFN test. I did not need the shots again. I have only heard of them being given once (a series of 2 shots, 24 hours apart). My babies were born at 34w4d and did not need oxygen. I like to think that the steroid shots really helped!

8. Mommy2PJ

Thanks for the info - cause as always, I forgot to ask the doctor my questions! lol

9. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

My doctor does them as a precaution for all twin moms at 32 weeks unless they are needed sooner. I'm surprised all doctors don't do this since there is no harm in doing so. I was induced at 37w2d and both babies were perfect and went home with me 2 days later.

10. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

My office gives them if indicated by signs of pre-term labor. I had them at 28 wks. I've actually asked them to do it again if they could, but both OB and peri said there's no reason to, and there's some out there who thing that could even be harmful. So one set and I hope it's enough!
    Those buggers really sting!

11. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

I was given the shots due to a bad car wreck @ 25 weeks, so I think it's only if they suspect an early delivery?? I made it to 36 weeks and had to delivery because pre-eclampsia & the girls had TTTS. What a crazy pregnancy!!! All turned out great, P Good luck with your pregnancy & birth.

My little girls,
    Shae & Drew Nov 24/03
    My new little man,
    Stone Jackson Oct 24/06